Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Sport

Notices

World of Sport Discuss all other sport. Includes betting and gambling threads.

Old 21-01-2019, 10:09 PM

Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksop Palace View Post
Mmmm. GB would probably know better than me, but....

That’s a shot penalty for me. Ball at rest, making a ‘stroke’ (irrelevant whether it’s practice or not)

Whatever, get rid of that habit
R&A definition of 'stroke':

"The forward movement of your club made to strike the ball."

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 21-01-2019, 10:15 PM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Mmmm. GB would probably know better than me, but....

That’s a shot penalty for me. Ball at rest, making a ‘stroke’ (irrelevant whether it’s practice or not)

Whatever, get rid of that habit
We need VAR on this.

The ball is not yet in play, so can re tee without penalty.
Old 21-01-2019, 10:16 PM
Bring Back Elgin

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Boy View Post
We need VAR on this.

The ball is not yet in play, so can re tee without penalty.
Ok, fair enough.

Wouldn’t get away with it in my fiddle !
Old 21-01-2019, 10:20 PM

Away came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAway came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Ok, fair enough.

And indeed I didn't.

Worse, it played on my mind. Hit the second into a bush and everything went to pot. I spent the front nine being accused of being a bandit, and the back nine ... well, being accused of being a bandit protecting his handicap.

I did point out that it was my playing partners who decided on the ruling that ruined my game.

I have to develop the mental side.
Old 22-01-2019, 07:09 AM
I'm not divorced

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Ok, fair enough.

They don`t play by the rules. Shocking

Are your blokes the kind who say “one” when the ball falls off the tee?
Old 22-01-2019, 07:13 AM
I'm not divorced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Away View Post
And indeed I didn't.

Worse, it played on my mind. Hit the second into a bush and everything went to pot. I spent the front nine being accused of being a bandit, and the back nine ... well, being accused of being a bandit protecting his handicap.

I did point out that it was my playing partners who decided on the ruling that ruined my game.

I have to develop the mental side.

An excellent book imo full of ancient buddhist anecdotes on life and how they relate to how we think onthe golf course.
Old 22-01-2019, 07:53 AM
Bring Back Elgin

Worksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is hereWorksop Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf Boy View Post
They don`t play by the rules. Shocking

Are your blokes the kind who say “one” when the ball falls off the tee?

‘Wanker’ is the usual one
Old 22-01-2019, 01:01 PM

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Away View Post
I have a question about rules. I’m on the par 3 10th, teed up, lining up my swing. I have a habit, which I think I will kill once and for all anyway, of swinging up to the dead ball to sort of get my eye into the line. On this occasion, unfortunately I tap the ball and it drops off the tee.

There’s a discussion and the view is taken, that since I had addressed the ball, it counted as a shot. So I play my second shot from the ground as the ball lay.

I don’t mind the decision, though I think it’s probably wrong as, as far as I can tell, the deciding factor in the rules as to whether a stroke has been made, is the intention to strike the ball.

More annoyingly, it put me off my game. Having scored 22 points going out, I only scored 11 coming back.

So can anyone say categorically which rule applies and why?

I'd say your pals had been waiting for that and were also not happy about your -4 under first 9. Well played lads.
Old 22-01-2019, 01:09 PM

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
Try and stay with me here for no reward.

I had the opposite of that on Sunday playing a winter greensomes league match. We are in a strong position and playing the bottom pairing. They had holed all 7 putts they had from 6-15ft which was impressive, and that kept it to all square down the last. My partner and I were +2 gross to compete with that. Anyhoo, we're 7ft away and they are 5ft away after 4 (par 5), and they offer a half on the putts for a point each. It's a generous offer, but I declined despite having the disadvantage as "we're here to play competitive sport". I think we were rewarded for that bravery by holing and them missing, winning +1. Yay!
Old 22-01-2019, 02:34 PM
I'm not divorced

“Halves?”

“I only drink pints”
Old 22-01-2019, 04:55 PM

Mike Douglas is like ice, their footing does betrayMike Douglas is like ice, their footing does betrayMike Douglas is like ice, their footing does betrayMike Douglas is like ice, their footing does betrayMike Douglas is like ice, their footing does betrayMike Douglas is like ice, their footing does betrayMike Douglas is like ice, their footing does betrayMike Douglas is like ice, their footing does betrayMike Douglas is like ice, their footing does betrayMike Douglas is like ice, their footing does betrayMike Douglas is like ice, their footing does betray
Might as well stick my oar in. Before you make your first stroke on a hole from the teeing ground, the ball is not in play and so there is no penalty for accidentally causing it to move in this circumstance, e.g. with a practice swing. A ball may then be replaced anywhere within the teeing ground to continue play.

A "stroke" is any swing forward of a golf club by a golfer who is trying to strike the golf ball. A swing of a club that is voluntarily stopped prior to making contact with the ball, or a swing that is completed but with the golfer intentionally missing the ball, is not a stroke.

Last edited by Mike Douglas; 22-01-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 22-01-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
I'd say your pals had been waiting for that and were also not happy about your -4 under first 9. Well played lads.

To be fair my group were pretty relaxed about it but one of them went to ask (in good faith) someone in the group behind who shall we say is one of those more confident types.

I’m not inclined to argue about such things and wasn’t sure myself. But ...

... I’ve now ordered GB’s recommendation of zen golf.
Old 22-01-2019, 06:12 PM

eaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is here
As others have said

No penalty as a ball on the tee is not in play and you were not intending to play and were obviously taking a practice swing. Anywhere else on the course (other than the green) it would be a penalty because the ball is now in play. It has nothing to do with the ball being addressed*
Old 25-01-2019, 02:43 AM
Panty Organizer

Funk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is hereFunk Butter Sam the man is here
I can't even hit a stationary ball and an NFL quarterback just rolls up to the driving range, throws back a few beers and does this.

Old 25-01-2019, 07:41 AM
Bring Back Elgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglejez View Post
As others have said

No penalty as a ball on the tee is not in play and you were not intending to play and were obviously taking a practice swing. Anywhere else on the course (other than the green) it would be a penalty because the ball is now in play. It has nothing to do with the ball being addressed*
Has there been a rule change then ? If you have addressed your ball on the green and it moves, it’s a stroke penalty, no ?

I’m no longer a member of a club so rule changes have passed me by somewhat
Old 25-01-2019, 07:51 AM
I'm not divorced

Quote:
Has there been a rule change then ? If you have addressed your ball on the green and it moves, it’s a stroke penalty, no ?

Not anymore. I can’t vouch for what rule your mates play though
Old 25-01-2019, 07:52 AM
I'm not divorced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Butter View Post
I can't even hit a stationary ball and an NFL quarterback just rolls up to the driving range, throws back a few beers and does this.

That’s not that hard tbh.

For some people that is easier than hitting a still ball.
Old 25-01-2019, 07:56 AM
I'm not divorced

Old 25-01-2019, 09:17 AM

eaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is here
Quote:

yep - I think quite a few new rules are coming in this year
Old 25-01-2019, 09:57 AM
I'm not divorced

One of them is a quota on how many times Worksop gets to play Turnberry.