Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 02:12 PM
Ichiro!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffled Bob 2 View Post
What's a crypto-fascist? I've heard the phrase all my life but never really looked into it.

And why is Trump one? Serious questions.
I had heard it once before, took some remembering but I recall there was an episode of red dwarf many many years ago where they went back in time to discover a 17 year old lister who kept using the phrase crypto-fascist.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:20 PM
Policy advisor to God

Skintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
What's a crypto-fascist? I've heard the phrase all my life but never really looked into it.

And why is Trump one? Serious questions.
Its a fascist that has power over Superman. Crypto(nite).
Old 04-05-2016, 02:23 PM
Vapour Enthusiast

se1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is herese1eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Someone who is secretly harbours fascist views but keeps them under wraps to avoid condemnation.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:24 PM

Halftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHalftime Gold came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat ov CPFC View Post
Ignore the BS we get fed over here by the usual sneering soc.lib opinion writers. They know **** all about what is going on in the US because they never see much beyond the Washington cocktail hour circuit.
As you say earlier though a big issue is that its not really a left/right issue so much as an establishment/anti establishment one and most of what we hear about the US comes very much from the establishment side.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:37 PM

xmasape Sam the man is herexmasape Sam the man is herexmasape Sam the man is herexmasape Sam the man is herexmasape Sam the man is herexmasape Sam the man is herexmasape Sam the man is herexmasape Sam the man is herexmasape Sam the man is herexmasape Sam the man is herexmasape Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmasape View Post
The media over here absolutely despise Trump. When I can be bothered to watch the news some negative story or commentary about him is ever present. He's certainly going to win the primary in a landslide.
Ahem...
Old 04-05-2016, 02:51 PM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintagain View Post
Basic error - its kryptonite

SaulAlinsky
Old 04-05-2016, 02:51 PM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmasape View Post
Ahem...

got a cough?

SaulAlinsky
Old 04-05-2016, 02:57 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
The other common mistake made from here is to judge the US by how the UK is, or has at least been. i.e. broadly the same outlook on life and politics other than the extremes of the 'City' etc. i.e. real differences here but having lived over there for 6 years I came to realise how different the attitudes to pretty much everything are regionally. This can come as a bit of a shock when you live in NYC and then go south for the first time (ignoring holiday locations which are atypical anyway). Interesting experience.

The view on the world, politics and pretty much anything shifts significantly. Less so NY state I would say although there is even now a sort of pioneer feel to attitudes in the north of the state (I don't mean they are sifting for gold - more the build it, make it, community togetherness etc.) - as an aside, very good people and statistically, I think still one of the safest places to live over there. Right, wandered enough.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:44 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
The other mistake is to think that Trump won't adjust his approach to suit the battle. He will go all out to attack Clinton; and will be less divisive in terms of issues for Republicans.

I don't think he'll win, but anyone who says he can't seems to have forgotten that was what was said about the nomination.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 04-05-2016, 03:44 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintagain View Post
If you have to explain your joke, it's a rubbish joke.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 04-05-2016, 03:55 PM
Policy advisor to God

Skintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSkintagain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
If you have to explain your joke, it's a rubbish joke.
It was the best I could come up with and you have to consider the audience.
I did consider changing it to crapto-fascist and claiming that's a rubbish fascist but that would have taken even more explanation.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:02 PM

Baffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by se1eagle View Post
Someone who is secretly harbours fascist views but keeps them under wraps to avoid condemnation.
That's not Trump then!
Old 04-05-2016, 04:28 PM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat ov CPFC View Post
Clinton is going to crash and burn.

What people seem to be failing to grasp here in the UK is that we tend to get our view of the US and its political system drip-fed to us from a very small, and Washington centred, collection of supposed political experts. Who, supposedly to a man, told us all that Trump never stood a chance of getting even within spitting distance of the Republican nomination. They have no real feel for what is going on in terms of the mood in the wider US.

Now I am not claiming any sort of expertise but I tend to follow a variety of blogs and other such sources and what I am sensing in the US is that the feeling of anti-establishment feeling is much much deeper than people realise. Sure, a lot of these people are not the types to smash up their own neighbourhoods and the like and on the face of it are your average Mr and Mrs American Pie. But they are bloody angry about a whole raft of issues. And that includes a significant amount of what would have been considered the tribal democratic vote.

Clinton is pure US political establishment. She is up to her neck in both immersing the US in foreign wars, in supporting the variety of free trade agreements that have seen jobs drain out of the US and receives massive funding from the financial institutions that caused the collapse of 2008.

For many Americans this is now a case of them or us. Clinton is very much one of 'them' and Trump is the one of 'us'.

Ignore the BS we get fed over here by the usual sneering soc.lib opinion writers. They know **** all about what is going on in the US because they never see much beyond the Washington cocktail hour circuit.
Mat you do realize the primaries are not the entire voting pubic don't you?
It's very wrong to suggest that when the general public get to cast their votes the percentages will reflect those of the primaries. Even if they were to reflect the primaries Trump would be well off the pace. He has only very rarely got more than 50% of the Republican vote, that doesn't bode well for him when the general public join in. That Republican majority that didn't vote for him are much more likely to stay home come election day than vote for Trump or Clinton.
In my mind the question in this election will be which way will the Sanders supporters vote? If they all stay resolutely Democrat and switch to Clinton(which they're much more likely to do than Republicans are to vote Trump) then she will win it.
I also believe that Trump will struggle to whip up the same support from the general public as he has from Republican Party members. His spout the bullshit his (anti-establishment?) supporters want to hear methods will come under much more severe questioning once he's the Republican nominee. He'll be found out. Either that or he will have to drastically change his tone and tactics.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:57 PM

Kidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is hereKidofwonder Sam the man is here
a candidate like Trump probably means reasonable Republicans just won't turn out

Though I'm pretty sure Trump is about to become miraculously more measured, polite and moderate for the rest of the campaign.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:23 PM

xmasape Sam the man is herexmasape Sam the man is herexmasape Sam the man is herexmasape Sam the man is herexmasape Sam the man is herexmasape Sam the man is herexmasape Sam the man is herexmasape Sam the man is herexmasape Sam the man is herexmasape Sam the man is herexmasape Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidofwonder View Post
a candidate like Trump probably means reasonable Republicans just won't turn out

Though I'm pretty sure Trump is about to become miraculously more measured, polite and moderate for the rest of the campaign.
Think you'll find you're going to be wrong on both counts.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:44 PM
An Alpha Deplorable.

Mat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMat ov CPFC came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Palace View Post
Mat you do realize the primaries are not the entire voting pubic don't you?
I fully understand but would argue that given Trumps support, in the face of almost universal opposition from the Republican establishment along with, to a lesser extent, the Bernie Sanders campaign against the Democrat establishment choice of Clinton, that the wider mood in the US is to go with the candidate who is deemed to be not one of 'them'.

And that much like UKIP have benefited from a general dissatisfaction from many people who would have been considered part of the tribal Labour vote, that a similar surge could occur in the US.

Put Clinton up, who is absolutely and resolutely a fully paid up member of the US political establishment and is funded by the sorts of organisations that are despised in the US, against Trump and all the usual machinations of US political conventions go out of the window.

Trump has the momentum, Clinton is looking over her shoulder and is still not guaranteed of the nomination (although I would not wager on her failing to achieve it).

In the run up to the election Trump has plenty of time to play the conciliatory card. Where as Clinton has the whole email server investigation hanging over her along with not being able to shed the establishment label due to her requirement for its funding.

Trump can win this. He really can.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:01 PM

Loafster Sam the man is hereLoafster Sam the man is hereLoafster Sam the man is hereLoafster Sam the man is hereLoafster Sam the man is hereLoafster Sam the man is hereLoafster Sam the man is hereLoafster Sam the man is hereLoafster Sam the man is hereLoafster Sam the man is hereLoafster Sam the man is here
Trump for President Yeeee Hii
Will be interesting if nothing else
Start digging big holes in your garden and stocking up on tins and bottled water
Old 04-05-2016, 06:18 PM

Richard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is here
US reports that Kaisich has now pulled out as well ...
Old 04-05-2016, 06:23 PM

Stinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is hereStinger1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidofwonder View Post

In the current political climate, reasonable Republicans will turn out to vote for Trump. It's the crazies that won't turn out to support him.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:29 PM
Ichiro!

Adlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is hereAdlerhorst Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
US reports that Kaisich has now pulled out as well ...
Sort of inevitable.
The Defector looks like no other breaking pitch in the game. It is well-supinated, leaving the right hand of Fernandez at a fastball trajectory before the laws of physics cease to apply and the laws of awesome take over.
Closed Thread