Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 16-08-2012, 11:55 AM

Ryan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis
He should just man up; he's at far greater risk of extradition in London than he would be in Stockholm. Surely that's obvious.
I'm not a hundred percent sure this is true. As much as I'm sure all of the idiots in our government want to extradite him, surely there is much more of an appeals process through the EU etc? Sweden aren't in the EU so would probably only have one judicial review before being extradited.

As the EU opposes the death penalty, he would probably stand a good chance of not being extradited if this is what they were seeking. Although it is more than likely that the US would make this concession to have him over.

To me the sexual assault charges just seem a little too convenient. If as someone said above the charges are being accused by people who worked for wikileaks is it not possible that they negotiated this as a plea for their own freedom? That's not to say that he shouldn't stand trial, just that Sweden should make assurances that he will not be extradited to the US.
Old 16-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Vapour Enthusiast

se1eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietse1eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietse1eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietse1eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietse1eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietse1eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietse1eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietse1eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietse1eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietse1eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietse1eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
This is over 18 months old, and yet even back then the rumours are that he would be extradited to the US from Sweden, not the UK:-

Quote:
Informal discussions have already taken place between US and Swedish officials over the possibility of the WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange being delivered into American custody, according to diplomatic sources.
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 16-08-2012, 12:39 PM

weltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is hereweltklasse Sam the man is here
ecuador has now offered asylum to Assange

SaulAlinsky
Old 16-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Its gonna be a lovely day

Heb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is hereHeb 7:4 Sam the man is here
Surely a simple way out would be for the US to give assurances that they will not seek extradition from Sweden? That would allow the trial to go ahead. If he is innocent then he can go on his merry way (but the US will be entitled to look to extradite him from countries in future) if guilty, he does his time for his crime in Sweeden.
Old 16-08-2012, 12:47 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_the_eagle
I'm not a hundred percent sure this is true. As much as I'm sure all of the idiots in our government want to extradite him, surely there is much more of an appeals process through the EU etc? Sweden aren't in the EU so would probably only have one judicial review before being extradited.
Sweden are in The EU. They're not in the Eurozone which puts them on a par with The United Kingdom.

re Assange's indiscretions, this Channel4 show was quite illuminating ...
... it's all quite interesting but the pertinent stuff starts at 42:40.

It's pretty clear that ex-friends, colleagues and British journalists that he was working with believe that he has a case to answer. I have no doubt that The CIA might want to ensnare him in a trap of some sorts but I don't believe that they're that good.
Old 16-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Vapour Enthusiast

se1eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietse1eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietse1eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietse1eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietse1eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietse1eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietse1eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietse1eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietse1eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietse1eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietse1eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
I have no doubt that The CIA might want to ensnare him in a trap of some sorts but I don't believe that they're that good.
If you faced a possibility of being banged up in solitary confinement for the rest of your years, for a completely unrelated 'crime', would you take that risk? I sure as hell wouldn't.
Old 16-08-2012, 01:14 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by se1eagle
If you faced a possibility of being banged up in solitary confinement for the rest of your years, for a completely unrelated 'crime', would you take that risk? I sure as hell wouldn't.
But that's the point. Why is he more likely to get extradited from Sweden than from Britain? I know you cited 'temporary surrender' but without any links to reliable sources, that's hard to comment on.

He doesn't deny the sexual encounters with the women. As far as Channel4 and other newspaper articles are concerned, it's clear that his refusal to submit to HIV tests are true.

Like Nick Davies (I think) in the C4 show says, Assange loses all credibility by campaigning as a defender of truth but then blatantly lying over the circumstances of the case and acting like a petty dictator, sacking any staff that don't support his paranoid ramblings.

It's pretty fecking dubious to just dismiss the accusations off-hand as some CIA sting. They're serious accusations. Why won't he just go and put his side of the story. The idea that he'd be straight on a one-way ticket from Stockholm International to Guantanamo Bay in an orange jumpsuit is palpably ridiculous. Why are his concerns and desire for justice more important than 2 Swedish women who hadn't even met each other until after they both been (allegedly) molested?
Old 16-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Vapour Enthusiast

Quote:
But that's the point. Why is he more likely to get extradited from Sweden than from Britain? I know you cited 'temporary surrender' but without any links to reliable sources, that's hard to comment on.
Well that's Assange's lawyer's argument, and John Pilger's. I don't profess to be any kind of legal expert, but that's my understanding of his reasons why.

Quote:
He doesn't deny the sexual encounters with the women. As far as Channel4 and other newspaper articles are concerned, it's clear that his refusal to submit to HIV tests are true.
Is that a crime now?

Quote:
Like Nick Davies (I think) in the C4 show says, Assange loses all credibility by campaigning as a defender of truth but then blatantly lying over the circumstances of the case and acting like a petty dictator, sacking any staff that don't support his paranoid ramblings.
How did he lie over the circumstances of the case?

Quote:
It's pretty fecking dubious to just dismiss the accusations off-hand as some CIA sting. They're serious accusations.
I agree they are definitely serious allegations - I'm not dismissing them off-hand. He should stand trial for them, as soon as safeguards have been put in place to guarantee he will not be extradited to the US on unrelated charges.

Quote:
Why won't he just go and put his side of the story. The idea that he'd be straight on a one-way ticket from Stockholm International to Guantanamo Bay in an orange jumpsuit is palpably ridiculous.
The UK is supposedly on the point of storming the embassy of a sovereign nation. Given that reportedly only 2% of rape allegations in the UK make it to court, don't you think that's a bit extreme?

Quote:
Why are his concerns and desire for justice more important than 2 Swedish women who hadn't even met each other until after they both been (allegedly) molested?
They're not more important - but Assange obviously believes he is wrongly accused of a crime, and the consequences of defending himself against that accusation, in Sweden, could lead to serious consequences. Why will the Swedish authorities not interview him in the UK? He hasn't even been charged and yet an Interpol warrant has been issued.

Last edited by se1eagle; 16-08-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 16-08-2012, 01:49 PM

Ryan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRyan_the_eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Sweden are in The EU. They're not in the Eurozone which puts them on a par with The United Kingdom.
My bad, got Sweden and Norway mixed up. Ok in that case then ignore my previous point. I still don't blame him for not wanting to face trial and extradition in Sweden though.
Old 16-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Pure Codology

SE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is here
Heard on Radio 4 at lunch that the Ecuadorian embassy invited Swedish officials to interview him in London but they refused.

When they were invited to interview a suspected murderer in Serbia they agreed; suspect there's a lot of posturing going on.

My hunch is that he will eventually be allowed passage to Ecuador, where he'll eventually be assassinated/ kidnapped by U.S. Secret Services.

Either that or he'll dye his barnet and grow a massive handlebar moustache. That's the way these things generally pan out in my deluded experience.

Sir Clinton Morrison
Old 16-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Published in Private Eye, To view the link you have to Register or Login suggests that Assange considers himself a victim of Jews.

And the Guardian.

He's an oddity; and not a pleasant one.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 16-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Pure Codology

SE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:

It's pretty fecking dubious to just dismiss the accusations off-hand as some CIA sting. They're serious accusations. Why won't he just go and put his side of the story. The idea that he'd be straight on a one-way ticket from Stockholm International to Guantanamo Bay in an orange jumpsuit is palpably ridiculous. Why are his concerns and desire for justice more important than 2 Swedish women who hadn't even met each other until after they both been (allegedly) molested?
It's also dubious, though not impossible, that he suddenly became a massive sex case in a c. four day period in Sweden when nothing else of the sort has been exposed by anyone else before or since, especially after massive worldwide publicity.

There has been plenty of time for skeletons to come of the closet, so far, nada...

Sir Clinton Morrison
Old 16-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Pure Codology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz
Published in Private Eye, To view the link you have to Register or Login suggests that Assange considers himself a victim of Jews.

And the Guardian.

Fair point.

Sir Clinton Morrison
Old 16-08-2012, 01:58 PM
Vapour Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz

And the Guardian.

What a strange interview - the Guardian, which was a big supporter of Wikileaks, is hardly renowned for its pro-Israel views, hence the presence of websites like cifwatch. You'd think a man of Assange's standing would know that.
Old 16-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Pure Codology

Quote:
Originally Posted by se1eagle
What a strange interview - the Guardian, which was a big supporter of Wikileaks, is hardly renowned for its pro-Israel views, hence the presence of websites like cifwatch. You'd think a man of Assange's standing would know that.
If I remember correctly, the falling out between WL & The Guardian was when the latter deviated from an agreed procedure for releasing the leaks, it all got very tetchy between them.

Sir Clinton Morrison
Old 16-08-2012, 02:06 PM

Budgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Perhaps in this world of technology the Swedish authorities could arrange for the trail to commence with a video link to the Ecuadorian embassy.

If convicted then Ecuador can reverse their decison and hand him over to the UK Police. If found not guilty he can either go to Ecuador of return to Australia or stay in the UK.

Plenty of trials are held around the world without the accused being there, in this case he coudl be there but via video link. It would also allow the two women involved to put across their case.

[Malcolm Allison, Flamboyant manager with the fedora hat 1927 - 2010 The Eagles "Godfather" RIP
Old 16-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Vapour Enthusiast

Ecuador's Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino said neither the UK, Sweden or the US could guarantee that the Wikileaks founder would not face further prosecution in America about releasing secret documents through his website.

Old 16-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Pure Codology

Bah, I remember the halcyon days when 'extraordinary rendition' entailed a transsexual playing Hotel California on a bassoon.

It's all gone to shit, it really has...

Sir Clinton Morrison
Old 16-08-2012, 02:17 PM

maestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is here
I have little sympathy, I mean what did this guy think would happen if he kept releasing all those secret US files, they are hardly going to sit back and take it.

http://www.gurkhajustice.org.uk/
Old 16-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE5eagle
Bah, I remember the halcyon days when 'extraordinary rendition' entailed a transsexual playing Hotel California on a bassoon.

It's all gone to shit, it really has...

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ