Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 20-10-2017, 09:53 AM

switchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is hereswitchboard Sam the man is here
Clinton isn't a cult hero.
"Every time a new player comes to the club I always try to make them understand what it means to play for Crystal Palace. It's a place unlike other clubs, the fans they're just incredible and I want them to understand that. It's part of my job as a senior player to make sure they know what it is and the passion behind it." - Speroni
Old 20-10-2017, 10:56 AM

CPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is here
Legends: Eric Young, Andy Thorn, Nigel Martyn, Geoff Thomas, Alan Pardew, Andy Gray, John Salako, Ian Wright, Mark Bright, Attilio Lombardo, David Hopkin, Chris Armstrong, Julian Speroni, AJ, Dougie Freedman

Heroes: Sasa Curcic, Clinton Morrison, The Admin squads, Wilf Zaha, Michael Hughes

Cult Heroes: Fan Zhiyi, Dean Gordon, Aki Riihilahti
Old 20-10-2017, 10:57 AM
Vikings No 6

Big Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is here
Great video with Aki on the Palace site. Definite cult hero
Old 20-10-2017, 12:43 PM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy the gent View Post
Again, I only am talking about mine, and as someone who starting going in the late 80s. And I loved Johnny salad but a legend or someone without whom the team would be massively weaker, not sure about that. But that’s why it’s subjective.

Reason I posted is that people use the words all the time to the point where their stripped of real significance. Imho it should be very special player to get called a legend or club hero

I totally agree, clearly you can't judge players you havn't seen. I never saw Peter Simpson who pre war scored 165 goals in 195 appearances over six seasons. I guess he is a true legend of his day. As a veteran supporter I have been fortunate to see many legends and characters over the years from the late fifties, some of whom I quoted in my earlier post on this thread.
Old 20-10-2017, 12:44 PM
Lovely stuff

Thanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Pardew is a cult hero for me. Definitely not a legend.

Hot summer's day and sticky black tarmac, feeding ducks in the park and wishing you were far away -
Paul Weller
Old 20-10-2017, 12:48 PM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC.1990 View Post
Legends: Eric Young, Andy Thorn, Nigel Martyn, Geoff Thomas, Alan Pardew, Andy Gray, John Salako, Ian Wright, Mark Bright, Attilio Lombardo, David Hopkin, Chris Armstrong, Julian Speroni, AJ, Dougie Freedman

Heroes: Sasa Curcic, Clinton Morrison, The Admin squads, Wilf Zaha, Michael Hughes

Before your day perhaps, but add Johnny Byrne, John McCormick and Don Rogers to the legends list.
Old 20-10-2017, 02:00 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
my favourite cult hero of modern times is Aki. Earlier incarnations being Spider and Doris.
Old 20-10-2017, 03:35 PM

CPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARZET EAGLE View Post
Before your day perhaps, but add Johnny Byrne, John McCormick and Don Rogers to the legends list.
Yep, way before my time.
Old 20-10-2017, 03:41 PM
100% CPFC.

Malarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is here
Mamadou Sakho is already a cult hero
Old 20-10-2017, 03:41 PM
100% CPFC.

Malarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is hereMalarkey Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddo View Post
Darren Ambrose as to be a hero, surely. Not quite a legend though.
Definitely a legend
Old 20-10-2017, 08:41 PM
Man of the weld

Pat of the Palace Sam the man is herePat of the Palace Sam the man is herePat of the Palace Sam the man is herePat of the Palace Sam the man is herePat of the Palace Sam the man is herePat of the Palace Sam the man is herePat of the Palace Sam the man is herePat of the Palace Sam the man is herePat of the Palace Sam the man is herePat of the Palace Sam the man is herePat of the Palace Sam the man is here
Just for "that" goal, he's a legend.
Old 20-10-2017, 08:51 PM
COYP!

in-exile has disabled reputation
Nookie .. gets my vote.
Old 21-10-2017, 01:44 AM

big bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is here
The classic example of a cult figure was John Yogi Hughes. Only played about 20 something games;scored four goals, but anyone who ever saw him perform in the claret and blue still talks fondly of him. Obviously Jacko, but I'd also put David Payne, Kember, Coppell along with Cannon in the Legends bracket. They've all been still supporting the club behind the scenes.
Big Mal- cult figure- Bert Head legend.
Old 21-10-2017, 06:12 AM

New LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
For some maybe, the ones who could ignore how shit he was, but surely that elbow to Jedi had him stripped of that title.

A cult hero can be a player of limited ability though surely? In a way that’s the whole point.

Carl Veart or Dean Austin for example. Even Pardew (the player)

However, I agree that Lee blotted his copybook when he returned with Huddersfield.
Old 21-10-2017, 06:15 AM

New LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanet Eagle View Post
Pardew is a cult hero for me. Definitely not a legend.

He seemed to be a legend to many younger fans who’d never actually seen him play during his time as manager. Always thought that strange.

He was an example of a poor player who did one great thing, hence the ironic cult status.
Old 21-10-2017, 08:19 AM
GT

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPFC.1990 View Post

Dean Gordon is more deserving of cult hero status IMO. A local boy who chalked up 200+ games for us and was one of the standout performers in 93/94 (baring in mind he wasn't even a starter at the beginning of that season)
Never got the fuss about Sasa, I'd describe him as a maverick at best, but for me he was predominantly a passenger. He was good to watch, but he didn't really give a toss about us as a club, and the sort of player who was probably dreadful for morale.
I'd also give a special mention to Hermann for cult hero status. I remember his debut at home to Blackburn where he came on with about 20 mins to go. and this awkward marauding run down the left flank with a determined grimace endeared whim to the Selhurst faithful straight away.
Old 21-10-2017, 01:03 PM
Banned by Moderators

Se9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSe9 eagles came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Alan Whittle.
Old 21-10-2017, 01:10 PM

wawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwawman_15 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Koliņko? He was a bit crazy in goal but fits the cult hero criteria
Old 21-10-2017, 02:49 PM

Hal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youknowitstrue View Post

Ultimate Cult Hero
A good call. Not sure about 'ultimate' - but certainly the hardest working, most unlucky cult hero. A couple of goal in a couple of dozen games - but no defender could ever rest when facing him
Old 21-10-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad John View Post
The classic example of a cult figure was John Yogi Hughes. Only played about 20 something games;scored four goals, but anyone who ever saw him perform in the claret and blue still talks fondly of him. Obviously Jacko, but I'd also put David Payne, Kember, Coppell along with Cannon in the Legends bracket. They've all been still supporting the club behind the scenes.
Big Mal- cult figure- Bert Head legend.
Good post, how about Jack Edwards as a cult figure, and Mark Lazarus.