Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 02-08-2016, 10:53 AM
Who give you extra?

thehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietthehalifaxman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo Man View Post
Something to thank Brexit for: To view the link you have to Register or Login
Thank you.

Before, during and after the referendum I was searching for a single positive outcome to come out of a leave vote and you have found it.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:54 PM
Skin the Tagain

Skintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nth Kent Eagle View Post
Playing devil's advocate here.....if you are born clever enough to go to university you are born lucky, in that aspect anyway. I would prioritise vocational training for the rest who don't go to university. You can improve lives more for them and it would cost less.
Excellent idea, here's a method of choosing who should to uni rather than those silly, stressful and unfair exams.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 02-08-2016, 01:01 PM
Die seife bitte fräulein!

anti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissroll View Post
The 8% in the 80s covered all higher education not just universities. For sure I agree the universities are rolling in it. Benefits to the student? all about the right degree at the right university and for sure many fell for it that a degree meant/means something - not all of them do.
I'm afraid it does. Any employer for white collar work will ask for a degree regardless so you HAVE to have it, and the subsequent debt, or you won't get an interview
Old 02-08-2016, 01:03 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-addick View Post
I'm afraid it does. Any employer for white collar work will ask for a degree regardless so you HAVE to have it, and the subsequent debt, or you won't get an interview
Not entirely true.There is a lot to be said for people who acquire good experience after leaving school at 16.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 02-08-2016, 01:04 PM

anti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietanti-addick came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggineagle View Post
The so called lazy lazy young brits wont wanna know, their pushy parents will force them into uni til "something decent" turns up.
Biggin and Boreblimey, peas in a pod with their sour grapes dimwitted offspring
Old 02-08-2016, 01:07 PM

cdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is herecdm61 Sam the man is here
To view the link you have to Register or Login
UK construction shrinks at fastest pace since 2009 after Brexit vote

The index measures new orders, deliveries and employment, among other things, and is considered a key indicator in the confidence of the construction sector.

Survey respondents noted that uncertainty following the EU referendum had dampened client confidence, led to greater risk aversion, and encouraged a wait-and-see approach to decision making.

There were some reports that demand had been more resilient to Brexit than expected. But just 15 per cent of firms reported higher activity in July against 23 per cent that reported a decline.

The figures deal a further blow to a sector that was already in recession in the second quarter and has been greatly underperforming the rest of the economy, Markit said.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintagain View Post
Absolutely, there is no doubt that most things are better today than in the 60's.
OK. You now have no house of your own. You graduated with 50k debt loan and landed a 28k job. Rent is 1200 per month.

Good luck getting to where you are in life right now.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Not entirely true.There is a lot to be said for people who acquire good experience after leaving school at 16.
Oh yes. But you won't find.many job ads which don't ask for a degree.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:22 PM
Binned by Muderators

Brett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is hereBrett Sam the man is here
Quote:
Been turned down for interviews a few times for not having a degree.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:39 PM
Got my eagle eye on you.

smileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is here
Post for Olly Cromwell.

If you're going to neg someone with a rude comment for expressing their opinion in the open, try putting forward an opinion of your own in the open. Otherwise people might think you are too stupid.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:40 PM
Wasn't me

Oisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is hereOisin Sam the man is here
Would be very hard to get a work visa abroad without a degree.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:42 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Sorry to hear it.

I guess it depends on the vacancy of course, but I have always looked at a whole CV and seen people on that basis rather than just qualifications.

One of the brightest people I ever hired left school at 16 and went into the forces. He ended up as a company chairman.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 02-08-2016, 01:48 PM

eaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is hereeaglejez Sam the man is here
quite frankly when you work in the money markets, what use is Wordsworth ?
Old 02-08-2016, 01:54 PM
Up On The Triangle

fang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is herefang Sam the man is here
Quote:
Oh yes. But you won't find.many job ads which don't ask for a degree.
It's become the default and to be fair, a 'Degree' is now often a vocational qualification. Sadly, vocational qualifications and skills training has been a victim of dogma and status for years. We had a good national apprenticeship structure which could have been modernised and built on. Instead it was dismantled in the early eighties, because dogma dictated that trade unions should have no role in regulating the flow of labour and that it was for the market to dictate the demand and supply of skilled workers. The move to Unversity status by Polytechnics was argued for by academics who claimed it was essential that Polys were able to award their own degrees. But this resulted in a shift in focus and resources towards providing non vocational academic degrees. And today we have colleges of Further Education closing down because of a lack of funding. They provided training for new entrants and people in work who wanted to improve their skills or take on new ones. We've been cocking this up for decades.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:56 PM

Baffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglejez View Post
quite frankly when you work in the money markets, what use is Wordsworth ?
It could potentially save your life. Very high stress, competitive job, I would say Wordsworth might be far better for you in your downtime than cocaine or anti-depressants.
Old 02-08-2016, 01:57 PM
The Bringer of Joy

Stellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is hereStellavista Sam the man is here
Quote:
I have to say that some of the graduates I've interviewed for admin jobs over the last few years have been piss poor. Give the impression that they're too good for the job and they're are doing me a favour turning up for the interview. One of them called me 'mate'. He had a very short hearing. My best administrator is a Bangladeshi woman who left school with no qualifications at all. She's a diamond. I've nothing against graduates - I'm one myself - but some of them really do seem to have very unrealistic expectations and poor social skills.

Last edited by Stellavista; 02-08-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:03 PM
Chubby Chops balls drop

redandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
I left school at 16 and I have never been turned down for not having a degree but I am guessing that I am a bit older than you and I think that helps. The problem you have is that we are coming to the point where all the people who are in charge of hiring have come through with degrees and think that anyone who does not have a degree is a thicko. This is another tool so the rich look after the rich so unless you want to work for the council, work in retail or work in the trades you need to have a degree
"And then when it was all over, a thousand Palace fans stayed on to applaud their side's warm-down and the strains of Glad All Over crashed out across Selhurst. Daft little tune .......brave little team"

Sunday Mail 7/11/2004 after 1-1 with Arsenal
Old 02-08-2016, 02:10 PM
Skin the Tagain

Skintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is hereSkintagain Sam the man is here
Quote:
OK. You now have no house of your own. You graduated with 50k debt loan and landed a 28k job. Rent is 1200 per month.

Good luck getting to where you are in life right now.
You do have to remember that when I was buying my first place home ownership was much lower than today. The figures recently being published are also comparing things to a peak at the end of the Thatcher period. Its not impossible to buy a place if you are prepared to move out a bit as many did when I was buying my first place. The home ownership problem is easing up already due to government action that increases costs for the buy to letter's. This will almost certainly continue as there's votes in home ownership for the tories. I don't see it as insurmountable or permanent. Champagne socialists with their holidays homes aren't helping either.

Uni degrees used to be for the very few, now they are for anyone that wants it. Yes it costs but its a life choice and you'll be better off with one. As for the 50k debt, I recently worked at a place where there were a number of younger staff, living at home and doing degrees. Presumably so as not to get into such debt.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:20 PM

Hpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is hereHpalace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintagain View Post
I recently worked at a place where there were a number of younger staff, living at home and doing degrees. Presumably so as not to get into such debt.
The ability to choose your university on the basis of which university is best suited to your capabilities and the course you want is key to placing the right students in the right places. Eroding social mobility/student mobility is not a good thing.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Sorry to hear it.

I guess it depends on the vacancy of course, but I have always looked at a whole CV and seen people on that basis rather than just qualifications.

One of the brightest people I ever hired left school at 16 and went into the forces. He ended up as a company chairman.
Yes but he's not a melenial and today you're unlikely to be able to follow that path. Ok, the forces are more open but you'd need decent A levels and to pass entrance to get to Sandhurst and then you'd gain life experience, plus the army fund retraining for further careers usually in the form of a degree anyway.