Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Ľ Off Topic Ľ General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 08-08-2006, 11:34 AM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
Cyclists should be required to pass a competency test, and hold insurance.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/will-swain
Old 08-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Most Distant Eagles Fan

Te Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty air
Quote:
Originally posted by brighton_eagle
When I was a kid, there was something called the Cycling Proficiency Test. The police used to send someone round to schools with mock road signs etc.. You then had the best part of a day's briefing and practice before being given a mini-theory and practical test in order to gain your certificate. We weren't allowed to cycle to school unless we had the certificate (and the nice triangular metal lapel badge to signify this "qualification"). I guess it all became too expensive to run or was considered to be "uncool" as attitudes changed, which is a pity because the system worked in terms of improving road safety. Trouble is, look at how many cars there are on UK roads now compared with the late 1950's and early 1960's which is when I'm talking about.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:44 AM
Perth Escapee

Swoop25 endeavours to be what they aspire to appearSwoop25 endeavours to be what they aspire to appearSwoop25 endeavours to be what they aspire to appearSwoop25 endeavours to be what they aspire to appearSwoop25 endeavours to be what they aspire to appearSwoop25 endeavours to be what they aspire to appearSwoop25 endeavours to be what they aspire to appearSwoop25 endeavours to be what they aspire to appearSwoop25 endeavours to be what they aspire to appearSwoop25 endeavours to be what they aspire to appearSwoop25 endeavours to be what they aspire to appear
I hate the over cautious cyclists who obey all the signals and make it difficult for the more free spirited of us to pass.
Also pedestrians who walk at odd angles or make sudden stops , making it dificult to avoid them .... then they have the cheek to get annoyed when you knock them over. Crikey.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:47 AM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Te Pouakai
When I was a kid, there was something called the Cycling Proficiency Test.
Yup, I did that test too and got my little badge.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/will-swain
Old 08-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Most Distant Eagles Fan

Te Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty airTe Pouakai is fond of sand dunes and salty air
Quote:
Yup, I did that test too and got my little badge.
I wish I'd kept the badge now I think about it. A bit of a collector's item perhaps?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Anarchosyndicalist

Location: Nearer to inner peace than I was. Corporeally, Chippenham.
calne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Te Pouakai
Don't tar everyone with the same brush NG, please.
I sincerely hope she doesn't, otherwise we might fall out

Palace ST holder for 40 years. Palace bonded me with my Dad. I met my partner and several great friends through the club. Palace have mad, passionate, funny supporters, and ex-players who care enough about the club to stay in touch. It's a roller-coaster ride, but thatís the way we like it. And itís not plastic. Palace til I die.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:02 PM
No Islands in This Desert

welshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by norwood_girl
Why do they think they are above the law? Disobeying traffic signals, riding on the pavement, harassing pedestrians.
In all fairness, when i cycle down the bus/cycle lane it's the cars that think they are above the law by hairing down it in the rushour with no regard for cyclists...not even safe ones like me who don't jump red lights!

Quote:
Originally posted by Swoop25
Also pedestrians who walk at odd angles or make sudden stops , making it dificult to avoid them ....
...I regularly encounter pedestrians wandering three of four abreast down the cycle lane!!!
Old 08-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Anarchosyndicalist

Location: Nearer to inner peace than I was. Corporeally, Chippenham.
calne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecalne eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by welshneil
I regularly encounter pedestrians wandering three of four abreast down the cycle lane!!!
Yup - me too.

Palace ST holder for 40 years. Palace bonded me with my Dad. I met my partner and several great friends through the club. Palace have mad, passionate, funny supporters, and ex-players who care enough about the club to stay in touch. It's a roller-coaster ride, but thatís the way we like it. And itís not plastic. Palace til I die.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Coming round to the idea!

CurvyGirl wants to be part of the human raceCurvyGirl wants to be part of the human raceCurvyGirl wants to be part of the human raceCurvyGirl wants to be part of the human raceCurvyGirl wants to be part of the human raceCurvyGirl wants to be part of the human raceCurvyGirl wants to be part of the human raceCurvyGirl wants to be part of the human raceCurvyGirl wants to be part of the human raceCurvyGirl wants to be part of the human raceCurvyGirl wants to be part of the human race
Quote:
I concur with this - specially the insurance part of it.

I would also support Ken Livingstone's scheme to put number plates on Cycles - to help track down those cyclists that do flout the law and give others a bad name. Why shouldn't (some!!) cyclists be held accountable for accidents that they cause like car drivers are !!. All road going vehicles should be insured - just because it doesn't have an engine doesn't mean that its not a dangerous vehicle.

And as for riding on pavements - the pavement is for Pedestrians not burly blokes or grannies on bikes demanding that I get out of their way because they can't ride on the road - because its too dangerous.....

" Can you help me remember how to smile
Make it somehow all seem worthwhile
How on earth did I get so jaded
Life's mystery seems so faded "

" Seems Like the more I gave the less I got - Whats the use in trying?
All I get is pain - when I needed sunshine I got rain "
Old 08-08-2006, 12:27 PM

welshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewelshneil : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
It's a toughie because while I do tend to keep to the rules, if I am in fear of being hit I will move onto the path but ONLY if there are no pedestrians and then I will not go particularly quickly! I won't hair around or demand anybody move I make sure it is safe.

Unfortunately if a cycle lane is at the side of the road very few motorists seem to give a flying monkeys and will just pull into it without any warning. I have been knocked by a bus pulling in and when I kicked the side to make him stop pulling in he stopped, told me to **** off and blatantly did it again on purpose (yes he was reported)!

Until we adopt the Dutch mentality where they pretty much have a dedicated cycle network I see little solution...cyclists will always piss off motorists and vice versa. The government want cars of the road but won't encourage people to do so by improving public transport and making cycling a favourable alternative.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Cityboyinthesticks

KennyB is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyesKennyB is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyesKennyB is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyesKennyB is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyesKennyB is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyesKennyB is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyesKennyB is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyesKennyB is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyesKennyB is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyesKennyB is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyesKennyB is thinking of tomorrow. With the sunset in your eyes
Every group has their idiot contingency.

I ride a bike, and have a car.

When I am in my car I do get annoyed about aggressive cyclists who jump red lights, and those who shout at you when they are racing (too fast) up to a roundabout and you have the audacity not to let them pass, even though it's your right of way.

When I am on my bike I get pi$$ed off with cars who cut in close (because they are going too fast) along country lanes.

When I hear a motorbike screaming along I think noisy dangerous sod, but when I am on the back of my son's motorbike I worry about the dozy git in the car in front who obviously has not looked in his mirror before turning right.

So, you see, everybody has their gripes and pet hates.

But some of each of the above groups do give the others in their group a bad name.

And no, you cannot nick each and every one of them.

But if our roads had cycle lanes, if motor bikes were (possibly) allowed in more bus lanes, if car drivers would not persist in using mobile phones (even with hands-free, you are still being distracted) and so on..

Just don't get me on about white vans.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
Quote:
But if our roads had cycle lanes, if motor bikes were (possibly) allowed in more bus lanes, if car drivers would not persist in using mobile phones (even with hands-free, you are still being distracted) and so on..
Cycle lanes won't stop these tossers jumping reds
Old 08-08-2006, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Cycle lanes won't stop these tossers jumping reds
Did you make your feelings known to the dozy bitch mentioned at the start of the thread?
Old 08-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by norwood_girl
Cyclists =

Why do they think they are above the law? Disobeying traffic signals, riding on the pavement, harassing pedestrians. Where I live the local council has decided in their wisdom to make some of the pavements into cycle lanes, the pedestrians have to walk in the road!
Everything you say there I see everyday by car drivers (and no I'm not a cyclist) - going through red lights, parking on the pavement forcing pedestrians into the road, not indicating, using their mobiles etc

So everyone is evil

Old 08-08-2006, 12:45 PM

cpfc greenhithe is playing for a contract
To be fair, the City of London police are clamping down. I have seen quite a few get stopped over the last month. Anyway cyclists are just copying motorists.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:04 PM
Middle class left.

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
My bugbear at the moment is cars who overtake you immediately before a junction and turn across you - three times in the last two days.
Still I suppose some car drivers are good people and kind to animals, as well as being smelly arrogant dangerous gits who cause thousands of deaths every year.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:05 PM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by welshneil
Did you make your feelings known to the dozy bitch mentioned at the start of the thread?
I told the kid to tell an adult that mummy was drunk again
Old 08-08-2006, 02:24 PM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally posted by KennyB
if motor bikes were (possibly) allowed in more bus lanes
As a biker I am not convinced by this.

Being in a bus lane is effectively riding on the 'inside' lane.

And I don't trust car drivers enough to feel too safe there.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 08-08-2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
I told the kid to tell an adult that mummy was drunk again
Quality reply!!!
Old 08-08-2006, 02:38 PM

del is playing for a contract
the title of this thread should be changed as there are good and bad cyclist after all most of us are going to football tonight does that make us all hooligans.