Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Off Topic General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 10-02-2003, 12:55 PM
Rollercoaster rider

RednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Haven't been to Penge for years....

Just read the 'haven't been to South Norwood..' thread. Interesting to see all the memories it has stirred up.
I lived in Venner Road, near Penge East station until I was 15, when my parents moved to Bracknell, but although it's been 45 years since we moved away, good old sarf London still feels like home.
Anyone else with memories of the Penge/Sydenham area - Alexandra Park, Cator Park, the old bombed out Cricket pavillion where Alexandra Junior School now is; saturday morning pictures at the Granada, Sydenham; playing on the railway lines (!!) by the station (and several times setting fire to the railway embankment in those l o n g summer holidays. The old co-op in Penge that had those whizzy things for sending money between departments; Art Nash's music shop; Holdsworth cycles. Maple Road market.
Anyone else on here who went to Beckenham Grammar school in the 50s?
Old 10-02-2003, 03:59 PM
I'm watching you

biggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is here
Bit younger than you but I lived in Kingsdale Rd opposite your school. I remember the whizzy things in the Co-op. The button factory that burnt down in Maple Rd. I went to St Johns, Maple Rd. My family had the butchers shop opposite the Dew Drop Inn Maple Rd. Odeon for me on a Saturday morning. Beckenham baths for a swim. The bomb site behind Arpley Rd. Art Nash I knew very well. There was another record shop near The Queen Adelade, near Parrs undertakers. Playing in the old railway yard at Penge East. Cator park before they ruined the rivers.
The road flooding every winter by Penge West railway bridge. Crystal Palace park was always a good laugh. watching the racing on the old track. In the days when the market was good.
Went for a walk around Penge last year, first time for about 18 years. I could never go back there. To many people, to much concrete.

Just how many gobs, clambering for his knob? Must be the old chum brigade.

The party on the left, are now the party on the right.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:00 PM
Guns of Navarone

GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!GUCCI Eagle knows there's no such thing as tomorrow, only one-two-three-go!
Relatively nice now due to the migration of crime to Bromley.
"The West Stand has a reputation as a party area and we've got to break that. We've put together a series of measures to ensure that those people who want to watch cricket are not disrupted by those who are simply there to have a good time"The Times, back page, Wed 5 Aug 2009
Old 10-02-2003, 04:10 PM
Rollercoaster rider

RednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRednBlue : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
...and the smell from the Binzo (???)dog food factory!!!

Cheers Mickus. Other memories: the Kings Hall cinema, right near where you lived (now a supermarket I think) and Essoldo Cinema which was formerly a very famous old music hall.
Yeah, I remember the railway yard too! Me and my cousins who lived in Lucas Road were always getting chucked out of there. Wierdest thing, we lived right opposite the railway sidings and there was always noise at night with shunting coal trucks etc., but when we moved down to Bracknell it was so quiet that I couldn't sleep properly for a long time.
Our Doctor, Doctor Penny, was the Crystal Palace circuit doctor, and he took me along to the car racing a couple of times. Met some famous old timers like Ivor Bueb, Archie Scott-Brown, and John Surtees and Phil Read at the bike races

Last edited by RednBlue; 10-02-2003 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:18 PM
I'm watching you

biggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is herebiggus mickus Sam the man is here
Dr Penny was my fathers Doc. Do you remember the button factory, and the big fire?
My dads butchers was in Maple Rd from before the war, I think. I have pouched more Turkeys there, than you have had Turkey dinners. LOL
How old are you Red and Blue? I might be able to remember some names. I am 45 this year.

Old 10-02-2003, 04:26 PM

Lords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Born in Croydon Road just down from the Robin Hood, lived there for 18 years. Many fine (and not so fine) memories.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:28 PM

Anerley Eagle sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAnerley Eagle sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAnerley Eagle sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAnerley Eagle sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAnerley Eagle sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAnerley Eagle sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAnerley Eagle sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAnerley Eagle sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAnerley Eagle sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAnerley Eagle sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAnerley Eagle sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
Quote:
Originally posted by Lords Eagle
Born in Croydon Road just down from the Robin Hood, lived there for 18 years. Many fine (and not so fine) memories.
same as you been living here for 21 years and my mum still cant get rid of me.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:31 PM
Rollercoaster rider

No I don't remember the fire - we moved in 1957 when I was 15 years old - I'm was 60 a couple of months back (yippee-qualify for cheap season tickets now!!) but used to come back a lot to see my Auntie and cousins and to watch Palace games as soon as I was old enough to get a motorbike.

There were two Dr. Penny's - the old fellow and Dr. Ronald Penny who was our doc. Nice chap and as I said car mad.

I used to be fascinated by the butchers in Maple Road, especially watching them skinning rabbits! There's another memory - baked rabbit. Beautiful.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:32 PM

winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time winston the dog is singing out of tune but the beat's in time
Re: Haven't been to Penge for years....

Quote:
Originally posted by RednBlue
Just read the 'haven't been to South Norwood..' thread. Interesting to see all the memories it has stirred up.
I lived in Venner Road, near Penge East station until I was 15, when my parents moved to Bracknell, but although it's been 45 years since we moved away, good old sarf London still feels like home.
Anyone else with memories of the Penge/Sydenham area - Alexandra Park, Cator Park, the old bombed out Cricket pavillion where Alexandra Junior School now is; saturday morning pictures at the Granada, Sydenham; playing on the railway lines (!!) by the station (and several times setting fire to the railway embankment in those l o n g summer holidays. The old co-op in Penge that had those whizzy things for sending money between departments; Art Nash's music shop; Holdsworth cycles. Maple Road market.
Anyone else on here who went to Beckenham Grammar school in the 50s?
small world, my first house (as a baby/child) was the old station cottage on penge east station, then we moved to venner road too!
i remember alexandra park, playing football, and going down the big slide that looked like an elephant.
shortly after i moved to trafalgar avenue, just off the old kent rd! (scumwall land) luckily i wasnt swayed.

UP THE GLAZIERS
Old 10-02-2003, 04:39 PM
Rollercoaster rider

Re: Re: Haven't been to Penge for years....

Quote:
Originally posted by winston the dog
small world, my first house (as a baby/child) was the old station cottage on penge east station, then we moved to venner road too!
i remember alexandra park, playing football, and going down the big slide that looked like an elephant.
shortly after i moved to trafalgar avenue, just off the old kent rd! (scumwall land) luckily i wasnt swayed.
Small world indeed - we lived at number 184 - right opposite Byne Road. Looking back it's amazing all the things we managed to do as kids to amuse ourselves, pre- PS2 and BBS!! As kids we would spend hours on our bikes just racing round the park (and through the paddling pool)
Old 10-02-2003, 04:41 PM

melteagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemelteagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemelteagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemelteagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemelteagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemelteagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemelteagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemelteagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemelteagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemelteagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemelteagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
The correct title was Beckenham and Penge Grammar School and I attended aforementioned establishment from circa 1963/4
Old 10-02-2003, 04:47 PM

Anerley Eagle sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAnerley Eagle sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAnerley Eagle sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAnerley Eagle sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAnerley Eagle sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAnerley Eagle sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAnerley Eagle sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAnerley Eagle sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAnerley Eagle sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAnerley Eagle sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkAnerley Eagle sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
Quote:
Originally posted by melteagle
The correct title was Beckenham and Penge Grammar School and I attended aforementioned establishment from circa 1963/4
was this suitated where Langley Girls is now?
Old 10-02-2003, 04:54 PM
I'm watching you

It was on the corner of Kingsdale Rd, and Beckenham Rd. Oakfield took it over, and the grammer school moved to Langley Park. The school at Beck baths was the Tech, that moved to Keston. Which is where I and Neil the Eagle went.

Old 10-02-2003, 04:55 PM
I'm watching you

Ooops. The garammer shcool became Langley Park, and the Tech became Ravenswood.

Old 10-02-2003, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by biggus mickus
Ooops. The garammer shcool became Langley Park, and the Tech became Ravenswood.
I thought so, had this huge history lesson on it, when I was at Langley Girls.
Old 10-02-2003, 06:35 PM

tblock is playing for a contract
All very strange, this talk of Penge. I am the father of the baby/child who lived in Station Cottage. I can still hear the goods train that felt as if it was coming right through the house at about 12.50am. I couldn't get to sleep till it had gone. I don't know about winston, the dog, but roger the cat, that's something else. Come on you reds & blues let's knock old Terry out of the cup.
Now we haven't got a game on Saturday we can all go on the anti war march & make it massive.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:00 PM
Rollercoaster rider

Just found this site - To view the link you have to Register or Login

and here are some samples:

Penge East Station

Penge Police Station

The Grammar School
Old 11-02-2003, 08:58 AM

Justin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJustin : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Byne Road ? My first property purchase in 1990 was in Byne Road but sold it 2/3 years ago because thought the property market was about to fall. doh!!
Old 11-02-2003, 09:34 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Bought my first flat 23 Mosslea Road opp Penge East. First job was at the Nat West which was at the top of the High Street.A girl who worked there was the daughter of the bloke who owned the pub opposite.I remember the 76 semi final .We were waiting at Penge East for the train which was due in 20/25 minutes.I suggested to my mates that we go to the pub next to the station ????? . Anyway half way across the car park it dawned on all the other fans what we were doing and thought it a good idea . Up shot is 50 odd blokes in an olympic sprint to get to the pub , pint and back on the train.As a kid I can remember going in me wellies to Cator Park , past the allotments and wading in the little stream looking for tadpoles and stickle backs.Was'nt ther a putting green there? As for Sturdauy morning pictures at the Granada ,say no more. Remember the last film to be shown there ? Have a guess , a war film is a clue.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:49 PM
I'm watching you

Quote:
Originally posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE
Bought my first flat 23 Mosslea Road opp Penge East. First job was at the Nat West which was at the top of the High Street.A girl who worked there was the daughter of the bloke who owned the pub opposite.I remember the 76 semi final .We were waiting at Penge East for the train which was due in 20/25 minutes.I suggested to my mates that we go to the pub next to the station ????? . Anyway half way across the car park it dawned on all the other fans what we were doing and thought it a good idea . Up shot is 50 odd blokes in an olympic sprint to get to the pub , pint and back on the train.As a kid I can remember going in me wellies to Cator Park , past the allotments and wading in the little stream looking for tadpoles and stickle backs.Was'nt ther a putting green there? As for Sturdauy morning pictures at the Granada ,say no more. Remember the last film to be shown there ? Have a guess , a war film is a clue.
That would be the Park Tavern.

As its the Penge thread, can you name the pubs/clubs in SE20?
I think Selhurst and I did this about a year ago, and we were still shooked how many there are/were in one square mile.