Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 06-03-2018, 08:37 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Whitehorse end with my dad, brother and his mate. I was only 6 but remember so much from that great night: arriving at school with my Palace bobble hat in the morning and hearing a couple teachers saying, ‘He’s going to the game tonight you know’; crossing the Whitehorse Road and seeing a programme seller selling programmes for the FA Cup Final the following day I think? Arsenal v Man U; queuing for what felt like ages to get in....and of course bits of the game and the pitch invasion.

“Supporting Palace has a certain cult value – like pretending that some Peruvian rock band is the best in the world.”
- John Peel
Old 06-03-2018, 08:40 PM

Battle EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBattle EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBattle EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBattle EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBattle EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBattle EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBattle EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBattle EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBattle EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBattle EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBattle EAGLE : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I was there, got in early doors, then down the Rosendale to celebrate afterwards.
Still going for my sins.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:41 PM

Bernard Shakey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBernard Shakey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBernard Shakey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBernard Shakey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBernard Shakey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBernard Shakey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBernard Shakey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBernard Shakey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBernard Shakey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBernard Shakey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBernard Shakey : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Got to SP about 5.30 with my friend Dermot. In all my years supporting palace I've never seen so many people outside the ground so early, it was absolutely packed. We stood in our usual spot, on the Main stand enclosure near to the tunnel.
One odd memory was after the game during the celebrations with the players in the Directors Box applauding the fans, and vice versa, was seeing Bob Lord, the Burnley chairman, sitting in his front row seat refusing to move with our players surrounding him. Also seeing myself in Hy Money's photos of the crowd taken from the Box as I'm very tall. And yes we were at Orient the week before.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:49 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by firesign View Post
Holmesdale End - quite near the back to the right as you look out to the pitch.

13 years old with my dad (RIP), who only went to games occasionally. I usually went with my eldest brother Karl (RIP) but that night he was with some mates - think he was hoping to make a night of it. Sure enough, I heard afterwards that he ran on to the pitch and ended up going to a pub somewhere to celebrate.

My dad always insisted we left early to beat the rush and straight after the second goal he just grabbed my hand and we headed home. I was a bit gutted because I wanted to stay to right to the end - though he made up for it slightly as he bought me a bag of chips from the chippie near the corner of Melfort Road as we walked home to Norbury.

...now I never leave a game early...
Ditto. My way too. The chippie and the walk home to Norbury or Parchmore Rd/Green Lane way. Loved that shop. I bought a whole big bottle of coke from somewhere in celebration too as was only a year older than you so no booze.

Last edited by Am Phibian; 06-03-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:56 PM

Am Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is hereAm Phibian Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Whitehorse end with my dad, brother and his mate. I was only 6 but remember so much from that great night: arriving at school with my Palace bobble hat in the morning and hearing a couple teachers saying, ‘He’s going to the game tonight you know’; crossing the Whitehorse Road and seeing a programme seller selling programmes for the FA Cup Final the following day I think? Arsenal v Man U; queuing for what felt like ages to get in....and of course bits of the game and the pitch invasion.
You remember more than me and I was years older
Old 06-03-2018, 08:57 PM

wrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwrightchipvcfc came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Reminded me of the pease pudding shop in thornton Heath high street
Old 06-03-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightchipvcfc View Post
Reminded me of the pease pudding shop in thornton Heath high street
There was one called The Faggot Shop too. No US tourists at Selhurst in them days. Pity.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:43 PM
Hamsey U13+U12

eagles073 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagles073 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagles073 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagles073 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagles073 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagles073 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagles073 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagles073 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagles073 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagles073 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineeagles073 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I was in the Holmesdale with my dad, i was 6 at the time, and my dad's still with us so that's another two still following the team. Up the Palace.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:48 PM

ian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineian king : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Main Stand enclosure (towards Whitehorse Lane end) where you paid at the turnstile and walked in under the main stand and up a few steps an in. Got there about 6.15 with my girlfriend (now wife) and another two friends. Was aware of Sunderland and Stoke fans in attendance while some were on the floodlight pylon to my left. Sarah is now in her 44th continuous season and this counts as one of her top games, the other young lady with us is only just over 5'2" and had difficulty seeing some of the action.

PS - Yes all at Orient the previous weekend.

Last edited by ian king; 06-03-2018 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Previous posting.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:52 PM

stayingup knows where the wild roses growstayingup knows where the wild roses growstayingup knows where the wild roses growstayingup knows where the wild roses growstayingup knows where the wild roses growstayingup knows where the wild roses growstayingup knows where the wild roses growstayingup knows where the wild roses growstayingup knows where the wild roses growstayingup knows where the wild roses growstayingup knows where the wild roses grow
yes i was there, also went to orient the week before. 2 weeks running packed like sardines. i stood in the middle of the holmesdale.
Not heard it mentioned before but there was also thousands locked out, from where i stood you could see masses of people standing in the road between the Whitehorse and the main stand. i am guessing they was watching us to gauge how the game was going.
it would be interesting to hear from anybody who stood outside as the atmosphere was probably pretty good out there too
Old 06-03-2018, 10:04 PM

stayingup knows where the wild roses growstayingup knows where the wild roses growstayingup knows where the wild roses growstayingup knows where the wild roses growstayingup knows where the wild roses growstayingup knows where the wild roses growstayingup knows where the wild roses growstayingup knows where the wild roses growstayingup knows where the wild roses growstayingup knows where the wild roses growstayingup knows where the wild roses grow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardent Eagle Forever View Post
Strange how 25k of those on that night missed the following season. Bloody glory hunters.
we still got massive crowds the first year we got promoted
Old 06-03-2018, 11:20 PM

JannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJannerEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Arthur for me and two mates
Old 07-03-2018, 12:21 AM

Potton Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldPotton Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldPotton Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldPotton Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldPotton Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldPotton Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldPotton Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldPotton Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldPotton Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldPotton Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldPotton Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the world
I was in the Holmesdale that night
Old 07-03-2018, 04:30 AM

big bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietbig bad John came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
brought my sister to her first ever match. I was a Holmesdale regular but when we reached the Whitehorse Lane we were told that we'd be wasting our time trying to get in there. Eventually watched the match from the top of the Whitehorse. Didn't see a Burnley fan all night, although I believe there was about 30 Sunderland fans in attendance. Very tense atmosphere up until our goal.
There's always been a bit of controversy about the official attendance. Anyone who was there knows that there had to be at least 58,000 in the ground that night. With every turnstile man being on the fiddle, a gate broke down, and the old Bill letting their mates in, this might actually be a quite conservative figure. But the attendance in the next days papers and on the news that night was 51,482. This got amended a week later to 51,801. There's a story to this that I can't quite remember at the moment. Something to do with the counters going on the piss before they'd finished counting.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:36 AM

Olympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOlympian2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I was 10. Me & my Dad were season ticket holders in the Arthur.

I just remember being bloody nervous all match & there being a ton of traffic on the way home.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:37 AM

audreytatou came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaudreytatou came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaudreytatou came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaudreytatou came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaudreytatou came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaudreytatou came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaudreytatou came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaudreytatou came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaudreytatou came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaudreytatou came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietaudreytatou came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Started in the Holmesdale pissed as a parrot with two mates...then we climbed into the Arfur...and eventually climbed into the Whitehorse....i dont remember thinking it was a record breaking crowd as we got much bigger crowds back then anyway....but i do remember what seemed to be an odd slightly surreal hum around the ground and looking back at the Holmesdale it was moving like a giant swarm of bees on a hive....least that's how i remember it..Barley wine, Vodka and Ruddles will do that to you at 14.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:48 AM

Maidstonecpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstonecpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstonecpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstonecpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstonecpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstonecpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstonecpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstonecpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstonecpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstonecpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMaidstonecpfc : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Me and my mates were standing on the Arthur terracing next to the Holmesdale packed in like sardines.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:02 AM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
I was in the Arthur, 10 years old
Old 07-03-2018, 07:23 AM

hgeagle comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly Sailorhgeagle comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly Sailorhgeagle comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly Sailorhgeagle comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly Sailorhgeagle comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly Sailorhgeagle comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly Sailorhgeagle comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly Sailorhgeagle comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly Sailorhgeagle comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly Sailorhgeagle comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly Sailorhgeagle comes from Venezuela and drinks in the Jolly Sailor
In the Main Stand enclosure with my Dad and a close mate. Sadly neither still with us.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:53 AM

alf is like ice, their footing does betrayalf is like ice, their footing does betrayalf is like ice, their footing does betrayalf is like ice, their footing does betrayalf is like ice, their footing does betrayalf is like ice, their footing does betrayalf is like ice, their footing does betrayalf is like ice, their footing does betrayalf is like ice, their footing does betrayalf is like ice, their footing does betrayalf is like ice, their footing does betray
Was there on the Holmesdale