Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS Crystal Palace Football Club Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 02-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Shining Star

maxerix has to read the song lyrics on the big screenmaxerix has to read the song lyrics on the big screenmaxerix has to read the song lyrics on the big screenmaxerix has to read the song lyrics on the big screenmaxerix has to read the song lyrics on the big screenmaxerix has to read the song lyrics on the big screenmaxerix has to read the song lyrics on the big screenmaxerix has to read the song lyrics on the big screenmaxerix has to read the song lyrics on the big screenmaxerix has to read the song lyrics on the big screenmaxerix has to read the song lyrics on the big screen
WHy are we called the Eagles?

Ok i know its the bird on the emblem though why is the eagle on it and not a hawk, swallow, bluefinch or even better a kingfisher (which have our colours)? B]Answers on a postcard please.[/B] . Cheers

Incase this is another duplicate thread my apologies in advance, woke up with this curious question? I do have a good life too!
Old 02-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Millsie02

Shipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is here
Well I can tell you we used to be called Glaziers or something before. As for why we are called Eagles, couldn't tell you but I am sure some smart alec on here will!
Old 02-07-2005, 11:35 AM

Dom303 is playing for a contract
We were the Glaziers, but we changed when Malcolm Allisson took over as 'Allisson's Eagles' had alliteration. The name just caught on. At least I think that's the reason.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Millsie02

Shipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is hereShipp Ahoy! Sam the man is here
Ah hence Alice the Eagle?
Old 02-07-2005, 11:47 AM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
We changed our colours and our name to match a couple of European superpowers at the time i believe.

I could be wrong but it may well be Benfica who are the EAGLES and Allison changed it to copy them.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:48 AM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Shipp Ahoy!
Ah hence Alice the Eagle?
Nope i think that is more to do with Pete and ALICE sounds a bit like PALACE!
Old 02-07-2005, 11:50 AM
Banned by Moderators

regretnerien sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkregretnerien sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkregretnerien sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkregretnerien sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkregretnerien sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkregretnerien sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkregretnerien sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkregretnerien sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkregretnerien sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkregretnerien sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkregretnerien sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
Rev Sands must wonder why he bothers
Old 02-07-2005, 11:55 AM

Aylesford Chris is playing for a contract
We used to play at the NEST.
The real theatre of dreams!
Old 02-07-2005, 11:59 AM
$4m through a traffic jam

Daveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the world
Somewhere there is a huge thread on this.

Dougie Freedman still a Palace legend.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:00 PM
Eagles Fitter Fan Group 1

andy burton has got sunshine in a bagandy burton has got sunshine in a bagandy burton has got sunshine in a bagandy burton has got sunshine in a bagandy burton has got sunshine in a bagandy burton has got sunshine in a bagandy burton has got sunshine in a bagandy burton has got sunshine in a bagandy burton has got sunshine in a bagandy burton has got sunshine in a bagandy burton has got sunshine in a bag
FFS! And the Nest has nothing to do with it!!!! (Plus it would be an Eyrie!)

Someone's going to ask again soon why Claret and Blue!

Twitter - @AndyPBurton
Old 02-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Banned by Moderators

regretnerien sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkregretnerien sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkregretnerien sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkregretnerien sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkregretnerien sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkregretnerien sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkregretnerien sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkregretnerien sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkregretnerien sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkregretnerien sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkregretnerien sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
Quote:
Originally posted by andy burton

Someone's going to ask again soon why Claret and Blue!
Hmmmmm. Something to do with too much red wine and throwing up the next morning wasn't it?
Old 02-07-2005, 04:41 PM

Eagle123 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenEagle123 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenEagle123 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenEagle123 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenEagle123 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenEagle123 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenEagle123 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenEagle123 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenEagle123 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenEagle123 has to read the song lyrics on the big screenEagle123 has to read the song lyrics on the big screen
Quote:
Originally posted by GreatGonzo
We changed our colours and our name to match a couple of European superpowers at the time i believe.

I could be wrong but it may well be Benfica who are the EAGLES and Allison changed it to copy them.
This is absolutely correct. Allison felt the clubs entire image needed freshening up so he changed our colours from claret and sky blue (worn in honer of Aston Villa whose board of directors founded the club and provided our first shirts) to the red and blue we know now. This was taken from Barcalona and it was a radical step at the time which was envied by other clubs that we (or Allison) had the courage to break with tradition.
The top team at the time in Europe was Benfica who are known as "The Eagles". Alison also pinched this. Our original name the Glaziers was because many of the players who played for the original "Crystal Palace" (which by the way has nothing to do with the club we support today) were in fact full time glaziers by trade that worked at the Crystal Palace.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Shining Star

maxerix has to read the song lyrics on the big screenmaxerix has to read the song lyrics on the big screenmaxerix has to read the song lyrics on the big screenmaxerix has to read the song lyrics on the big screenmaxerix has to read the song lyrics on the big screenmaxerix has to read the song lyrics on the big screenmaxerix has to read the song lyrics on the big screenmaxerix has to read the song lyrics on the big screenmaxerix has to read the song lyrics on the big screenmaxerix has to read the song lyrics on the big screenmaxerix has to read the song lyrics on the big screen
Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle123
This is absolutely correct. Allison felt the clubs entire image needed freshening up so he changed our colours from claret and sky blue (worn in honer of Aston Villa whose board of directors founded the club and provided our first shirts) to the red and blue we know now. This was taken from Barcalona and it was a radical step at the time which was envied by other clubs that we (or Allison) had the courage to break with tradition.
The top team at the time in Europe was Benfica who are known as "The Eagles". Alison also pinched this. Our original name the Glaziers was because many of the players who played for the original "Crystal Palace" (which by the way has nothing to do with the club we support today) were in fact full time glaziers by trade that worked at the Crystal Palace.
Well you learn something new everyday! - Thanks Eagle123
Old 02-07-2005, 08:32 PM
glad all over

follow cpfc would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningfollow cpfc would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningfollow cpfc would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningfollow cpfc would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningfollow cpfc would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningfollow cpfc would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningfollow cpfc would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningfollow cpfc would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningfollow cpfc would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningfollow cpfc would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningfollow cpfc would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning
they have been so many threads on this subject

AJ+CLINTON= GOALS

SING UP PALACE

EAGLES
Old 03-07-2005, 03:40 PM
Shining Star

Quote:
Originally posted by follow cpfc
they have been so many threads on this subject
My first post apologised if there was already a post on this subject so there was no need to be critical though if you want to go down that route your post should have read 'there has been so many threads on this subject' not 'they have' ok
Old 03-07-2005, 09:39 PM

will hung is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftswill hung is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftswill hung is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftswill hung is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftswill hung is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftswill hung is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftswill hung is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftswill hung is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftswill hung is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftswill hung is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdriftswill hung is ice and dust, is sky; can see horses wading through snowdrifts
I think we should go back to being called The Glaziers, it has a more up-market ring about it
Old 03-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Uzi Lover

Boyandy is just too good for youBoyandy is just too good for youBoyandy is just too good for youBoyandy is just too good for youBoyandy is just too good for youBoyandy is just too good for youBoyandy is just too good for youBoyandy is just too good for youBoyandy is just too good for youBoyandy is just too good for youBoyandy is just too good for you
Quote:
Originally posted by will hung
I think we should go back to being called The Glaziers, it has a more up-market ring about it
There were discussions along those lines recently but Jordan decided it was too much of a pane to change back.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:43 AM
SHUT IT SLAG

Location: We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner
Jack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Crystal Palace FC. A Brief History.

Crystal Palace were formed in 1973 by an alcoholic. Shortly after taking over as manager, he erased the clubs past by changing the teams colours to red and blue and the nickname to The Eagles.

Crystal Palace celebrate their centenary year in 2073.
The president of the Commission Mr. Delors said at press conference the other day that he wanted the European Parliament to be the democratic body of the community, he wanted the Commission to be the Executive and he wanted the Council of Ministers to be the Senate.

No. No. No.

Margaret Thatcher
Speech in Houses of Parliament
30th October 1990
Old 04-07-2005, 09:48 AM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Boyandy
There were discussions along those lines recently but Jordan decided it was too much of a pane to change back.
Could he not find a window in his diary to even discuss it?
Old 04-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Climbing for dollars

Reps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is hereReps AJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Selhurst Celtic
Could he not find a window in his diary to even discuss it?
Maybe he was worried the fans would see though him