Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Other Sport » World of Football

Notices

World of Football All non Palace football talk - includes latest scores on Internationals and matches that affect palace.

Old 18-02-2018, 08:43 AM

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
Lines? Don’t Sky already use some sydtem whereby it is seen straight away? They show it on replays?
Old 18-02-2018, 09:34 AM
former Palace Guard

viking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan27 View Post
If it is designed to eliminate "clear and obvious" errors then, due to the very nature of those two adjectives, it should not take very long to realise that an error has been made. How can something be obvious if it takes longer than 30 seconds to make the call? There should be a time limit on how long to look at a decision (1 minute max IMO) and if it is still not apparent then stick with original decision. That's if it should come in at all, which it should not.
Offsides are objective facts. Either it is or it isn't. Surely it is better to get these things right otherwise we may as well make up the laws as the ref decides on the day.
Old 18-02-2018, 09:36 AM
former Palace Guard

viking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is hereviking's no1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Eagle View Post
They didnt, because it wasn't deemed a clear error.
Just to correct you, they looked at it and decided it wasn't a clear error.
Old 18-02-2018, 09:54 AM

WLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking's no1 View Post
Offsides are objective facts. Either it is or it isn't. Surely it is better to get these things right otherwise we may as well make up the laws as the ref decides on the day.
If it takes calipers to work it out then the striker should get the benefit of the doubt. Just kills the game spending ages solving what the naked eye can't.
Old 18-02-2018, 10:46 AM

Yoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is hereYoda Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLYWLYAWYPWF View Post
If it takes calipers to work it out then the striker should get the benefit of the doubt. Just kills the game spending ages solving what the naked eye can't.
I agree, although I’d give the benefit of doubt to the defence.

The TV guys said it took them 8 minutes to decide it was offside, not just because it took a while to have a clear picture with a straight line, but also because they had to consider whether Mata’s knee is an ‘active’ part of the player whereas the hand/arm of the defender is deemed not relevant.

If we have VAR it should be for major decisions and corrections. Maybe there needs to be a time limit...eg overrule within 2 minutes or we stick with the refs original decision.

Personally I can accept that it’s sport and that not every decision will be 100% correct when it’s scrutinised later. In the past I’ve seen balls cross the line and not been given as goals, so I’m just content that big mistakes like that have stopped.
Old 18-02-2018, 10:49 AM
South Penge Massive

elgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLYWLYAWYPWF View Post
Surely technology exists now where they can put something in the ball and on the players/pitch that can make things like offside automated? This would free up the linos to become assistants with the more contentious decisions like contact in and around the box, where incidents can look completely different depending on the angle it is viewed at. Think this current trial has proved flawed and even harder for referees to get things right if anything.

Who funds the anti russia propaganda site bellingcat? http://newsvideo.su/video/9455566
Pretty obvious really.
Old 18-02-2018, 11:00 AM

Penstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is herePenstone Eagle Sam the man is here
It's bollocks.

Ditch it.
Old 18-02-2018, 11:04 AM
South Penge Massive

elgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by palacemetros View Post
Well, I'm glad that's cleared that up.

I really hope this idea is ditched. Not only does it completely ruin the spontaneity of the sport, it is now proven to be a complete farce.
Pretty much.

Who funds the anti russia propaganda site bellingcat? http://newsvideo.su/video/9455566
Pretty obvious really.
Old 18-02-2018, 11:21 AM

M3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Just to correct you, they looked at it and decided it wasn't a clear error.
They gave it a cursory glance, decided it wasn't a clear error immediately (which is fair enough) so didn't review it. That's my understanding anyway but who knows, the operation is far from transparent. My point is that in football terms saying that wasn't handball is more controversial than saying Mata was onside yet VAR was used for one and not the other. I understand the reasons but they don't make sense which is partly why I think VAR needs to be scrapped.
Old 18-02-2018, 12:12 PM
Block U

Happy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is hereHappy Arthur Sam the man is here
Pleased there's issues hopefully they will bin it.
Old 18-02-2018, 12:12 PM
Up the Palace!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Not that it bothers me too much as it happened to FC Köln but they had an injury time winner ruled out for offside yesterday. The weird part about it was... 1. The offside player was right in front of the linesman who didn't give it and 2. No Hannover players or coaches appealed for it. So why was it reviewed?
Old 18-02-2018, 12:49 PM
The hero of Shadow Moses?

Levski Sam the man is hereLevski Sam the man is hereLevski Sam the man is hereLevski Sam the man is hereLevski Sam the man is hereLevski Sam the man is hereLevski Sam the man is hereLevski Sam the man is hereLevski Sam the man is hereLevski Sam the man is hereLevski Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrayzePat View Post
How did you come to this conclusion?
If the current trends for turning football into a TV-only sport continue, this is inevitable. If VAR is pushed to become a 'gold standard' system for 'elite sport' then I can see kick offs all at 3pm being a potential barrier to this, and a barrier that the TV companies and VAR providers will want to overcome.

VAR is a TV fad. It only 'works' where the game is on TV.
Old 18-02-2018, 12:51 PM
Up the Palace!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
Not that it bothers me too much as it happened to FC Köln but they had an injury time winner ruled out for offside yesterday. The weird part about it was... 1. The offside player was right in front of the linesman who didn't give it and 2. No Hannover players or coaches appealed for it. So why was it reviewed?
Surely we aren't having someone upstairs saying to the Ref you need to look at that again?! That would totally ruin football for me having such an outside influence, especially if the opposition haven't even noticed an indiscretion.
Old 18-02-2018, 03:10 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Last night was a nonsense and should never have happened. The one good thing about VAR is that it can be 99% clear on offsides and should be able to be decided very quickly. The minute they have to look and re look at it then the decision should just go with the one originally made by the ref.

I’ve always thought that until technology catches up and we can have some sort of instant GPS type system, then we should just have the fourth official in front of a screen as a second pair of ‘super eyes’ if you like for the ref. It would not be fool proof but will eliminate about 90% of mistakes made by the ref. The key being that the fourth official can quickly watch a replay and pass it on to the ref.

If it isn’t clear on first watch then it’s inconclusive and you just get on with it. Like I said, it’s not perfect and there will still be mistakes made but at least it will keep the game flowing whilst eradicating the majority of things ref’s miss.
Old 18-02-2018, 03:23 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Quote:
Arms aren't considered in offsides.
Thanks that explains it.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 18-02-2018, 03:23 PM

M3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is here
Good idea Bubbs. It has the benefit of being able to be easily implemented at most if not all professional games too.
Old 19-02-2018, 09:06 PM
Perchance to sleep

Hibernator Sam the man is hereHibernator Sam the man is hereHibernator Sam the man is hereHibernator Sam the man is hereHibernator Sam the man is hereHibernator Sam the man is hereHibernator Sam the man is hereHibernator Sam the man is hereHibernator Sam the man is hereHibernator Sam the man is hereHibernator Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
Can't they use the technology used in the NFL for the first down lines?

Always bloody amazes me does that.
What, you mean two school crossing lollipops and a piece of string?
Old 19-02-2018, 09:34 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Hopefully this won't last
Old 20-02-2018, 04:19 PM
former Palace Guard

Quote:
They gave it a cursory glance, decided it wasn't a clear error immediately (which is fair enough) so didn't review it. That's my understanding anyway but who knows, the operation is far from transparent. My point is that in football terms saying that wasn't handball is more controversial than saying Mata was onside yet VAR was used for one and not the other. I understand the reasons but they don't make sense which is partly why I think VAR needs to be scrapped.
I think we're talking at cross purposes. The VAR is the Video Assistant Referee. For you to say they gave it a cursory glance and decided it wasn't a clear error so didn't review it isn't correct as a sequence of events. If the VAR was looking at the handball, he would have reviewed it and told the ref it's his subjective call and therefore the game would just move on and the punter wouldn't be any the wiser. The review did happen, but it just wasn't done by the ref on the pitch in front of the masses because the VAR thought it unnecessary.

Although it would be useful to have the transparency, I'm not sure hearing the VAR say to the ref it's ok, whilst the game is going on, would enhance things. When the game stops for a VAR intervention however, I do think there should be more for the viewer and crowd to hear.

Quote:
My point is that in football terms saying that wasn't handball is more controversial than saying Mata was onside yet VAR was used for one and not the other. I understand the reasons but they don't make sense which is partly why I think VAR needs to be scrapped.
In relation to the above statement, VAR was used for the handball, but you will never hear about it. But for you to then use this as the reason for throwing out VAR is completely illogical because the offside was an offside offence and we all want the decisions to be right don't we?

VAR is far from perfect because the PR surrounding it is laughable but each decision where you have actually seen it being used, rather than just thinking it hasn't been used, have all ended with the correct outcome on the pitch. And that can only be a good thing. The next thing it will get rid of is disgraceful Niasse and Dele Alli diving.
Old 25-02-2018, 05:21 PM
Up the Palace!!!

Watching Bayer Leverkusen vs Schalke.

What is the ******* point of VAR?! Seriously what a ******* joke. The referee watched a clear bit of footage of a player winning a great tackle and still gives a ******* penalty.

Not for me. Even if they watch a replay and can't get it right we might as well all give up. Joke!!!