Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 09-11-2018, 10:10 AM
Into the fray...

Raggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by the drexciyan View Post
I hope not. The scientific method is a product of a western-based worldview which has a leaning to break things down and quantify with evidence. When you're immersed in that it's easy to think of it as the only one, or even more, the 'correct' worldview. Neither of which are necessarily true.
Excellent post.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:11 AM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy View Post

How would you explain the animals predicting earthquakes, tsanamis, etc cases I linked to earlier?
To view the link you have to Register or Login
I live in an earthquake prone country, we experience tremors on a weekly basis. We have tremors frequently enough that I have been able to test this “observation”, and I can tell you it’s laughable.
Animals are just as surprised (and scared) as us when there’s an earthquake. There is no change in their behavior whatsoever. The dogs in the neighborhood, the birds, all continue doing their thing. My cat goes and hides under the bed. Every time. It does not, for example, hide under the bed just before the tremor.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:12 AM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Where I think we still differ is that he does not dogmatically rule out explanations that lie beyond current scientific explanation.
So you believe my time travel theory then?

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/will-swain
Old 09-11-2018, 10:13 AM

SE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is here
Quote:
Hmm, not sure about that. I've been a scientist, worked with these people and you can absolutely guarantee that if a theory does not fit with the existing order it will be passed over, ignored and if it is persistent, then ridiculed. Mainstream science today is all about playing the game to get funding for the next project anyway. The 'out there' stuff that would really push boundaries of understanding human capabilities such as psychic capabilities are pushed to the fringe because it doesn't fit with the existing order. And then we are back at the start..
Well again, I have to fully agree. To apply scientific methodology scientists have to be motivated and/or funded in the first place. Scientists are human like the rest of us, they have their bias and their preferences, but do we then decry the applied scientific method as a consequence? I think not. Funding and political intervention admittedly complicate progress in various ways, but we must not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:15 AM

dogstar721 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdogstar721 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdogstar721 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdogstar721 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdogstar721 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdogstar721 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdogstar721 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdogstar721 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdogstar721 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdogstar721 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdogstar721 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by brighton_eagle View Post
My dog knows when my wife or kids are about to arrive home, some minutes before they actually do. Do you think that she is displaying some psychic behaviour, or that perhaps her sense of hearing and smell and very acute and that's why.
I've read a few studies like this, and when independently observed the reality tends to be they periodically check whether people are returning. Its worth noting that dogs sense of smell would be considered almost supernatural by human standards (even their hearing is pretty close to phenomenal by human standards).

A key issue here though that should be remembered is that something that is supernatural or paranormal. once explained is no longer paranormal - Things like ESP are replaced by non-verbal communication awareness and cold reading, out of body experience / clairvoyance with disturbance of the senses associated with self location and how memory reconstructs experience. You also have things like suggestion and hypnosis / NLP used by stage magicians which are real things.

A very important phenomena is how humans form memory of events - We remember things that are relevant, and not those that aren't. So we tend to under recall the number of leading questions a psychic might ask, because they're irrelivent to our memory formation, but remember the things that are significant (basically we all have very selective bias on what we remember).

So watch your shoulder might be remembered after an event that affects our shoulder (and its possible that we'll remember the initial statement differently - watch your back, becomes shoulder - because we want to believe and our mind works to construct reality in relation to our own experience, beliefs and existing knowledge and we construct our reality on a continual basis in line with this (evolutionary speaking this is a VERY effective survival technique - to assess situations based on experience and our current environmental stimuli rather than having a referential recall system - i.e one allows you to react quickly based on what you know, but is flawed, the other allows you to have a perfect response, but not quickly...

Not all mediums are frauds - its fair to say that in many cases they aren't aware that they've effectively learned cold reading and how to use leading questions and think its because they have mystical abilities.

A good starting point is the book Paranormality.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:16 AM
Into the fray...

Raggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRaggy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
In the car, 2 or 3 minutes. On foot, maybe a bit longer.
Personally, I think that is extremely strange and beyond conventional explanation. I think it falls into the realms of unexplained phenomena that Sheldrake focuses on.

But then again, I am not a vet or a zoologist.

Having experienced it yourself, do you have any rational explanation?
Old 09-11-2018, 10:17 AM

SE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogstar721 View Post
I've read a few studies like this, and when independently observed the reality tends to be they periodically check whether people are returning. Its worth noting that dogs sense of smell would be considered almost supernatural by human standards (even their hearing is pretty close to phenomenal by human standards).

A key issue here though that should be remembered is that something that is supernatural or paranormal. once explained is no longer paranormal - Things like ESP are replaced by non-verbal communication awareness and cold reading, out of body experience / clairvoyance with disturbance of the senses associated with self location and how memory reconstructs experience. You also have things like suggestion and hypnosis / NLP used by stage magicians which are real things.

A very important phenomena is how humans form memory of events - We remember things that are relevant, and not those that aren't. So we tend to under recall the number of leading questions a psychic might ask, because they're irrelivent to our memory formation, but remember the things that are significant (basically we all have very selective bias on what we remember).

So watch your shoulder might be remembered after an event that affects our shoulder (and its possible that we'll remember the initial statement differently - watch your back, becomes shoulder - because we want to believe and our mind works to construct reality in relation to our own experience, beliefs and existing knowledge and we construct our reality on a continual basis in line with this (evolutionary speaking this is a VERY effective survival technique - to assess situations based on experience and our current environmental stimuli rather than having a referential recall system - i.e one allows you to react quickly based on what you know, but is flawed, the other allows you to have a perfect response, but not quickly...

Not all mediums are frauds - its fair to say that in many cases they aren't aware that they've effectively learned cold reading and how to use leading questions and think its because they have mystical abilities.

A good starting point is the book Paranormality.
Another excellent post
Old 09-11-2018, 10:18 AM
Into the fray...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Palace View Post
I live in an earthquake prone country, we experience tremors on a weekly basis. We have tremors frequently enough that I have been able to test this “observation”, and I can tell you it’s laughable.
Animals are just as surprised (and scared) as us when there’s an earthquake. There is no change in their behavior whatsoever. The dogs in the neighborhood, the birds, all continue doing their thing. My cat goes and hides under the bed. Every time. It does not, for example, hide under the bed just before the tremor.
Just tremors as you say.
Would you pack up your bags and leave if you knew in advance there was going to be a tremor?
If not it doesn't prove anything.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:19 AM
Lovely

brighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is herebrighton_eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogstar721 View Post
Absolutely. And that was my point. It might sense like ESP but actually I believe there is a perfectly logical scientific explanation, which might include, as you suggest, observer bias.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:21 AM
Ex-Connecticut

CT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is hereCT_Palace Sam the man is here
Quote:
Just tremors as you say.
Would you pack up your bags and leave if you knew in advance there was going to be a tremor?
If not it doesn't prove anything.
Ohhh so not only can they predict when an earthquake is coming, they can predict the strength of the earthquake too. Anything else? Maybe point out thebuildings at most risk?

Really Raggy? What do you smoke?

Last edited by CT_Palace; 09-11-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:23 AM
Lovely

Quote:
Personally, I think that is extremely strange and beyond conventional explanation. I think it falls into the realms of unexplained phenomena that Sheldrake focuses on.

Yes, I think it's probably to do with sense of smell. A dog's sense of smell is upto 100,000 times more accurate than a humans. It's believed that they can detect cancer cells in humans by smell. If you transposed that sort of difference to sight, it would be like being able to see something thousands of miles away. Compared to the human sense of smell, you can see why it might be considered almost paranormal.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:24 AM
Into the fray...

Quote:
So you believe my time travel theory then?
No.

I think time travel could be possible. Although the time-travel debate is now scientific 'mainstream' it is useful and telling reminder of a subject that would have been openly scorned and mocked 50 years ago. But I think it's safe to say it would take a very highly advanced species to achieve it.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:24 AM
Lovely

Quote:

Yes, I think it's probably to do with sense of smell. A dog's sense of smell is upto 100,000 times more accurate than a humans. It's believed that they can detect cancer cells in humans by smell. If you transposed that sort of difference to sight, it would be like being able to see something thousands of miles away. Compared to the human sense of smell, you can see why it might be considered almost paranormal.

It might also be to do with their hearing. Dogs can more easily differentiate sounds, so they can recognise, for example, the sound of your car from a further distance away than a human could.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:25 AM

dogstar721 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdogstar721 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdogstar721 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdogstar721 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdogstar721 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdogstar721 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdogstar721 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdogstar721 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdogstar721 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdogstar721 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietdogstar721 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE25 exile View Post
Well again, I have to fully agree. To apply scientific methodology scientists have to be motivated and/or funded in the first place. Scientists are human like the rest of us, they have their bias and their preferences, but do we then decry the applied scientific method as a consequence? I think not. Funding and political intervention admittedly complicate progress in various ways, but we must not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
As someone who has a background in social science - arguments about methodology have dominated the development of social sciences, and the concept of self-selective bias and observer bias have created entire movements in psychology and sociology - as well as being the basis of the schism in Social Psychology (which is a big thing).

What is important here is peer review and replication - there are a lot of different views and arguments in science. Scientists spend as much time trying to disprove other theories as they do prove their own hypothesis - This is VERY true in psychology where you probably have several different schools of modern psychology (and I suspect even more true in sociological theory).

Most modern sciences have a good understanding of Observer bias and self selective bias, and methodological systems of analysis that deal with this - The rise of qualitative vs quantitative research methods in Psychology best example this and how to approach problems of bias in the scientist.

Interestingly adopting a qualitative approach to Parapsychology revolutionised the science of Neurology and our understanding of senses, and how the mind and environment interact.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:26 AM
Lovely

Quote:
No.

I think time travel could be possible. Although the time-travel debate is now scientific 'mainstream' it is useful and telling reminder of a subject that would have been openly scorned and mocked 50 years ago. But I think it's safe to say it would take a very highly advanced species to achieve it.
I don't think time travel is possible by the way. At least not in the sense we think of it. The point is, it's an equally proven theory that I've come up with that might explain the phenomenon you mentioned.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:33 AM
Into the fray...

Quote:
I don't think time travel is possible by the way. At least not in the sense we think of it. The point is, it's an equally proven theory that I've come up with that might explain the phenomenon you mentioned.
Well not really.

Time travel in animals is a flippant example you made up on the spur of the moment.

Rupert Sheldrake's theory of Morphic Resonance has been researched for years. There is much evidence for it, although this evidence is admittedly disputed.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:33 AM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
..to a western based worldview
If you are going to insinuate that this worldview is not reliable, then some hard evidence of why this is so would probably be a good idea.

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 09-11-2018, 10:34 AM
Semper Idem

Maz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Well not really.

Time travel in animals is a flippant example you made up on the spur of the moment.

Rupert Sheldrake's theory of Morphic Resonance has been researched for years. There is much evidence for it, although this evidence is admittedly disputed.
Lol. Yes ; disputed by everyone except Rupert Sheldrake...

.פɐppɐ פɐppɐ Hǝʎ

Old 09-11-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
No.

I think everything is a possibility - as does science generally speaking. Most evidence is really about establishing probability and likelihood. When I say I don't believe in ESP its not that I don't accept it as a possibility but that the evidence for other explanations has to be overcome first.

Its like evolution, it might not be true or the full story, but the evidence for evolution far exceeds that of other theories. Science is about the more probable than the possible. This is how hypothesis testing works, in order to prove a theory, you demonstrate that it is statistically far more significant than other explainations (at least 96% in terms of each experiment to show significance, or a correlation-coefficient of 7 or higher for correlational studies).

The problem is how we explain this. Smoking isn't proven to cause cancer so much as that it has massive evidence showing a correlation between smoking and specific types of cancer. This gets reported in the media as 'simplified for the public' as a causal phenomena.

This issues is a common problem between how science reports and journalism reports.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:46 AM
Ex-Connecticut

Quote:
Hmm, not sure about that. I've been a scientist, worked with these people and you can absolutely guarantee that if a theory does not fit with the existing order it will be passed over, ignored and if it is persistent, then ridiculed. Mainstream science today is all about playing the game to get funding for the next project anyway. The 'out there' stuff that would really push boundaries of understanding human capabilities such as psychic capabilities are pushed to the fringe because it doesn't fit with the existing order. And then we are back at the start..
They are pushed to the fringe and receive no funding because there is no evidence that psychic capabilities exist! It’s simply that.
Look, if psychic capabilities were really a thing it would be sensational! Just think of how many applications we could use the ability to predict or know the future for example. You can bet your bottom dollar that there would be MILLIONS of dollars of funding if there was any evidence of it existing. The payback would be phenomenal!

Last edited by CT_Palace; 09-11-2018 at 10:50 AM.