Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » General Palace Discussion

Notices

General Palace Discussion General Palace talk - please keep transfer talk in the transfer forum.

View Poll Results: As of 05/02/17 who should be first choice Goalkeeper
1 Julian Speroni 311 26.22%
13 wayne Hennessey 178 15.01%
30 Steve Mandanda 561 47.30%
Another 136 11.47%
Voters: 1186. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 10:45 AM

jobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is herejobiinthelastmi Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolinkins View Post
Some of them want him dropped to validate their opinion from 2009.
Much truth in this

I remember people wanting Price to play league games. Then when he did he cleared the ball against the back of someone and Leicester scored from it.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:46 AM

Danny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is hereDanny boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilesy14 View Post
Not at all David. I'm not going to be tugging on my testicles in protest should Speroni be dropped, although I'm far from sure whether Hennessey is the answer. Jules does let himself down with his distribution, that I cannot argue. However, these 4 incidents people are citing, I think a couple are a tad harsh.

- Vs Everton - he was unlucky. I hold Damo more responsible for his initial shocking positioning.
- Vs Arsenal - I think he did we to make the initial save from Welbeck. It was a good reaction save from point blank range & I don't think he could do much about where the ball ended up.

He showed on Saturday vs West Ham that he is still good enough on his day. I think if we had a top, top keeper on the bench, then yeah - start playing him. Hennessey - meh.
Laughable
Old 04-03-2015, 10:47 AM
Up the Palace!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Genuine question... Other than they like Speroni why do people seem to hate / dislike Hennessey? He has played what 5.5 games and yes maybe Southampton he could have done better, but he hasn't put a foot wrong in the other 4.5 games as far as I can tell.

Wayne also had a better pre season than Jules.

palacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is herepalacea Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono14 View Post
An error or two? Man United away, Everton home, Arsenal home, Liverpool in the cup, Southampton away, Burnley away and could of done better West Ham Saturday. That's just off the top of my head, not including poor distribution, dodgy and corners and now frequently pushing the ball back in to the danger zone. He was very good in the second half of last year but since then there's been a decline.
Watching the distribution is painful. Always seems to have a face of anguish that he can't throw out fast, but he never does!? just don't get it. The goal kicks, seem to take an age and always seem to go to the opposition.

We always knew Speroni was weak from the opposition crosses/corners, and the strongest ability was shot stopping, but as that becomes weaker, this could well be the last few times we see Speroni.
My Name Isn't Jono

Jono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
Can't be denied that Speroni's form has dropped recently and I imagine we will sign another keeper in the summer. However it is sad to see the lack of respect shown by a lot of fans to a club legend.
What lack of respect?
Old 04-03-2015, 10:48 AM
Woah Woah Woah

gilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny boy View Post
I'm a cock
Here he is.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:49 AM
My Name Isn't Jono

Jono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJono14 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Not at all David. I'm not going to be tugging on my testicles in protest should Speroni be dropped, although I'm far from sure whether Hennessey is the answer. Jules does let himself down with his distribution, that I cannot argue. However, these 4 incidents people are citing, I think a couple are a tad harsh.

- Vs Everton - he was unlucky. I hold Damo more responsible for his initial shocking positioning.
- Vs Arsenal - I think he did we to make the initial save from Welbeck. It was a good reaction save from point blank range & I don't think he could do much about where the ball ended up.

He showed on Saturday vs West Ham that he is still good enough on his day. I think if we had a top, top keeper on the bench, then yeah - start playing him. Hennessey - meh.
The arsenal one was woeful, it wasn't a strong shot, he got a weak hand on it and he could of pushed it out for a corner, just not back in to the danger zone.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:51 AM
Woah Woah Woah

gilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is heregilesy14 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono14 View Post
The arsenal one was woeful, it wasn't a strong shot, he got a weak hand on it and he could of pushed it out for a corner, just not back in to the danger zone.
You reckon? I can't agree with you on that - as I say, I thought he did well to get a hand on it initially. But there we go, it's all about opinions! I'm no goalkeeping expert in fairness.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:54 AM
face and voice for radio

JDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is hereJDawg Sam the man is here
Jules has palmed a few into the path of oncoming strikers this term. No doubt this has been picked up by the oppo. So can we put a defender in the way to help him out.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:56 AM
Woah Woah Woah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDawg View Post
Jules has palmed a few into the path of oncoming strikers this term. No doubt this has been picked up by the oppo. So can we put a defender in the way to help him out.
Offside trap might go out the window in fairness if we have someone waiting on the 6 yard box for this.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:57 AM
Up the Palace!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDawg View Post
Trouble is of course these goal scorers should be being picked up by defenders. But it doesn't help when your keeper is laying it on a plate centre of goal for the forward who is now probably anticipating this type of gift. Our defenders should be reading it better, but I guess they are also hoping Jules will hold the ball or push it wide away from danger.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:04 AM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSdaEAGLE View Post
It is concerning, Ben.

But as Alan Pardew indicates in his post-match comments, there are phases of play prior to Julian needing to make a save that clearly aren't being prevented from happening.

It's a team effort and Julian's error is no greater than Scott Dann's failure to make a tackle or Martin Kelly's failure to track Sadio Mane. It's just that the goalkeeper's mistake is easier to pinpoint.
I agree that Dann is culpable for letting Prowse-doodah waltz past him without a tackle but blaming Kelly for not tracking Mane would be a bit like saying it was Chamakh's fault and he wasn't even playing. Kelly had his man and was tracking him back.

Watch it on the highlights again.

I reckon to pick it apart because it's fun:

Gayle lost Mane who turned him nicely from the throw. Gayle was left stranded and didn't chase him but at that point would have expected the midfield to close him down.

Typically Ledley would be there but throughout the whole game McArthur kept popping up in that left hand spot. Ledley was I think marking Wanyama who had dropped deep pulling Ledley forward. (have to assume this approach was a conscious tactical ploy to limit Wanyama's influence?) In front of the ball was an unnatural place for Ledley to be TBH and I have to assume it was gameplan driven.

McArthur was there however and Mane laid it off around him before getting close. Prowse was unmarked and Puncheon (who I assume should have had him) realised way too late and couldn't get to him. Again no major panic because Dann had stepped forward and our uber warrior was sure to get the tackle in. Meanwhile Mane kept moving and was racing diagonally towards the pen spot. Delaney spotted him and started to track him.

Once Prowse had the ball he turned and dinked around Dann who really didn't seem to move - weird. He got the shot off which was a bit of a powder puff affair straight down Speroni's throat. So no panic. Delaney was on Mane and Jules had it covered. Ahhhhh. . . .

Mane sped away from Delaney who I think was distracted watching the ball, Jules simply didn't hold the ball and spooned it nicely for Mane to score the winner. Shane Long was playing out on the right by then and Kelly was marking him. Throughout this Kelly had tracked Long and although possibly gave him a yard too much space for a second he covered it up and only arrived in the post goal picture as his momentum took him into the middle after the shot.

That is my defence m'lud and I would ask the jury to dismiss the case.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:06 AM
43% Burnt

PauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is herePauLo Sam the man is here
I don't understand how Jules is getting the blame for the 2nd Arsenal goal. Welbeck struck it well and from the angle it came at Jules from, I don't see what else he could have done. The defenders not reacting to Girouds presence cost us the goal.

Free Palestine
Old 04-03-2015, 11:12 AM
Up the Palace!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PauLo View Post
I don't understand how Jules is getting the blame for the 2nd Arsenal goal. Welbeck struck it well and from the angle it came at Jules from, I don't see what else he could have done. The defenders not reacting to Girouds presence cost us the goal.
It wasn't that well struck, and I certainly feel he could have held it.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:12 AM

Owngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is hereOwngoal Sam the man is here
There will be nothing new on this thread until either Jules is dropped or he has another poor performance. It is becoming like a slow motion car accident and I don't want my last memories of him playing for us to be marred by that like they were with Hopkins second time around.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:13 AM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
Genuine question... Other than they like Speroni why do people seem to hate / dislike Hennessey? He has played what 5.5 games and yes maybe Southampton he could have done better, but he hasn't put a foot wrong in the other 4.5 games as far as I can tell.

Wayne also had a better pre season than Jules.
I respect a lot of your posts about goalkeeping, though I don’t always agree with them.

I don’t think Hennesey has done much right when given the chance to play for us though either. In the opportunities he has had he’s looked slow and failed to move for several shots. Though is due to lack of match sharpness? Maybe.
Some people want to bring him in because of his form for Wales (which is a myth) but ignoring that his most recent performance for us he didn’t cover himself in glory.
I also think Jules handling and catching has been very good last 3 or 4 games and hasn’t been glued too his line.

Jules’ form is worrying but Pardew has shown he’s not frightened to make changes so he must assume that for now Jules is the best option we have.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:13 AM
Woah Woah Woah

Last edited by gilesy14; 04-03-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:15 AM

Tomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is hereTomo Sam the man is here
Quote:
It wasn't that well struck, and I certainly feel he could have held it.
Agree. Wasn’t struck well at all, though that may have had a part in Jules pushing it back in the danger zone than wide because there wasn’t enough power behind it.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:19 AM
Up the Palace!!!

Quote:
He got a hand to it yes, but I feel he could have got both to it.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:22 AM
Woah Woah Woah

Quote:
He got a hand to it yes, but I feel he could have got both to it.
To be fair, I just watched it back & I hadn't realised Welbeck was at such an angle - I don't know if I'd tried to erase it from my memory. I seem to remember it being more central live at the time.

I still think there wasn't much more he could have done it with it personally - & I'd lay some blame at our defenders for not following up. But, it doesn't help Speroni's case when this isn't the only example of him doing this recently.