Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Off Topic » General Chit Chat

Notices

General Chit Chat Off topic conversations. Please do not post CPFC or sport related threads here

Old 12-05-2018, 04:47 PM
a bit peckish

PIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Been using the mighty Joe for smoking,roasting and the barby every weekend and it's the mut's.
The smoking part is deffo an art to be learnt,did a chicken with oak and killed it then did a leg of lamb with apple wood and was bloody lovely.The roasting part is fantastic and I need to explore a lot further with that aspect.

The thing that really gets me is the lack of waste with the charcoal,cook and shut down with a quick scrape and top up and away you go

I'm bloody hooked on the Joe
Old 12-05-2018, 06:50 PM

Jerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Mate - sounds like we could bore on for hours together! Once you have gone ceramic ovoid - you join a whole new league of outdoor cook. BBQ just doe not do it justice.
I haven't really tried the smoking but plenty of experimenting with indirect cooking and a bit of low & slow.
So many highlights; pizza, short-ribs, all pork, ribeye at 400 Celsius and just putting a chicken in to roast in the cooling oven after you have finished!
Remember to post your cooks on here!!!
Old 14-05-2018, 06:45 PM
a bit peckish

PIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPIE "N" MASH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Leg of lamb done over apple wood,not quite enough but it had a fantastic flavour,one to repeat with a bit of tweaking
To view the link you have to Register or Login To view the link you have to Register or Login
Did a parsnip and huge carrot in honey,not bad for me first effort but again,room for improvement.
Going for some big rib's at the weekend
Bloody pic's
Old 14-05-2018, 07:53 PM
Eagle in the Borders

Slimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is here
Here you go...

Old 14-05-2018, 08:03 PM
a bit peckish

Cheers "H"
Old 19-05-2018, 06:39 AM

Jerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJerry Murphy's Fringe came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIE "N" MASH View Post
Leg of lamb done over apple wood,not quite enough but it had a fantastic flavour,one to repeat with a bit of tweaking

Did a parsnip and huge carrot in honey,not bad for me first effort but again,room for improvement.
Going for some big rib's at the weekend
Bloody pic's

Have you climbed on board the accessories train? Naturally you have decent meat probe already - this is the most helpful tool I got;
To view the link you have to Register or Login

I got some relatively cheap welders gauntlets - but once they are wet they transmit heat very rapidly.
Old 19-05-2018, 08:01 AM
a bit peckish

Have just purchased a Thermo Pro thermometer,mainly because I did pork shoulder last week and it came out crap.Could have been the meat or just under cooked.
My partner got the gloves from her work,bloody expensive.That tool you have for lifting the heat plate I will get knocked up at work.
2 things I do want is the rotisserie and rib rack.Cooking is on hold for a couple of weeks due to my accident Tuesday,so will spend some time looking at marinades and sauces
Old 19-05-2018, 08:56 AM
Fishy McFishface

A Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is hereA Wooden Fish On Wheels Sam the man is here
Just got some South African 'Braai' Seasoning delivered from Walker Bay spices on ebay.

I must admit that I hadn't heard of it until I had some Braai wings in Meat Liquor (Boxpark) at the POTY do the other day. They were a real contrast to the buffalo wings we had alongside it and the two worked really well together for a bit of finger food.

I get quite a whiff of cumin coming from the pot, so I reckon it'll go nice as a dry rub for some chicken.
Old 19-05-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIE "N" MASH View Post
Have just purchased a Thermo Pro thermometer,mainly because I did pork shoulder last week and it came out crap.Could have been the meat or just under cooked.

My partner got the gloves from her work,bloody expensive.That tool you have for lifting the heat plate I will get knocked up at work.

2 things I do want is the rotisserie and rib rack.Cooking is on hold for a couple of weeks due to my accident Tuesday,so will spend some time looking at marinades and sauces

If you go to the OTT chaps website or perhaps YouTube I think he describes the spec. Or, I can send you some measurements, though you'll need to tolerate me being of a soft handed management type and not use tricky engineering words.

Thermopen are very popular. Bare in mind we now walk amongst the cook by temp and not by time fraternity now. However I do use fan oven times as a guide.
Old 31-05-2018, 08:15 AM

2018 updated Eggcessories

Not the UK website, yet - though
Old 09-06-2018, 07:23 AM
a bit peckish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Murphy's Fringe View Post
If you go to the OTT chaps website or perhaps YouTube I think he describes the spec. Or, I can send you some measurements, though you'll need to tolerate me being of a soft handed management type and not use tricky engineering words.

Thermopen are very popular. Bare in mind we now walk amongst the cook by temp and not by time fraternity now. However I do use fan oven times as a guide.
Sorry JMF,just seen this post.Thanks for the offer but I have the Joe which is a different set up.
This is edited from my original reply as i'm a tad slow on the uptake

Last edited by PIE "N" MASH; 13-06-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:42 PM
Bearded Member

Niceaction : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNiceaction : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNiceaction : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNiceaction : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNiceaction : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNiceaction : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNiceaction : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNiceaction : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNiceaction : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNiceaction : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNiceaction : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Where do you guys get your meat from? Do you find that a particular chain does decent cuts, do you use local butchers or even go to an online butcher?
Old 10-06-2018, 01:17 AM
Eagle in the Borders

Slimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is hereSlimbloke'H' Sam the man is here
Nathan Mills at To view the link you have to Register or Login (who no longer have an online presence) and To view the link you have to Register or Login (who do) are amongst the best you'll get recommended here.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceaction View Post
Where do you guys get your meat from? Do you find that a particular chain does decent cuts, do you use local butchers or even go to an online butcher?
My experience has been;
  • all meat tastes better done on the Egg, (turns out garlic bread does too!)
  • irrespective of the cost/quality - if I balls up the cook, its irrelevant where it came from,
  • I had a box of meats from a very good butcher in Scotland (gifted & can't recall the name) - that blend of good meat and BGE led to several excellent meals,
  • local butchers will help with cuts and cooking tips - slightly more money but you get exactly what you want,
  • online bundles look good value, I found storage is the issue - unless most of the meat is for an event close to delivery day.
  • M&S extra thick steaks should be pounced upon.

I have less experience of fish, hoping to try a few in the coming weeks using planks.
Old 13-06-2018, 02:47 PM
What, no boat?

TAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is hereTAK Sam the man is here
So who has Kamado Joe? Looks like Howard for one from those last pictures.

I'm thinking of upgrading in the near future, could do with some opinions, especially are they worth the investment.
Old 13-06-2018, 03:13 PM

upperteir : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineupperteir : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineupperteir : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineupperteir : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineupperteir : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineupperteir : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineupperteir : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineupperteir : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineupperteir : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineupperteir : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineupperteir : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Brother in law has a kamodo and its a thing of beauty
Old 13-06-2018, 03:32 PM
Pant wetting Mavis

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
I have standard gas BBQ from John Lewis. But reading this thread I am thinking an egg might be a good bet in the future!

That said I am having fun with it this summer - I think must have cooked on it 50 or so times already. Literally most nights we are having a meat or 2 meats + a mountain of salad. Both of us are losing weight and our dinners are great.
Old 13-06-2018, 03:33 PM
a bit peckish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK View Post

I'm thinking of upgrading in the near future, could do with some opinions, especially are they worth the investment.
I have the mighty joe,not cheap but seems to come with more than the egg.
I am absolutely smitten with the thing,from smoking,roasting and bbq it's great.
Worth the investment? In my honest opinion,if you use it as much as I have then it's a big fat yes

Just a bit of advice,go for the newer version(same as mine)opinion is it's 100%
improvement on the first type.
Old 13-06-2018, 04:53 PM
Eagle in the Borders

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK View Post

The photos are PIE "N" MASH's, mate - I just helped out posting them for him.

As much as I'd love a quality smoker, I can't really justify it living here on my todd.
Old 15-06-2018, 05:52 PM
The Lizard King

Beckenham Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeckenham Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeckenham Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeckenham Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeckenham Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeckenham Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeckenham Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeckenham Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeckenham Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeckenham Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBeckenham Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Got a 2 rib Cote de Boeuf in an Alabama style dry rub and a beef shin in a memphis style dry rub marinating overnight, getting ready for a smoke tomorrow on the weber. Could have bought half of Ginger Pig to be honest the meat looked so goodTo view the link you have to Register or Login
Blackadder: A man may fight for many things. His country, his friends, his principles, the glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn.