Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 26-03-2018, 12:55 PM
Probationary User

keeperchris is playing for a contract
Hi thanks for your comment. I married Susan Perry . My parents where June and Ted Large. In my schoolboy days up until joining Palace included Croydon Schools Surrey Schools, London Schools and South East England Schools.
Old 26-03-2018, 12:59 PM
Probationary User

Hi you are quite correct with your information. I am amazed that you are so informative.
I also travelled with the first team squad to Wrexham in a pre season friendly .We stayed at the Adelphi Hotel in Liverpool and my romm mate was Phil Hoadly.
Old 26-03-2018, 01:03 PM
Probationary User

Yes I was involved but spent the time on the touchline.I had to take my boots home with me that night as I was playing for the Juniors the next day and I travelled home on public transport.
Old 26-03-2018, 01:07 PM
Probationary User

Hi thanks for the memories. The 9-1 victory was an amazing game with Southamptons goal coming from a penalty.
Old 26-03-2018, 01:13 PM
Probationary User

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad John View Post
Chris, your father's name is very familiar. Could be from just reading Advertiser match reports of the time, but I'm sure I'd heard of him before.

What school did he go to? Did he play in goal for Croydon Schools and which Sunday league team, or teams did he play for? Just for curiosity it would be interesting to know how much a week the club were willing to pay him to sign the dotted line. My ball park guess would be about 15 quid.
Hi just an update I did play for Croydon Surrey london and South East England Schools.

I went to Croydon Tecnical School in Pampisford Road.

You are close with your guss, it was 10-00 pounds. With a signing on fee of 250-00 pounds paid at the signing and termination of the contract.
Old 26-03-2018, 01:22 PM
Probationary User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE View Post
Your dad did not make the first team , but did he have a football career after Palace?
Hi. After leaving Palace I played Southern league football but the injury I substained whilt playing with Crystal Palace made it hard to stay in the top flight of football. I moved to Spain where I became the goalkeeper coach to Huercal Overa Almeria, who play in the second division of the Spanish league. I played my last competitive game at the age of 62 savig two penalties in a shoot out.
Old 27-03-2018, 03:14 AM

big bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeperchris View Post
Hi just an update I did play for Croydon Surrey london and South East England Schools.

I went to Croydon Tecnical School in Pampisford Road.
I made my goalkeeping debut for Croydon Schools in 1970 at the Pampisford road ground. If memory serves me right I think we played Sutton Boys.
Were you at Palace at the same time as a black lad called Malcolm Beeson?. He never made the first team but did manage a game for Orient before drifting out of the league.
Old 29-03-2018, 10:12 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeperchris View Post
Hi. After leaving Palace I played Southern league football but the injury I substained whilt playing with Crystal Palace made it hard to stay in the top flight of football. I moved to Spain where I became the goalkeeper coach to Huercal Overa Almeria, who play in the second division of the Spanish league. I played my last competitive game at the age of 62 savig two penalties in a shoot out.
Chris . Move here. We have an over 45's team ,average age 61.5 years and need a keeper.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:54 PM
Probationary User

Ivantheclaret sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkIvantheclaret sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkIvantheclaret sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkIvantheclaret sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkIvantheclaret sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkIvantheclaret sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkIvantheclaret sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkIvantheclaret sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkIvantheclaret sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkIvantheclaret sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkIvantheclaret sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
Chris Large

Hi Chris's daughter,

I sent the below message to you via your personal email address in 2018 after reading your post; however, am unsure whether you received it, so here's hoping this time.

I remember your dad and his family very well. My family lived in Leslie Grove, just round the corner from Chris. His sister Veronica is a year older than me and I took the same educational journey; Oval, Tavistock and Heath Clark.

My mum was friendly with Mrs Large, and they would always stop for a chat if they bumped into one another whilst out shopping etc.

In the summer of 1972, I went with Oval on a trip to Dieppe: Mrs Large came on the trip to do cooking etc for the party along with Mrs Dawes whose son Ian — a fellow Oval pupil and already light years ahead in football brain terms than those of us two years his senior — ended up as a pro playing for QPR and Millwall.

I recall Mr Large drove a motorcycle combination and sported a large 'Jimmy Edwards-esque' handlebar moustache.

At that time I was the school goalkeeper at Oval, and your dad came along to Bingham Road recreation ground to coach the team on several occasions and spent time with me specifically, giving advice on various facets of goalkeeping.

I think it came about as Veronica was in Mr Wadsley's class, and Mr Wadsley ran the school team

The coaching was unofficial as Chris hadn't taken any badges etc; I remember on one occasion at Selhurst Park during the school holidays, where I'd go and get autographs; whilst he was signing my book I asked your dad when he was coming to coach us again.

'"Shhhh" he said looking round " I'd be in trouble if that got out. I'm not supposed to be doing it!"

Your dad was a lovely guy as were his parents, and it was a genuine thrill to be coached by a Palace player.

The fact that I remember him so clearly after a period approaching 50 years is testament that what he did was very much appreciated.

Please pass on my best wishes and thanks.
Old 12-02-2021, 05:32 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
What a great post Ivantheclaret. Put a smile on my face reading that