Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 11-05-2018, 11:09 AM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Current crop - Wilf

Player I would love to have seen live - Don Rogers

Guilty pleasure - Jamie Smith. The violence of some of his tackles was pure joy.
You would have enjoyed Mark Dennis then. Only 9 games here, but what a nine! The original "Psycho". Sent off 12 times in around 250 games
Old 11-05-2018, 11:21 AM

old geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzieEagle View Post
I always got really excited when I saw Alan Whittle play.... Enthralling mesmerising player.... The Zaha of the 70's.

Special mention to Martin Hinshelwood, who would definitely had made the greats except for being so injury prone.

Yogi, Aka John Hughes was the most amusing, was like having a tank on the pitch.
Yes it was that Port Vale b*****d who went to Brighton who finally did for him
Old 11-05-2018, 11:26 AM

old geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is here
I would detail my favourite top ten Palace greats of all time as follows, based on players I have seen
J Jackson
Cannon
Sansom
Kember
Hilliare
Zaha
Wright
Jansen
P Taylor
Lombardo
Old 11-05-2018, 12:04 PM
Balding Eagle

Palace Dan Sam the man is herePalace Dan Sam the man is herePalace Dan Sam the man is herePalace Dan Sam the man is herePalace Dan Sam the man is herePalace Dan Sam the man is herePalace Dan Sam the man is herePalace Dan Sam the man is herePalace Dan Sam the man is herePalace Dan Sam the man is herePalace Dan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Guilty pleasure - Jamie Smith. The violence of some of his tackles was pure joy.
... and one of the nicest players we ever met at the club open days.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:19 PM
Legal Imbecile and BBS Prophet of Doom (Semi-Retired)

James Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by old geezer View Post
I would detail my favourite top ten Palace greats of all time as follows, based on players I have seen
J Jackson
Cannon
Sansom
Kember
Hilliare
Zaha
Wright
Jansen
P Taylor
Lombardo
This matches my selection, more or less, but I would have to insert Don Rogers in the top five and probably also have to find room somewhere for John 'Yogi' Hughes.

If Wilf stays with Palace for a few more years, he could easily work his way to number one.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:06 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Phoenix View Post
Dean Gordon. Crunching tackles and cannonball shots. Unlucky not to play for England.

Wiki says he now lives in Sunderland (wtf)
He went to Middlesbrough after us, so I guess he stayed in the north east (and even Sunderland is better than Middlesbrough )

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 11-05-2018, 03:22 PM

Sick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palace Dan View Post
May I be pedantic?....
three dots...

Vince for me. It was when I first started going to Palace, I played left wing and watched him like a hawk. I was always deeply envious of that afro too, just one of the coolest hard styles ever, he looked great in the sash shirt.

Last edited by Sick Bucket; 11-05-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:33 PM
Putting on an iron shirt

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
The Martin Hinshelwood call is a good one. He would have been some player.

Like Sick Bucket I played on the wing for years and Rogers, Taylor and Hilaire were the shit for me.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:00 PM

Laboureagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLaboureagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLaboureagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLaboureagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLaboureagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLaboureagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLaboureagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLaboureagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLaboureagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLaboureagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLaboureagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
1st Grant Watts

( Great goals against Liverpool and Chelsea-He is also my cousin! )

2nd Peter Taylor (today he would be unplayable, back then he was often kicked off the park-the reason we lost the 1976 semi final was brutal assault on him by Soton, taking out our best player)

3rd Wilf- plays for the team, but has the talent to destroy the opposition on his own. Thank god he didn't have to play in the 70's.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:04 PM

ChickenDipper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChickenDipper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChickenDipper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChickenDipper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChickenDipper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChickenDipper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChickenDipper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChickenDipper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChickenDipper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChickenDipper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineChickenDipper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Wilf has taken number one, from Andy Johnson and then Danny Butterfield
Old 11-05-2018, 04:07 PM

AddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAddiscombeEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Dean Gordon for me.

Love a player who can hit a ball like that and that goal against Derby!!!!!!
Old 11-05-2018, 04:39 PM

Isle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is hereIsle of Wight Sam the man is here
Wilf Pure attacking football Joy
Aki determined and funny
Mark Bright Such a nice friendly bloke always happy to have a chat and not a bad footballer either
Glen Murray. Looked after my lad when he was a mascot and was idolized from then on. Also not a bad footballer.
Lombaro Maestro
Geoff Thomas Leader 1
Jedi Leader 2

Getting there are Luka (leader 3) and PVA (seems to have Palace in his blood)

Member of the Magnificent 16
29th May 2004
Member of the Magnificent 1007
22nd May 2006
Member of the Magnificent 33000
27th May 2013
Member of the Strange Aircraft Clique
16th December 2018
Old 11-05-2018, 04:54 PM
Lone Coyote

Steve in Phoenix came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSteve in Phoenix came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSteve in Phoenix came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSteve in Phoenix came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSteve in Phoenix came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSteve in Phoenix came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSteve in Phoenix came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSteve in Phoenix came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSteve in Phoenix came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSteve in Phoenix came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSteve in Phoenix came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
Derby at home, 1994. Oh my.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddiscombeEagle View Post
Dean Gordon for me.

Love a player who can hit a ball like that and that goal against Derby!!!!!!
Had to go find it again:
To view the link you have to Register or Login

Better one here:
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 11-05-2018, 05:49 PM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
There are so many across the generations some blessed with skill others with a fight determination to succeed. Some whose careers were cut short far to quickly either through injury or financial needs. My love of Don Rogers what he brought to the team has run deep for many years always first on my list in any all time eleven.
However there is nothing better than seeing one of your own come through and build a career playing for your club and over the recent seasons Wilf has developed into some one that every time he touches the ball there is that buzz the feeling of anticipation about what he will do. Couple that with somehow playing his best in the games that really matter take the Brighton semi the final against Watford they are obvious but some of the key games at the end of seasons Hull last year so many towards the end this for instance. Whilst nothing will fade the memories of Don ( I even copied the moustache). Wilf has won me over as the all time favourite I love watching him play long may it continue.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:28 PM
Balding Eagle

Palace Dan Sam the man is herePalace Dan Sam the man is herePalace Dan Sam the man is herePalace Dan Sam the man is herePalace Dan Sam the man is herePalace Dan Sam the man is herePalace Dan Sam the man is herePalace Dan Sam the man is herePalace Dan Sam the man is herePalace Dan Sam the man is herePalace Dan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Bucket View Post
three dots...

!
I am a novice amongst pedantry professionals!! 😂