Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 28-05-2018, 04:14 PM

Pikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Up and Running - Johnny and Marie

I posted this on HOL but with the lack of responses I'm worried I could be having false memories:

Does anyone else remember this blaring out at Selhurst in the 80's?:
To view the link you have to Register or Login

I think the P.A announcer used to say it was one of Steve Coppell's favourites.
Was this also a time when John Henty made a comeback?

There seemed to be 2 other songs constantly played at this time - Holly Johnson's 'Americanos' and Lloyd Cole's 'Lost Weekend'.

Funny the s*** you remember!
Old 28-05-2018, 07:18 PM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Can’t say that I do, but back in 1984, the year Coppell first became Palace boss, the PA often used to play that great Russ Abbott party hit ‘Oh, what an atmosphere’ - I’m sure if any of our newer fans that never got to sample Selhurst Park in the mid 1980’s could time travel back and do so - they would wonder what the hell happend!
Old 28-05-2018, 08:24 PM
Putting on an iron shirt

El Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is hereEl Aguila Sam the man is here
I don’t remember that. Though I also don’t remember getting to the ground more than a minute before kick off more than twice.
Old 28-05-2018, 08:26 PM
COYP!

in-exile has disabled reputation
Don't think so.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:18 PM
Lovely stuff

Thanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietThanet Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Always remember Americanos by Holly Johnson being played a lot in the late 80s.

Hot summer's day and sticky black tarmac, feeding ducks in the park and wishing you were far away -
Paul Weller
Old 01-06-2018, 05:20 PM

Am Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanet Eagle View Post
Oh, yes.

As for the OP. Senior moment.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:27 PM

knobneck : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineknobneck : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineknobneck : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineknobneck : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineknobneck : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineknobneck : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineknobneck : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineknobneck : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineknobneck : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineknobneck : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineknobneck : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
I also remember this, although vaguely because I was 8 or 9 years old at the time. I also have a vivid memory hearing Wet Wet Wet - Angel Eyes around the same time, but maybe that was a one off.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:14 PM

Kimnopac : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKimnopac : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKimnopac : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKimnopac : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKimnopac : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKimnopac : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKimnopac : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKimnopac : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKimnopac : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKimnopac : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineKimnopac : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Nope, never heard it before, let alone at Selhurst.
You been at the funny fags?
Old 01-06-2018, 09:58 PM

Pikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
FFS Lads I'm never wrong about these things. The announcer said it was one of Coppell's favourites.

Look, to save a lot of time and me moaning - can one of you post in a sort of authentic way, something like "Ooh I remember that one Pikester. It was about the same time we used to sing 'Vikings!' Andy Gray and Phil Barber were up front and you could stand wherever you liked"

Thinking of it, as there were only ever about 6,000 -7,000 of us in the crowd it's quite likely no one else remembers. Surprised at you Kermit - come on ... think man!
Old 02-06-2018, 08:47 AM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
No Pikester, don’t remember it, but after reading the comments for it on Youtube, it’s very apparent why Steve Coppell would have liked it, as most of the positive remarks for it came from scousers, so it’s more a Liverpool thing than something remembered in our neck of the woods.

I had a similar experience about a record I heard in the build up to the 1976 FA Cup Semi Final with Southampton. It was called ‘That’s the wonder of the Palace’ and was very similar to a TV ad of the time for Woolworths (for younger readers, Woolworth’s was a store that use to sell household goods, clothes, music and did a nice pick and mix sweets section) - ‘That’s the wonder of Woolies’ obviously ripping off Elvis P’s ‘Wonder of You’

Anyway, I asked John Henty, the Palace matchday annoncer and DJ for decades at Selhurst if still had a copy when I met him a couple of years ago before a home game - and he couldn’t bloody remember it!
Old 02-06-2018, 10:33 AM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Americanos for sure, the other song no
Old 02-06-2018, 10:51 AM
Got any nuts?

Wolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is here
Never heard it before. Thankfully.

Cricket wanker.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:01 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Seeing as the Mullery years caused PTSD for many, and one of its symptoms being memory loss, totally understandable it may involve the early days of the SCC reign.

So I do not so much question the OPs memory but by being PTSD free how much CPFC really means to him.

The test would be if he can remember a starting XI from the Mullery era. If he can then his love for Palace is questionable.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:39 AM

Walter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is hereWalter Wort Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
Seeing as the Mullery years caused PTSD for many, and one of its symptoms being memory loss, totally understandable it may involve the early days of the SCC reign.

So I do not so much question the OPs memory but by being PTSD free how much CPFC really means to him.

The test would be if he can remember a starting XI from the Mullery era. If he can then his love for Palace is questionable.
Can I start?

No. 9 Jim Cannon
Old 02-06-2018, 11:55 AM
South Penge Massive

elgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is hereelgin eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikester View Post
I posted this on HOL but with the lack of responses I'm worried I could be having false memories:

There seemed to be 2 other songs constantly played at this time - Holly Johnson's 'Americanos' and Lloyd Cole's 'Lost Weekend'.

Can't say I remember that at all.

I do remember this one though.

Who funds the anti russia propaganda site bellingcat? http://newsvideo.su/video/9455566
Pretty obvious really.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:02 PM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Wort View Post
Can I start?

No. 9 Jim Cannon
Ok so that is the goalkeeper taken care of, what about the other 10?
Old 02-06-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Satellite View Post
No Pikester, don’t remember it, but after reading the comments for it on Youtube, it’s very apparent why Steve Coppell would have liked it, as most of the positive remarks for it came from scousers, so it’s more a Liverpool thing than something remembered in our neck of the woods.

I had a similar experience about a record I heard in the build up to the 1976 FA Cup Semi Final with Southampton. It was called ‘That’s the wonder of the Palace’ and was very similar to a TV ad of the time for Woolworths (for younger readers, Woolworth’s was a store that use to sell household goods, clothes, music and did a nice pick and mix sweets section) - ‘That’s the wonder of Woolies’ obviously ripping off Elvis P’s ‘Wonder of You’

Anyway, I asked John Henty, the Palace matchday annoncer and DJ for decades at Selhurst if still had a copy when I met him a couple of years ago before a home game - and he couldn’t bloody remember it!
Oooof what a choker!
I couldn't find your one on this delightful selection either: To view the link you have to Register or Login
although it has got the great/terrible 'Power to The Palace' on it!

As for the PTSD theories - I have got a programme in the loft with Mullery on the front cover with his 5 summer signings - think it was George Wood, Tony Evans, .... and erm... struggling .. maybe some old shite like Stan Cummins, Andy McCulloch and Les Strong... Ahh the good old days.
Old 29-06-2018, 09:53 PM
father of John

Ron Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Very much enjoying this thread. You will almost probably never hear Americanos ever again, but every Palace fan from then will remember it if they do. Love it or hate it, it was part of every Palace home game for years. I wonder if any Palace fans have had it at their wedding?! Surely the number 1 Palace Memory Lane song?

As for that other one, sorry Pikester, never heard it before.
Old 29-06-2018, 10:06 PM

EmmerGreenEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEmmerGreenEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEmmerGreenEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEmmerGreenEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEmmerGreenEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEmmerGreenEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEmmerGreenEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEmmerGreenEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEmmerGreenEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEmmerGreenEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEmmerGreenEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikester View Post

Yes I remember this.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:27 AM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Only the very very late 80s (and then a lot in the 90s) given the song came out in 1989

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk