Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 17-02-2018, 12:58 PM
Pure Codology

SE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is hereSE5eagle Sam the man is here
The way the sound carries down from the back of the stand to the pitch is something to behold, would be a shame to lose that acoustic character.

Only been back once to block v since we've been up and I couldn't see half the bloody pitch because of the gantry!

Amazing to read that earlier post from AW's daughter, I knew very little about the man and his love for palace; it warmed the cockles.

Sir Clinton Morrison
Old 17-02-2018, 01:17 PM

Groinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Yeah, absolutely. It looks like that was Maureen’s only ever post though....and a good few years back! Would be great to get a further insight for her....
Old 17-02-2018, 05:31 PM
techno sapiens

the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureen3676 View Post
Arthur Wait was my father. I should like to correct the comment that his company made a profit out of the construction of the Arthur Wait Stand. This is not so. In those days the clubs were all privately financed and so I believe that largely his own money was used to finance the stand. He retired from his building company at the age of 60 and decided to build the stand himself - as site agent - in the closed season. He imported much of his labour from ex-staff around the south coast where most of his building operations had been in place. Not allowing anyone to leave the job for more time than was necessary, for instance travelling to and from work, he purchased beds and all associated items to allow all the working staff to eat and sleep at Selhurst Park. During that period he lost 3stone in weight, but adored every minute. The stand was completed and ready for the start of the following season. As a family we were all immensely proud of this great achievement. And as a footnote I should like to add that AJ never took any financial rewards in any way from Crystal Palace indeed it is mooted but never proved that his personal investment in the club during the 50s, 60s and early 70s was in excess of £3m. So please - let's get the record straight. MM
Wow. What a post. That is the true story of the AW from the inside right there.

I always had the AW as my favourite stand because for me that is the essence of us in that stand. Knowing that it was built with love from a true Palace man makes it even more so. I hope the club can find the space in the new museum or somewhere else to give proper respect to AW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMGb0p9hrQ
Old 17-02-2018, 06:02 PM

Harry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is here
In my time Arthur Wait was our best Chairman, try looking out for some of the empty ground pictures of Selhurst at the end of the war and you will realise where he took us from.

Until Arthur set us pointing in the right direction we always seemed to be seeking re-election to the football league.

As supporters it is natural to idolise players but AJW was superb for Palace.
Old 17-02-2018, 06:16 PM

BERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperado View Post
My dad worked on the new stand and told me the lads on site used to work on late during the summer evenings because they wanted to get the stand finished in time for the season in Division 1 for Mr Wait.
I went to see my dad on site after leaving art college one day to see how the stand was progressing and Arthur Wait was there having a cup of tea with the lads.

I was lucky enough to have a chat with him and after a few minutes with him could understand why everyone wanted to get the stand finished on time for him.

A genuinely nice man and a true Palace fan; all Palace fans, past, present and future owe a great debt to your dad. I first started watching Palace with my mum and dad when we were in Division Three South and we were truly awful. Arthur Wait took us up through all the divisions to the very top and we were still there when he virtually gave the club to Ray Bloye.

I will never forget him.
Worth a bump methinks.
Old 18-03-2018, 06:19 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groinstrain View Post
Yeah, absolutely. It looks like that was Maureen’s only ever post though....and a good few years back! Would be great to get a further insight for her....
Maureen is posting right now on Hy Money's facebook page. I have posted a link so she can read the kind tributes and comments about her father AJ Wait
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 18-03-2018, 08:26 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Maureen May: Thank you so much for this. After I posted my statement I felt I had settled the score. I hadn’t seen any of the responses until I followed your link just now. SO PLEASED!

Show more reactions
· Reply · 1h
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 18-03-2018, 08:36 PM
Account disabled

racehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BERT'S HEAD View Post
Worth a bump methinks.
Certainly is a lovely story and Arthur Wait was our best ever Chairman as far as I am concerned .
Not sure if he would like the way football has been taken completely over by Money Men rather than the old school rich fans who put more in than they take out .
Old 30-07-2018, 09:40 PM

will hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Arthur Wait is arguably the most important man in the club's history
Old 30-07-2018, 10:34 PM
In a nutshell

Percy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by will hung View Post
Agree 100% it was his vision and hard work that dragged us from the basement to the top table. It upsets me when people complain about the Arthur, sure it's not ideal for football in 2018, but show some respect for the history of the stand (it was the largest measures by cubic Feet in the football league when opened in 1969) and the man it is named after.

"Why go to learn the words of fools?" Steve Marriott/Ronnie Lane
Old 31-07-2018, 08:46 AM

Am Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Parish sycophants/lovers should all be forced to read the last ten or so posts.
Old 31-07-2018, 11:15 AM

jhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by will hung View Post
If ever they decide to put up a statue of a Palace icon...........
Old 31-07-2018, 11:22 AM
COYP!

in-exile has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhc View Post
If ever they decide to put up a statue of a Palace icon...........
Agree our best chairman and the AW stand is in my heart as my only place to watch a game.
Old 31-07-2018, 11:13 PM

GorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is hereGorBlimey Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Phibian View Post
Parish sycophants/lovers should all be forced to read the last ten or so posts.

Parish haters should recognise that nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:22 PM

Carlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian king View Post
Started sometime between August and December 1968.

Attached are two pics, Palace v Charlton 31st August 1968 and v Blackpool, the abandoned game of 28th December. The former showing little work if any having started on the Park Road side and the latter showing the beginnings of the framework of the stand with the crane in the background and spectators standing underneath!!
What are the Palace players wearing on their feet V Blackpool?

They look like what used to be called bumper boots
Old 01-04-2019, 10:24 PM

Carlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineCarlise Few : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian king View Post
On Wednesday 26th November 1969 the Arthur Wait Stand was officially opened by Sir Alf Ramsey before the start of a Testimonial game for Arthur Rowe.

Perhaps the Arthur Wait Massiv might wish to hold a 'birthday celebration' at the home game against Watford on Saturday 28th November
50th coming up
Old 02-04-2019, 12:26 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlise Few View Post
What are the Palace players wearing on their feet V Blackpool?

They look like what used to be called bumper boots
They were... pitch was frozen, so studs were useless.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:02 PM
In a nutshell

Percy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is here
Assuming we stay up, it would be great to start the season at home to Manchester Utd it will be almost exactly 50 years to the day we played them in our first ever division 1 game and the first fixture the Arfu was used. I was in the enclosure that day.

A good way to celebrate (other than winning) would be to invite as many players from both teams on that day who are still with us and can attend.

It was a very special day in so many ways, one of which was being able to watch Utd with so many of the 68 European cup winning side out on the pitch. Will never forget Utd came out of the tunnel and it seemed an age before Palace emerged from the tunnel. A wag some where behind me shouted the we were "Too scared to come out" which gave everybody a (nervous) chuckle. I think dear old Bert was just making Utd wait and it was a hot sunny day.

Indeed the whole season was magical despite some terrible results, we were able to watch all the 66' World Cup winners on our ground, every team was full of household names and despite our lack of experience and lacking top quality we fought like tigers for every point and to stay up, something most gave us very little chance of doing.

"Why go to learn the words of fools?" Steve Marriott/Ronnie Lane
Old 05-04-2019, 02:50 AM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Probably worth pointing out that today, April 5th is Arthur John Wait’s Birthday. He would have been 109 today and according to records of the 1911 Census grew up at 50 Pawsons road, only a stone’s throw from Holmesdale Road, although of course that was a full 14 years before Palace moved there - apparently AJ Wait, like many other local boys, used to enjoy playing on the slope of Park Road that later became the Stand he helped to build, using bits of corrugated iron to ski down on!

His wife to be, Kathleen Turner, grew up only a few roads away in Grange Park Road.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:46 PM
Probationary User

dannychoochoo is playing for a contract
very enlightening thread this, great read.