Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 24-02-2016, 11:24 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskin Old Boy View Post
There's a photo of the Nest (mistakenly calling it Selhurst Park) on page 74 of Sunday's programme as part of a report on Spurs losing 0-2. A brace from Billy Morgan settled the match as Spurs were "unable to master the fierce spoiling tactics of the Palace".
Yes, saw that, it was unmistakenly The Nest with it's gabled grandstand. Was a very decent programme, absolutely tons of history relating to Spurs-Palace cup ties, superb effort.
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 04-03-2016, 09:22 PM

bestperch has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!bestperch has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!bestperch has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!bestperch has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!bestperch has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!bestperch has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!bestperch has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!bestperch has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!bestperch has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!bestperch has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!bestperch has got a bit of green grass ahead of him here... and finds Ambrose!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
Yes, saw that, it was unmistakenly The Nest with it's gabled grandstand. Was a very decent programme, absolutely tons of history relating to Spurs-Palace cup ties, superb effort.
Thought there was something odd about that picture when I looked through the programme when I got home but couldn't quite work it out due to alcohol. Find articles like those in the Spurs programme and the stuff that Palace did in the centenary season on old players so much more interesting than reading the usual boring propaganda.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:11 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
I do like the 'reprinted old programme' section of the Palace programme this season. Particularly when they unearthed a game where George Boyd was Palace mascot!
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 08-03-2016, 12:32 AM

ian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
I do like the 'reprinted old programme' section of the Palace programme this season. Particularly when they unearthed a game where George Boyd was Palace mascot!
Yes I had to double check that taking into account his age then. Good to hear you're enjoying this part of the Palace programme.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:21 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Croydon Common players at The Nest

Old 01-02-2017, 02:30 PM

rudeboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrudeboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrudeboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrudeboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrudeboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrudeboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrudeboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrudeboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrudeboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrudeboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietrudeboy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
^^ Including future England international Jack Harrow
Old 03-02-2017, 01:41 PM
Groundhopper

WestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Me to. A good part of the programme.

Not enough historical stuff in the programme these days, I really think the programme has gone backward in the last few seasons. Too much stuff for younger purchasers, too many dull player interviews etc.

I like to look at the results against the opposition from previous seasons, but nothing like that in the programme, or a special featured match against that opposition.

Found this website that lists our record against PL opposition since it began in 1992.

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Be good, if that could be incorporated into the programme next season, IE, our PL record against the days team, home/away by season.
Or Championship, should we be in that league!
Hop till you drop!

Last edited by WestBerksPalace; 03-02-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:28 PM

plumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
A report about the beginning of our time at The Nest.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:16 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Lovely stuff

Old 06-11-2018, 08:16 AM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Just out of interest, the two matches mentioned in Plumey's cutting describing the Nest, Palace away to Croydon Common on January 29th 1916 (a fundraiser for the 'War Comforts Fund') and the inagural Palace 'home' game at the newly refurbished ground on August 31st 1918 - both resulted in Palace wins, 2-0 v Croydon and 4-1 v Millwall.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:15 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Imagine the value now of that 1916 Croydon Common v Palace programme that was amongst a 'heap of rubbish'!!! Would be worth something like £600 - £900 now if it had survived!

Old 13-01-2019, 07:55 PM

Mike F sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkMike F sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkMike F sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkMike F sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkMike F sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkMike F sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkMike F sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkMike F sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkMike F sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkMike F sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkMike F sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
I'd been following this thread a number of years ago and re-found it today. Am glad that I did as I have identified an old postcard of a crowd as being The Nest! A broadly similar photo appears 2/3 down page 4 on this thread.

Last edited by Mike F; 13-01-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 13-01-2019, 08:38 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Thanks Mike, great image (even with the mysterious reverse Millwall!!)
The similar crowd shot on page 4 is a photo i found and photographed at Croydon local studies library

Old 13-01-2019, 08:46 PM

Mike F sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkMike F sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkMike F sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkMike F sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkMike F sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkMike F sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkMike F sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkMike F sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkMike F sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkMike F sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkMike F sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
The card was printed in reverse! I wonder if the Millwall 4 refers to a four nil win for them in 1927? Doesn’t help datevthe card though. I’m delighted as I am editing a book of postcards with grounds on them. (The title is Posted, following Covered which has Grounds photos on programme covers as the focus). This gives me an extra card to include making six in all for CPFC and CCFC of the Nest. I’ll post another which to me looks like a team in Palace kit playing on the velodrome ground by the old cup final ground.
Old 13-01-2019, 08:54 PM
Collecting Palace tat

OMG behave! That would be great if you could, love that CPFC sometimes played at that velodrome!

1927 and Palace were at Selhurst Park, so not sure what that was about!

Old 13-01-2019, 09:07 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Superb photo, many thanks.

So much detail, hats, ties, scarves, pipes and a few splendid taches. Brilliant
Old 13-01-2019, 09:21 PM
Collecting Palace tat

The chaps at the front of the standing enclosure in bowler hats look as though they'd be more suitably positioned it they were sitting in the posh seats!

Is the guy front row, far right a chimney sweep or coal miner?

Last edited by Dorking .Eagle; 13-01-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Old 13-01-2019, 09:42 PM

ian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Is the guy front row, far right a chimney sweep or coal miner?
Hello DE. My parents ran a family business (started by my great grandfather) until circa 1964 with one of the shops near the ground in Whitehorse Lane. Part of it was delivering coal in the area and I can remember our coalmen getting covered in coal dust just from shovelling it from wagons into (probably 1 cwt) bags.
Old 13-01-2019, 09:49 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Most of the bowlers look like the original made for Edward Coke in 1849.

Plenty of bakerboy, newsboy hats on show and a fewer number of trilbys.

Unlikely to be a coal miner, could be a chimney sweep [I see Ian K has the answer]. The chap second from left in the front row is wearing something different, could be a linen boater and that's a smart scarf around his neck.
Old 13-01-2019, 10:48 PM
Inventor of Jack Shit

Ian Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is hereIan Hart Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskin Old Boy View Post
Most of the bowlers look like the original made for Edward Coke in 1849.

Plenty of bakerboy, newsboy hats on show and a fewer number of trilbys.

Unlikely to be a coal miner, could be a chimney sweep [I see Ian K has the answer]. The chap second from left in the front row is wearing something different, could be a linen boater and that's a smart scarf around his neck.
Are you a titfer expert, John?