Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 10-08-2001, 06:00 PM

Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I wish i was there...

Everyone will remember these scorelines, for one reason or another;

Liverpool 9-0 Palace
Palace 9-0 Barrow

One was our highest defeat, the other our highest win. But while searching through my old tapes i came across a tape entitled "Danny Bakers Right Hammerings." I know, Milwall......booooooo. But in amongst the constant anti-Palace jibes, the tape showed me something i had never seen before, but which made me very happy.

PALACE 5-0 MAN UTD

Rogers 2
Mulligan 2
Whittle

With it being years before i was even born did any fellow BBSers see the game? How i wish we could see that scoreline nowadays!
Old 14-08-2001, 07:22 PM
Main Stand Maniac

Glen Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGlen Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGlen Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGlen Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGlen Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGlen Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGlen Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGlen Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGlen Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGlen Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGlen Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the world
I was there> The match was also shown on the Sunday afternoon on the Big Match. My dad was shown in close up after the 5th one went in and I had never seen him with such a happy face.
Old 14-08-2001, 11:07 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen Eagle
I was there> The match was also shown on the Sunday afternoon on the Big Match. My dad was shown in close up after the 5th one went in and I had never seen him with such a happy face.
Welcome to BBS I don't suppose you'd remember the smile on his face when you were born...

And Palace - you'd be surprised how many of us BBSers were there; I don't get tired of watching the video (the Big Match one is the best...about 25 mins of the match in all).
Old 14-08-2001, 11:15 PM

Gooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is here
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy
Quote:
I don't get tired of watching the video (the Big Match one is the best...about 25 mins of the match in all).
It is indeed - it's called "Crystal Palace - Classic Matches" and it's a wonderful pick-me-up when the club have depressed you (again).

When you watch that game, you realise that it could easily have been 9-0 that day too!
Old 15-08-2001, 07:05 AM
Ashfordian Eagle
Anonymous Coward

Quote:
Originally posted by Gooders
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy

It is indeed - it's called "Crystal Palace - Classic Matches" and it's a wonderful pick-me-up when the club have depressed you (again).

When you watch that game, you realise that it could easily have been 9-0 that day too!

Anyone know where I can get hold of a copy?
Old 16-08-2001, 03:02 AM

will hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
it was a great game although ManU were a poor side and were lucky to stay up that year, if my failing memory is right we didn't win too many games after that and were relegated
Old 16-08-2001, 03:52 AM

Gooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is hereGooders Sam the man is here
Originally posted by Ashfordian Eagle

Quote:
Anyone know where I can get hold of a copy?
Crystal Palace - The Classic Matches (Presented by Brian Moore)

They used to have it in the club shop but I haven't seen it in there recently - one of the big stores (e.g. Virgin) should be able to get it for you...it's got these games on it...

1972 Palace 5 Moan Utd 0
1973 Palace 3 Stoke 2
1974 Palace 3 Bristol City 2
1977 Millwall 0 Palace 3
1978 Palace 3 Brighton 1
1989 Palace 3 Blackburn 0 (Play-off final)
1990 Palace 4 Wombles 3
1990 Palace 1 Scousers 0

@ 1991 The Football League/Video Collection Int Ltd.
Old 16-08-2001, 04:14 AM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
I have an earlier one. It includes:

72/73 Palace/Man something
72/73 Palace/Stoke
72/73 Palace/Chelsea Buns
73/74 Palace/Bristol City
75/76 Shrewsbury/Palace
75/76 Leeds/Palace

Name is "Vintage Crystal Palace: six classic games. The Big Match, vol 1, 1972-1976" Published by Freeze Frame. Haven't seen it on sale for years
Old 16-08-2001, 04:21 AM
Legal Imbecile and BBS Prophet of Doom (Semi-Retired)

James Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is here
Yes - I was there. One of my fondest Palace memories. Not only a 5-0 win against ManU, but two of the finest Palace goals ever. See

To view the link you have to Register or Login

for an mpg clip of Don Roger's classic from that game.

I also have a video of the game.

I might be persuaded to do another CD-V, if it would result in a few more contributions to the BBS coffers!
Old 16-08-2001, 05:27 AM

PJ : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePJ : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePJ : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePJ : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePJ : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePJ : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePJ : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePJ : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePJ : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePJ : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePJ : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
James & Ruskin Old Boy

Any chance of you 2 getting together and putting ROB's video onto a CD. I'd love to see highlights of those 2 matches from 75/76.
Old 16-08-2001, 08:50 AM
Since 1905

charltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcharltonhater came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Gooders
Originally posted by Ashfordian Eagle
Crystal Palace - The Classic Matches (Presented by Brian Moore)

They used to have it in the club shop but I haven't seen it in there recently - one of the big stores (e.g. Virgin) should be able to get it for you...it's got these games on it...

1972 Palace 5 Moan Utd 0
1973 Palace 3 Stoke 2
1974 Palace 3 Bristol City 2
1977 Millwall 0 Palace 3
1978 Palace 3 Brighton 1
1989 Palace 3 Blackburn 0 (Play-off final)
1990 Palace 4 Wombles 3
1990 Palace 1 Scousers 0

@ 1991 The Football League/Video Collection Int Ltd.
I've got that video. It rules doesn't it?
Old 17-08-2001, 02:12 AM

Palace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by will hung
it was a great game although ManU were a poor side and were lucky to stay up that year, if my failing memory is right we didn't win too many games after that and were relegated
They did have a poor side out, but not beacuse they were going down, i believe it was because they were coasting for the title!

I may be wrong though..
Old 17-08-2001, 02:32 AM

wighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I was there! Wonderful afternoon, never to be forgotten. I know Moan United were on the slide a bit at the time, but take nothing away from Palace, it was an excellent performance.
Old 17-08-2001, 02:33 AM
Legal Imbecile and BBS Prophet of Doom (Semi-Retired)

James Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is here
Quote:
They did have a poor side out, but not beacuse they were going down, i believe it was because they were coasting for the title!

I may be wrong though..
You are wrong. They were a poor side - in fact they were relegated themselves a year or two later.
Old 17-08-2001, 02:41 AM
Main Stand Maniac

Glen Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGlen Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGlen Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGlen Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGlen Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGlen Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGlen Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGlen Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGlen Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGlen Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGlen Eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the world
It also marked the end Of Wilf McGuiness's reign as manager I seem to recall
Old 03-03-2005, 12:24 PM
Seeking a permanent post

patch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepatch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
big bump!

What are the odds on another 5-0 thrashing. I was at this match, but remember little of it,.except Rodgers scored a great goal walking around the Man Utd defence -anyone else at this match?
Old 03-03-2005, 12:31 PM
$4m through a traffic jam

Daveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldDaveyboyross was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the world
"And Don Rogers, in a way doing a Pele."

Dougie Freedman still a Palace legend.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:50 AM

T.O. eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldT.O. eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldT.O. eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldT.O. eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldT.O. eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldT.O. eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldT.O. eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldT.O. eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldT.O. eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldT.O. eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldT.O. eagle was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the world
I was there too......hoping for a repeat tomorrow!

I'm sure Man U were relegated that season, and after the drubbing from Palace their manager Frank O'Farrell was sacked.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:08 AM
Watching Paint Dry

WorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by James
You are wrong. They were a poor side - in fact they were relegated themselves a year or two later.
Got the programme for this game off Ebay this week; at the time of the game we were bottom of the table, with 14 pts from 20. Man United were third from bottom with 16 from 21.

Oh for a repeat performance today!
Old 06-03-2005, 10:24 PM

Big Malcontent Big Malcontent Big Malcontent Big Malcontent Big Malcontent Big Malcontent Big Malcontent Big Malcontent Big Malcontent Big Malcontent Big Malcontent
Quote:
Originally posted by WorthingEagle
Got the programme for this game off Ebay this week; at the time of the game we were bottom of the table, with 14 pts from 20. Man United were third from bottom with 16 from 21.

Oh for a repeat performance today!
Perhaps it will prove to be a repeat performance, in a way. The 5-0 game broke United's reputation for a long time. Yesterday's game might have a similar result. I suspect there'll be many teams and referees thinking that if 10 man Palace can stand up to United's intimidation then maybe they can as well.

And if yesterday isn't the start of a process that will break United's reputation again then it has certainly diminished their reputation.