Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 20-04-2008, 10:54 AM
I heard you say..hey hey!

blazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
Mitcham Training Ground

The Imperial Training Ground on London Road brings back many memories of bunking off school, to watch my favourite players train on a Thursday.
I spent alot of time there in 1995 & 1996, they even let me be a ball girl from time to time.
Spent most of my time Watching Nigel Martyn train with Vic B and Rhys Wilmott.
I collected alot of autographs and pictures back in the day.

My most vivd memories of being at the training ground, is the day Nigel Martyn gave me a kiss.
Ray Houghton told him it was my Birthday, so he gave me a Birthday kiss. It wasn't my Birthday, but hats off to Ray, it was priceless!
The second memory was a young Clinton Morrison, inviting me and a female friend into the showers with him. He called through the window of the shower block, for us to come inside. Obvious he believed he was gods gift to girls. But I always remember turning down my chance with Clinton. And the cheek of him asking in the first place, naughty boy!
My third memory is spending alot of time with Thomas Martyn, when Nigel's missus came to pick him up a few times.
He was 4 years old at the time, and a real sweetheart.
He didn't want to go in the club house, so he'd play outside the enterance where us youngesters would be waiting to meet the players.
He was lovely, he came and chatted to me, and showed off by trying to do a Michael Jackson dance.
Mitcham training ground, holds many other great memories, but way too many to share.

What memories do you have?
Old 20-04-2008, 10:57 AM

blazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
BBS just locked up on everyone, and has posted my thread twice. Nods please delete, thanks.
Old 20-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Got my eagle eye on you.

smileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is here
Nods?
Old 20-04-2008, 12:36 PM

What do you expect eh? I drank to excess yesterday.
Don't take the piss, he who decided to put his jacket on a random chair at the front of the Vicarage Road stand for absolutely no reason, then walk away and leave it there. Touche!
Old 20-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Got my eagle eye on you.

smileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is heresmileysmith Sam the man is here
Oh, is that what I did?!

I was wondering ...
Old 20-04-2008, 01:09 PM

You don't remember?
I take it you have no memories of Mitcham Training ground then?
Old 20-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Certa Cito

Salisbury : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSalisbury : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSalisbury : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSalisbury : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSalisbury : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSalisbury : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSalisbury : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSalisbury : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSalisbury : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSalisbury : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineSalisbury : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I remember around 1989/90 when I was serving in the Army in York, I took a bunch of soldiers down to the Mitcham Training Ground to do some radio exercises. A colleague and fellow Palace fan arranged it with Pete King I think. Had a great couple of days there with the likes of Nigel Martyn, Ian Wright, Garry Thompson, Mark Bright etc. Seem to remember Mark Dennis being around as well. Got stacks of photos and autographs. Steve Coppell was also a star.
Old 20-04-2008, 07:50 PM
On probation

jookbeard jookbeard jookbeard jookbeard jookbeard jookbeard jookbeard jookbeard jookbeard jookbeard jookbeard
Yeah used to like the old Mitcham training ground watched a few reserve and youth team matches there , always used to see a coloured kid there hanging around , I think he was a ****** but seemed to like fetching the balls when they went out of play , also used to drive down the the Cricketers to watch the cricket in the summer, good memories
Old 18-11-2018, 09:52 PM

hulkster Sam the man is herehulkster Sam the man is herehulkster Sam the man is herehulkster Sam the man is herehulkster Sam the man is herehulkster Sam the man is herehulkster Sam the man is herehulkster Sam the man is herehulkster Sam the man is herehulkster Sam the man is herehulkster Sam the man is here
What is now in place of the old training ground?
Old 18-11-2018, 09:56 PM
Lead Worshipper

Chillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkster View Post
What is now in place of the old training ground?
Tooting and Mitcham FC ground.
Old 18-11-2018, 11:08 PM

will hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minewill hung : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
another ron noades development
Old 08-02-2019, 09:15 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Old 08-02-2019, 11:20 PM
Tunbridge Wells Massive

Dobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is here
Think Maurice Drewitt was in charge of the training ground at Mitcham. Anyone know if he's still around ?
Old 09-02-2019, 08:07 AM

thereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is herethereichstuff Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Great video bubbs , it brought back loads of memories. I used to go down there quite abit and always ended up in the canteen having a drink and just listened to the banter .
I remember one training game on the back pitch had Richard shaw putting in some right solid tackles which made me wince . I think alan Smith was taking the session with wally Downes assisting . One of the players was moaning about smith when downes said “ don’t listen to that **** “.
Mark Dennis would turn up late and looking worse for wear , with some unsavoury hangers on with him .
Ah so many memories
Old 08-03-2019, 07:23 PM

barnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
The video was shot at the Langley Park Sports Ground, Eden Park. That's where the 1st team trained under Mullery and sometimes we trained there (youth team) too.

In 1983 I bunked off school for about 2 months to go there and watch the team train. I used to meet Henry Houghton at London Bridge Station each day, unplanned as we just happened to get the same train.

I'd have had no idea the team trained there had it not been for Stadium Manager Vic Worrell.

I used to go to Selhurst when I first bunked off and just sat in the Main Stand. One day Kevin Mabbutt was there doing some rehab work and I ended up kicking a ball around with him and racing him up and down the Main Stand steps. He was trying to build his knee strength back up.

One day just as he was leaving to go to the training ground Vic got in the VW van in the video. He went to drive off but got out and shouted at me "Do you wanna watch the team train? Hop in!"

I eventually got caught bunking off but it was worth it as I started training with the youth team along with my school friend Jason Cundy who I played with in school teams since I was at Merton Abbey Primary School.

Happy days.
Nay, nay and thrice nay. That is Mitcham and so is the dog.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:34 PM

barnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
"Mitcham"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DExp_1977_11_12_035.pdf (327.5 KB, 53 views)
Old 09-03-2019, 07:56 PM

The reason was Alan Mullery didn't like Mitcham. If I remember correctly, they returned with the appointment of Steve Coppell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DMir_1980_10_25_030_PAG.jpg (542.7 KB, 77 views)
Old 12-03-2019, 06:31 PM

CJ PLUM Sam the man is hereCJ PLUM Sam the man is hereCJ PLUM Sam the man is hereCJ PLUM Sam the man is hereCJ PLUM Sam the man is hereCJ PLUM Sam the man is hereCJ PLUM Sam the man is hereCJ PLUM Sam the man is hereCJ PLUM Sam the man is hereCJ PLUM Sam the man is hereCJ PLUM Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
Think Maurice Drewitt was in charge of the training ground at Mitcham. Anyone know if he's still around ?
Maurice previously was the driving force behind the Rail Traveller's Club of the 70's and later became kit man before taking role of training ground manager but was part of the redundancies in the Goldberg era.

He moved down to Blandford Forum area in Dorset. He run a successful stall at car boot sales and fairs selling specialism handmade sweets such as fudge. Has now retired but still speak to him occasionally.
Old 16-03-2019, 08:57 AM
father of John

Ron Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRon Noakes : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
In the late 90s I worked in Colliers Wood. There was a game against Chelsea arranged (may have been reserves, not sure they had u23s then) so I popped down to watch the second half in my lunch break.
I was just standing on the touchline, no stands of course, so it was just the same as watching a Sunday League match, except that Rudd Gullit was playing! It was quite surreal.
Old 16-03-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Noakes View Post
In the late 90s I worked in Colliers Wood. There was a game against Chelsea arranged (may have been reserves, not sure they had u23s then) so I popped down to watch the second half in my lunch break.
I was just standing on the touchline, no stands of course, so it was just the same as watching a Sunday League match, except that Rudd Gullit was playing! It was quite surreal.
True. It was a reserve match. If memory serves, David Rocastle, Mark Stein and Eddie Newton played as well.