Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 17-07-2008, 06:13 PM

ian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Failed to do both together - here's the second.
This could be typical of the time Palace were at The Nest.
The "Sunny South Express" was a summer train from the north
to Sussex coastal resorts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg selhurst station 1903 - 1923.jpg (239.2 KB, 229 views)
Old 17-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Sorry I don't have a scanner, otherwise I could have posted some photos of the electric trains using the overhead electricity supply. They would be from "Southern electric album" by Alan Williams, published by Ian Allan in 1977.
Old 18-07-2008, 02:08 AM
Watching The Reserves Again

arussell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minearussell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minearussell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minearussell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minearussell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minearussell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minearussell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minearussell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minearussell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minearussell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minearussell : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Alan Futter's CC book is excellent and well worth a read.

You can find it in Croydon library, but last time I spoke to him he did still have copies (at cheaper than above) left, that also came with a printed add on of corrections and extra info (this was about 2 years ago mind you).

This should be in the copy in the library at Croydon, as I did give the guys in their a copy of the update to put in their copies.
Old 18-07-2008, 08:46 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by ian king

This could be typical of the time Palace were at The Nest.
The "Sunny South Express" was a summer train from the north
to Sussex coastal resorts
That one will be perfect Ian - to a non train expert (me), that looks just as good as what I was hoping might have gone past the ground. Will print it off and add to my rapidly expanding collection of material.

Have found 3 old cigarette cards with match action from the Nest too. You can't see very much of the ground at all that is different to what's already shown on my first set of scans, but they are interesting nonetheless:-

(LINK:-

Amazingly the book on Croydon Common has arrived already! It's an absolute mine of info on that club (almost too much info!) (and yes, it includes the update insert) but in particular there are plenty of images of The Nest to be getting on with, as well as the odd description or two. It will take quite a while to absorb all the useful stuff in that tome!

Thanks all for help so far, I intend to keep popping back and adding bits and bobs to this thread as and when I find them!
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013

Last edited by Dorking .Eagle; 18-07-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:17 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Colour version of the second pic from this thread

"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 12-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Optimistic Eagle

telodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
That is a real find DE,well done.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Old 12-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Old 13-11-2009, 12:16 AM
Optimistic Eagle

telodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Any idea of the teams involved in the above 2 pictures, I assume the dark shirts are Croydon Common. Also on the 3 cards you posted earlier, are those from Palace games ?
Old 13-11-2009, 08:35 AM
Collecting Palace tat

The 3 cigarette cards are all Palace games.

The two large black and white pictures are indeed Croydon Common and are taken from the website Croydoncommon.com

Old 13-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Optimistic Eagle

Cheers DE
Old 02-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Collecting Palace tat

An aerial view of The Nest from 1924 (football ground is at the TOP of the postcard - the rectangular field on the right is a nursery!)

More of the same aerial photo is shown below

Last edited by Dorking .Eagle; 13-10-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Old skool BBSer

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Some great old photos, love them.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:01 PM

macstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is heremacstar Sam the man is here
i walk through selhurst depot all the time, working for southern and all...

a wall from one of the old stands is still up.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:02 PM

Nelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by macstar

Take some pics and post them please.

Described by CPFC2010 as a Palace hero.

I will happily neg rep anybody who suggests the Whitehorse is made the away fans end.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Optimistic Eagle

Great pictures Dorking cheers
Old 02-09-2010, 09:36 PM

cranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is here
What is the site of The Nest used for these days or what was built on it
Old 02-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Optimistic Eagle

Southern Region Railway Yard
Old 02-09-2010, 10:05 PM
Optimistic Eagle

Slightly off topic, some good pictures here of other clubs grounds that are no longer with us.
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 02-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Quote:
Originally Posted by macstar

ian king and I are pretty certain that the grandstand is still there and now used as a store. It's pretty hemmed in amongst the various buildings and sheds and has since had a large chimney added and the roof long since lopped off, but there are far too many coincidental features to the building in question - from the number of rooms and windows, the seating tier stepping still being visible, the location and dimensions of the building etc etc.

I do have the odd picture I can try and dig out.

Last edited by Dorking .Eagle; 02-09-2010 at 10:41 PM.