Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 03-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Old skool BBSer

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by macstar
i walk through selhurst depot all the time, working for southern and all...

a wall from one of the old stands is still up.
Take your camera next time.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is here
In case anyone missed the dedicated thread from last year, this site is very interesting and has profiles of every player who ever played for Croydon Common at The Nest. Interestingly, before moving to the Nest the Common played on the playing fields by Henderson Road and in the grounds of what is now Selhurst School.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 03-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Mr Irony

Neckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is here
I was looking at that site the other week, its nice little read. I bought "Who Killed The Cock Robins" when it was first published and I'd recommend it to anybody who has an interest in old football. I've always thought there was a film in Percy Barnfather - plumber, musical hall act, war hero, footballer.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Probable remains of former grandstand at The Nest (now Selhurst Depot)

Apologies for the appaliling picture quality, but for those who were curious to see the remains of The Nest, here is Ian King from a couple of years ago doing a piece to camera for Palace World in front of the (possible) former grandstand (minus roof) at site of The Nest. It is now converted to stores but several key identifying original features are still visible. The risers or 'steps' I referred to earlier in the thread can be seen on the side wall. It's an intriguing structure!

"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013

Last edited by Dorking .Eagle; 13-10-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:37 PM

big bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is here
Some great pictures on here Dorking. Saw recently that when we played Exeter sometime back in the early 20's the game was played at the neutral Dell (southampton for those under 25) as the Nest was closed down due to crowd trouble. Probably the old Bangole mob throwing half pennies at the ref. Maybe yourself or Ian could enlighten us on what those post war yobbos did to get the nest shut down for a game.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:37 AM
Optimistic Eagle

telodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
All I have ever been able to find out is that there was crowd trouble after we lost to Southend. We obviously had nutters following us then, the yobbos overturned a refreshment stand at Bath when we lost in the FA cup in the 30's ! To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 06-09-2010, 07:20 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
According to Nigel Sands' A-Z (Under 'Crowd Trouble'), at the end of a midweek 2-3 loss to Southend, some fans surrounded the visitors right back (obviously got on the pitch then!). Apparantly the Southend player had played a 'consistently over-vigourous match')
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013

Last edited by Dorking .Eagle; 13-10-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:29 PM

tony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The game v Southend was played on a Wednesday afternoon, I remember when a 'youngster' shops closed Wednesday at lunch time for the rest of the day. I enclose a report from a Croydon paper of the game, which reports as said before a over-vigourous match.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg palace v southend 1920.jpg (876.4 KB, 92 views)
Old 06-09-2010, 10:15 PM
Optimistic Eagle

telodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Great report Tony, never heard of Southend being referred to as the Cockles
Old 07-09-2010, 05:29 AM

cad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I remember some years ago an elderly Palace supporter telling me how there was a period when the rivalry with Southend matched our later hatred of Brighton.

Did it start as a result of this game?
Old 07-09-2010, 05:32 AM
Ex-pat leviathan

GodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGodstoneEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
fascinating stuff here
Old 07-09-2010, 01:20 PM

selhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Fantastic stuff. Dorking - I have reserved a space in the museum for dads painting to fit alongside the other two.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:20 PM

selhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cad
I remember some years ago an elderly Palace supporter telling me how there was a period when the rivalry with Southend matched our later hatred of Brighton.

Did it start as a result of this game?
Was it me munchkins.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:51 PM

ian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle
Just seen this pic in "Edwardian Croydon Illustrated" which says it is the first match of the 1911 season and Croydon Common v Norwich City Reserves that Croydon won 4-1. (Pic also appears in "Who Killed The Cock Robins" with date of 2nd September 1911)

"Edwardian Croydon" also says the managers name was Mr. Robins and may have given his name to the club as a nickname but this appears to be wrong as "Who Killed..." says Mr. Bartlett was manager.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:28 AM

tony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Great to see old photos, thanks for posting, also grateful to those bygone cameramen. Not many early 1900s pictures of the Palace at Crystal Palace though apart from team shots (at least I have not seen many) maybe because the Common was the local Croydon team? I suppose Palace would have gone back to their old ground if Croydon Common had been able to continue? Perhaps many of us from Croydon would have been Common supporters (how can I say that)? Must also remember we did play at Herne Hill for a short time.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Collecting Palace tat

I don't really know why Palace chose The Nest rather than returning to CP when WW1 finished.

To be fair, crowds at CP were disapointing, and with Croydon Common disbanded, there was a large number of football fans in Selhurst looking for a team to follow to replace Common. It must have been tempting to move to Selhurst in the hope that CPFC would add the support of The Common's old fans to those who already followed CPFC

1912-13 Directors Foreword in the Yearbook (where have we heard this before!) :

"We must place on record our opinion that, considering the first-class football that we place before the sporting public of the district, we really do not get adequate support!
We are deeply grateful to the loyal crowd who support us through thick and thin, but we cannot shut our eyes to the fact that a very considerable section are only lukewarm in their affection for the Club, and, directly a match or two is lost, desert it"

Old 12-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is here
Quote:
From what he's wearing I'd say that bloke who is standing on the goal line for some reason is a time traveller from the 50s!
Old 12-09-2010, 11:10 AM

ian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

1912-13 Directors Foreword in the Yearbook (where have we heard this before!) :
More of the same from 1914-15 Handbook
"It is you friends, who can help us most materially if you will. Don't stay away if we have an 'off day' now and then."
Paragraph ends "without any worry about the smallness of the 'gate'".
Old 13-09-2010, 07:29 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychokiller
From what he's wearing I'd say that bloke who is standing on the goal line for some reason is a time traveller from the 50s!
What's he doing there!!

Old 13-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Optimistic Eagle

It was an experiment by the FA to have an extra official on the goal line to help the ref on important goal line decisions. Obviously never caught on.