Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 13-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhursthoover
Fantastic stuff. Dorking - I have reserved a space in the museum for dads painting to fit alongside the other two.
It will be an honour.

That said, I'm still (hurriedly) collecting photos and images to help my dad with all the details in the painting - consequently he hasn't started yet. Probably going to be end of October/early November before he even starts on it, as I've still got a bit to get (so the painting won't be finished till next spring/summer at the earliest).

The picture will be very strongly based on this aerial view of the area (2 pictures photoshopped together) as it's the best picture I can get of the old ground, and will therefore have lots of other local landmarks (some no longer in existence) and points of reference.

The 'bottom' of the painting will probably be where the Holy Trinity Church is on the aerial view, because as interesting as it is to see how the area around the Selhurst Arms has changed since the 1920's, the picture should be centred around the old ground.

As with every time I ask dad to do a Palace ground painting for me I've been gathering loads and loads of pictures old and new of the area to try and get as much detail as possible - I'm now over 100 reference pictures - stuff like the following:-

(Selhurst Station - note the tram lines and poles)

(Selhurst Road looking north towards the rail bridge - on the right is the War Memorial, which still exists, however the Holy Trinity Church, vicarage and school have all now gone)

(Selhurst Station 1960's) - The wall opposite is the same still in place today, this was the entrance to The Nest. The only real change to this wall today is that the entrance has been widened by the removal of the central two piers to give a nice wide entrance now. The tram poles and wires were still in use in the 60's but for trolleybuses!
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013

Last edited by Dorking .Eagle; 13-09-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 13-09-2010, 09:12 PM

cad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle
What's he doing there!!
I would hazard a guess it's the referee, an incident following a corner kick.

Also, your last photo of Selhurst station in the 1960s is conspicuous by the absence of Selhurst floodlights on the horizon. When were the lights on the roof of the old stand augmented by the pylons?
Old 13-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
First lot of pylons (numerous poles) - Sept 1953

Four huge pylons - 1962
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 13-09-2010, 09:40 PM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Quote:
I don't really know why Palace chose The Nest rather than returning to CP when WW1 finished.

To be fair, crowds at CP were disapointing, and with Croydon Common disbanded, there was a large number of football fans in Selhurst looking for a team to follow to replace Common. It must have been tempting to move to Selhurst in the hope that CPFC would add the support of The Common's old fans to those who already followed CPFC

1912-13 Directors Foreword in the Yearbook (where have we heard this before!) :

"We must place on record our opinion that, considering the first-class football that we place before the sporting public of the district, we really do not get adequate support!
We are deeply grateful to the loyal crowd who support us through thick and thin, but we cannot shut our eyes to the fact that a very considerable section are only lukewarm in their affection for the Club, and, directly a match or two is lost, desert it"
I'm not sure if anyone can upload a copy of the programme from the first ever match at Selhurst Park v The Wednesday (there was a replica one done for the 75th anniversary of Palace playing at Selhurst Park (vPompey?)) - anyway - there were a few paragraphs written in it by the then Palace Chairman - Sydney Bourne.

Syd recalled a game played between Croydon FC and Palace (Not Croydon Common or the current Croydon FC of the Arena - but the original amateur Croydon FC) - Croydon also had a midweek team called Thornton Heath Wednesday - and the legendary George 'Lady' Woodger played for both these teams, before joining Palace later that season.

The game was played at Croydon's home ground at Frant Road, Thornton Heath (Just off Brigstock Road - it is now home to Streatham-Croydon RFC) in 1905 - one of Palace's first ever friendly matches.

Bourne recalled what a good crowd there was and that it struck him that the locals were very enthusiastic about the match, so he was pleased that Palace were moving into the area, some 19 years later.
Old 14-09-2010, 10:26 AM

ian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cad
Also, your last photo of Selhurst station in the 1960s is conspicuous by the absence of Selhurst floodlights on the horizon. When were the lights on the roof of the old stand augmented by the pylons?
Trolleybuses on the 654 finished on 3rd March 1959 before the four pylons were erected.
Picture therefore taken before that date
Old 14-09-2010, 10:54 AM

Tony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is here
Slightly off topic maybe, but my wife is warming to the idea of having a Palace related canvas on the wall provided it is an old black and white photo of the ground (selhurst or the nest) and it isn't in your face as such. Does anyone know where i can find something along those lines? Hopefully i can find one that meets approval.
Old 14-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Optimistic Eagle

telodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
There are some black & white photos on here:

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 14-09-2010, 03:30 PM

Tony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is hereTony Montana Sam the man is here
Thanks,

Anyone know of any websites that sell them?
Old 14-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian king
Trolleybuses on the 654 finished on 3rd March 1959 before the four pylons were erected.
Picture therefore taken before that date
Fine work Sherlock!

Old 14-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Great photos, very evocative. Have a couple of photos of Selhurst station - but they predate the club's formation (taken before the lines were quadrupled, 1903 I believe).
Old 15-09-2010, 12:59 PM

selhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by telodaja
It was an experiment by the FA to have an extra official on the goal line to help the ref on important goal line decisions. Obviously never caught on.
Old 15-09-2010, 01:05 PM

selhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietselhursthoover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Some great old photos on here chaps. Keep it up.

Old 15-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Usual diabolical image quality from me, but another interesting scene nevertheless :-

Palace in action at The Nest, probably versus Man Utd (1922)

A train rumbles past!

Old 01-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Some new pictures,

Croydon Common v Catford Southend (1913) (NB Palace moved into The Nest in 1918. Note how steeply the penalty area slopes!

Old 01-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Collecting Palace tat

A crowd scene. The grandstand had a standing area in front.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Aerial view. Holy Trinity Church (demolished 1980) in on Selhurst Road in the centre of the pic

Old 01-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Collecting Palace tat

The aforementioned Holy Trinity Church on Selhurst Road, would have been just up the road from The Selhurst Arms

Old 06-10-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
A crowd scene. The grandstand had a standing area in front.

I love the old pictures and so many of the gents look like old side burns!

PROGRAMMES!!!

Old 07-10-2010, 09:07 PM

new stander wasn't looking, but somehow you found menew stander wasn't looking, but somehow you found menew stander wasn't looking, but somehow you found menew stander wasn't looking, but somehow you found menew stander wasn't looking, but somehow you found menew stander wasn't looking, but somehow you found menew stander wasn't looking, but somehow you found menew stander wasn't looking, but somehow you found menew stander wasn't looking, but somehow you found menew stander wasn't looking, but somehow you found menew stander wasn't looking, but somehow you found me
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhursthoover
I love the old pictures and so many of the gents look like old side burns!

PROGRAMMES!!!

is that anthony darvil third from the right
Old 07-10-2010, 09:08 PM

new stander wasn't looking, but somehow you found menew stander wasn't looking, but somehow you found menew stander wasn't looking, but somehow you found menew stander wasn't looking, but somehow you found menew stander wasn't looking, but somehow you found menew stander wasn't looking, but somehow you found menew stander wasn't looking, but somehow you found menew stander wasn't looking, but somehow you found menew stander wasn't looking, but somehow you found menew stander wasn't looking, but somehow you found menew stander wasn't looking, but somehow you found me
dad