Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 16-03-2009, 09:30 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
This should bring back memories of Sunday afternoon viewing, waiting for the Big Match for those of us of a certain age. You have to get beyond the first verse of vocals for the instrumental break at about 1:40 on the clip that you'll remember fondly (or perhaps not).

I think it was usually the 12:00-13:00 slot. Was the LWT Show possibly 11:00-12:00 ? It was meant to be yoof programming wasn't it ? Just about the first of its kind.

Last edited by ElwissAtMemphis; 16-03-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 16-03-2009, 10:05 PM
56 years and counting…

Chobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey
not sure either,but The Persuaders was always on after The Big Match...........the theme tune still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end,they don't make 'em like they used to .............To view the link you have to Register or Login
Couldn't agree more! Thanks for the link!
Old 17-03-2009, 06:29 AM
Reformed Alcoholic!!

Location: Just off Pippins Bridge, very near to the town of Biffon!
Glaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
not sure either,but The Persuaders was always on after The Big Match...........the theme tune still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end,they don't make 'em like they used to .............To view the link you have to Register or Login
It sounds like Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased).

Which, by the way, also used to be shown on a Sunday afternoon.
Drebin, posing as a locksmith, enters a man's office and is greeted by the resident with …. "Who are you and how did you get in here?" to which Drebin replies, "I'm a locksmith ... and I'm a locksmith."
Old 17-03-2009, 06:40 AM
Reformed Alcoholic!!

Location: Just off Pippins Bridge, very near to the town of Biffon!
Glaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
At the risk of posting a link already mentioned, the full Big Match Theme Tune, featuring Budgie doing his handstands before the Brighton game

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Drebin, posing as a locksmith, enters a man's office and is greeted by the resident with …. "Who are you and how did you get in here?" to which Drebin replies, "I'm a locksmith ... and I'm a locksmith."
Old 17-03-2009, 08:44 AM
56 years and counting…

Chobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis
This should bring back memories of Sunday afternoon viewing, waiting for the Big Match for those of us of a certain age. You have to get beyond the first verse of vocals for the instrumental break at about 1:40 on the clip that you'll remember fondly (or perhaps not).

I think it was usually the 12:00-13:00 slot. Was the LWT Show possibly 11:00-12:00 ? It was meant to be yoof programming wasn't it ? Just about the first of its kind.
I recognise the music but can't remember what programme it was played on. Can you remind me please?
Old 17-03-2009, 11:24 AM

Tony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Nantucket Sleighride (or part of it) was the theme tune for Weekend World (often presented by Brian Walden - is he still alive?)

There were some cracking themes for current affairs programmes back then... World in Action's was great too, real 'this is important, listen up, we are doomed' type stuff.

Sundays on ITV were great, Thunderbirds, the Big Match and later in the afternoon an action adventure like The Persuaders or Randall and Hopkirk. Then a tea-time serial such as Black Beauty or Catweazle and into the evening, after the dull religious bit, you'd have Upstairs Downstairs. Where did it all go wrong?

Used to love all the regional jingles as well... Southern, Anglia (with its knight on a horse), Tyne-Tees, Granada, HTV, LWT's red white and blue logo and twinkly tune (it was always a lovely moment on Friday evening when they took the handover from Thames, which meant no school for two days)...

All the different matches and commentators...
Granada (Everton and Liverpool) - Gerald Sinstadt
Central (Blues, Baggies, Villa Wolves) - Huw Johns with his ('One-nudding, Birmingham Siddy! catchphrase)
Yorkshire was John Helm who I think did our 1-0 cup win at Leeds: 'It had to happen...'
Dear old Brian Moore covering London Weekend, hyperventiliating: 'And a GOAL!!!!'

'The pictures are from Anglia Television, your commentator is Gerry Harrison and Norwich City are in the slightly darker shirts...'

Happy days...
Old 17-03-2009, 11:29 AM

Nork1 Sam the man is hereNork1 Sam the man is hereNork1 Sam the man is hereNork1 Sam the man is hereNork1 Sam the man is hereNork1 Sam the man is hereNork1 Sam the man is hereNork1 Sam the man is hereNork1 Sam the man is hereNork1 Sam the man is hereNork1 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
LWT's red white and blue logo and twinkly tune (it was always a lovely moment on Friday evening when they took the handover from Thames, which meant no school for two days)...

Happy days...
Great post
"The cameras at the moment are focusing on the Liverpool fans, they look in disbelief, they look shocked, there's the odd one in tears. They've also just focused on one who's just picked his nose and eaten it which is rather disgusting."

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHIL BARBER View Post
all the doubters will be dealt with when it is confirmed....
Old 17-03-2009, 11:41 AM
ár lá

Chocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is here
Quote:
Nantucket Sleighride (or part of it) was the theme tune for Weekend World (often presented by Brian Walden - is he still alive?)

There were some cracking themes for current affairs programmes back then... World in Action's was great too, real 'this is important, listen up, we are doomed' type stuff.

Sundays on ITV were great, Thunderbirds, the Big Match and later in the afternoon an action adventure like The Persuaders or Randall and Hopkirk. Then a tea-time serial such as Black Beauty or Catweazle and into the evening, after the dull religious bit, you'd have Upstairs Downstairs. Where did it all go wrong?

Used to love all the regional jingles as well... Southern, Anglia (with its knight on a horse), Tyne-Tees, Granada, HTV, LWT's red white and blue logo and twinkly tune (it was always a lovely moment on Friday evening when they took the handover from Thames, which meant no school for two days)...

All the different matches and commentators...
Granada (Everton and Liverpool) - Gerald Sinstadt
Central (Blues, Baggies, Villa Wolves) - Huw Johns with his ('One-nudding, Birmingham Siddy! catchphrase)
Yorkshire was John Helm who I think did our 1-0 cup win at Leeds: 'It had to happen...'
Dear old Brian Moore covering London Weekend, hyperventiliating: 'And a GOAL!!!!'

'The pictures are from Anglia Television, your commentator is Gerry Harrison and Norwich City are in the slightly darker shirts...'

Happy days...
Excellent post!

Martyn Tyler took over Yorkshire commentary about 1977, he was the voice of our 2-0 win at Sheffield United when we had to wear their yellow away kit.

Kenneth Wolstenholme was still covering the North east in the late 70s.

Chelsea v Liverpool March '79 that was on last week - "And away we go, Chelsea in the white socks".

Who opened their lunch?
Old 17-03-2009, 11:46 AM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Check out the size of Woy Jenkins' asthma inhaler

Old 17-03-2009, 11:48 AM
ár lá

Chocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is here
Quote:

MARVELLOUS FAYRE!!!!!!!!

Haven't heard that for 30 years. Scary it feels about a month since I heard it. What happened during all that time? Did we ever get back to the First Division? Did we fulfil the potential of being the Team of the 80s? Did we ever win the FA Cup? Tell me that c*** Mullery ever came to Palace and I'll know you're taking the piss.

Who opened their lunch?
Old 17-03-2009, 12:05 PM
ár lá

This music can ONLY be followed by

What team's kit was that yellow shirt with wierd sash at Highbury on that intro? Stoke I think?

I was in a hotel lift in Rio de Janeiro many many years ago and the lift music was The Big Match theme, how bizzarre was that? There was only one other bloke in there, some smart black fellow in a suit tapping along to it on the handrail. That is top of the list in my book of 100 best lift journeys.

Who opened their lunch?
Old 17-03-2009, 12:25 PM

Tony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Yes, pretty sure the yellow sash shirt was Stoke (looks like Terry Conroy, I think). They had a much smarter white, black and red one, too.

That Chelsea goal from about five miles out was scored by none other than Brian Bason.
Old 17-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here

Brian Walden still with us..
Old 18-03-2009, 09:36 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chobham Eagle
I recognise the music but can't remember what programme it was played on. Can you remind me please?
Weekend World, presented by Brian Walden. We're having problems pinning down its exact slot, but I'm pretty sure that it was before The Big Match. 12:00 - 13:00 would be my guess.

It was basically a round-up of the Parliamentary week presented by an ex-Labour MP (he might have still been one for all I know, but he had a speech impediment that would have normally ruled him out of a career as a TV presenter)
Old 18-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Made in Bromley

monkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
even the early 80's theme tune was a goodun'

Old 18-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Out but not down

Duffle Coat Sam the man is hereDuffle Coat Sam the man is hereDuffle Coat Sam the man is hereDuffle Coat Sam the man is hereDuffle Coat Sam the man is hereDuffle Coat Sam the man is hereDuffle Coat Sam the man is hereDuffle Coat Sam the man is hereDuffle Coat Sam the man is hereDuffle Coat Sam the man is hereDuffle Coat Sam the man is here
Quote:

Weekend World ?
I have not looked beyond this post.
Old 18-03-2009, 09:52 PM
Out but not down

Duffle Coat Sam the man is hereDuffle Coat Sam the man is hereDuffle Coat Sam the man is hereDuffle Coat Sam the man is hereDuffle Coat Sam the man is hereDuffle Coat Sam the man is hereDuffle Coat Sam the man is hereDuffle Coat Sam the man is hereDuffle Coat Sam the man is hereDuffle Coat Sam the man is hereDuffle Coat Sam the man is here
Having read on , now, I just feel like a
Old 19-03-2009, 03:50 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
even the early 80's theme tune was a goodun'

Tune may have been OK, but the visuals were pretty crap.
Old 19-03-2009, 12:29 PM

philaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minephilaire : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Yes, pretty sure the yellow sash shirt was Stoke (looks like Terry Conroy, I think). They had a much smarter white, black and red one, too.
Dead right. Andy Burton's site has captured them both To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 19-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
A weekday tv treat, league cup final 79 on now..