Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 31-07-2009, 11:20 PM

ian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
40th Birthday of Arthur Wait stand in November

On Wednesday 26th November 1969 the Arthur Wait Stand was officially opened by Sir Alf Ramsey before the start of a Testimonial game for Arthur Rowe.

Perhaps the Arthur Wait Massiv might wish to hold a 'birthday celebration' at the home game against Watford on Saturday 28th November
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arthur Wait Stand.jpg (1.04 MB, 409 views)
Old 31-07-2009, 11:26 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
I'm sure the plaque from that "Official Opening" is still on the concourse wall at the back of the stand.
I have my grandads ticket from that match too.
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 01-08-2009, 09:36 AM

Woodside_CP is fond of sand dunes and salty airWoodside_CP is fond of sand dunes and salty airWoodside_CP is fond of sand dunes and salty airWoodside_CP is fond of sand dunes and salty airWoodside_CP is fond of sand dunes and salty airWoodside_CP is fond of sand dunes and salty airWoodside_CP is fond of sand dunes and salty airWoodside_CP is fond of sand dunes and salty airWoodside_CP is fond of sand dunes and salty airWoodside_CP is fond of sand dunes and salty airWoodside_CP is fond of sand dunes and salty air
The AW is my favourite stand - it looks proper retro and all it needs to be brought up to scratch is for the pillars to be removed, decent seats to be put in and the roof to be fixed
Old 01-08-2009, 09:47 AM

gingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegingerob : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I think the whole of the crowd at some point during the game maybe just after Glad all Over should sing happy birthday.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:52 AM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodside_CP
The AW is my favourite stand - it looks proper retro and all it needs to be brought up to scratch is for the pillars to be removed, decent seats to be put in and the roof to be fixed

Perhaps Claude Davis and Alessane N'Diaye can help to keep the roof up when you remove the pillars?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:56 AM

Woodside_CP is fond of sand dunes and salty airWoodside_CP is fond of sand dunes and salty airWoodside_CP is fond of sand dunes and salty airWoodside_CP is fond of sand dunes and salty airWoodside_CP is fond of sand dunes and salty airWoodside_CP is fond of sand dunes and salty airWoodside_CP is fond of sand dunes and salty airWoodside_CP is fond of sand dunes and salty airWoodside_CP is fond of sand dunes and salty airWoodside_CP is fond of sand dunes and salty airWoodside_CP is fond of sand dunes and salty air
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Satellite
Perhaps Claude Davis and Alessane N'Diaye can help to keep the roof up when you remove the pillars?

Or perhaps CPFC could get a construction firm to look into removing the pillars and ways of the reinforcing the structure elsewhere to support the roof.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:23 AM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodside_CP
Or perhaps CPFC could get a construction firm to look into removing the pillars and ways of the reinforcing the structure elsewhere to support the roof.

Uncle Ronnie already had that plan, Woodside, curving the Holmesdale Stand all around the ground.

When it was built - The Arthur was one of the biggest roofs in Europe at a football ground. I still don't think there is the technology to support that size roof from above (i.e. cantilevers) without huge supporting structures that the residents in Park Road will be pretty furious about obstructing their light.

Of course, until somebody actually buys back the Freehold and then has enough money - a new 'New Stand' is still a little far off.

My advice, for anyone that does finally get the money to buy SP back for CPFC - is to knock the whole thing down and rotate the pitch so the goals are at the Park Road and Clifton Road ends - thus negating alot of the hastle over planning permission as the new stands won't block out so many existing properties.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:11 PM

DavidB lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnDavidB lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnDavidB lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnDavidB lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnDavidB lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnDavidB lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnDavidB lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnDavidB lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnDavidB lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnDavidB lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnDavidB lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawn
5,000 seated, 8,000 standing - what's the all-seater capacity now?
Old 01-08-2009, 04:39 PM
ár lá

Chocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is here
The stand was much better when the enclosure was there. I used to sit 3 rows back from the old wall on the halfway line and the atmosphere created by the singers in front was superb.

Who opened their lunch?
Old 01-08-2009, 06:16 PM
I heard you say..hey hey!

blazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkblazey_cpfc sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian king
On Wednesday 26th November 1969 the Arthur Wait Stand was officially opened by Sir Alf Ramsey before the start of a Testimonial game for Arthur Rowe.

Perhaps the Arthur Wait Massiv might wish to hold a 'birthday celebration' at the home game against Watford on Saturday 28th November
Bloody excellent idea.

Consider it done.
I'll get it organised with the club and get some flyers out in the AW that game to remind everyone we'll be wishing a HB to the AW.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:23 PM

Lord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Absolutely love the photos!

The last one from the Whitehorse really illustrates just how big our ground was back then - I love the single crush barrier on the upper part of the terrace. It's sole purpose - one can only presume - was to prevent a crowd surge from falling down the steps to the lower terracing.

Barely any cover, but boy Selhurst looked beautiful back then.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Optimistic Eagle

telodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Always thought the view from the enclosure was poor, the slope of the terracing was too shallow. My memory is really going these days, perhaps someone can enlighten me. Was the whole of the stand open for use in the first game of the season against Man Utd. For some unknown reason I am sure I watched the game from the Arthur enclosure, but part of my brain seems to think part of the stand was not quite complete. Really do think I am going senile.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:22 PM
wer der waabbit

IAN WALSH knows where the wild roses growIAN WALSH knows where the wild roses growIAN WALSH knows where the wild roses growIAN WALSH knows where the wild roses growIAN WALSH knows where the wild roses growIAN WALSH knows where the wild roses growIAN WALSH knows where the wild roses growIAN WALSH knows where the wild roses growIAN WALSH knows where the wild roses growIAN WALSH knows where the wild roses growIAN WALSH knows where the wild roses grow
singing happy birthday to a football stand is a bit odd in my eyes but if it floats your boat crack on
Old 05-08-2009, 12:06 AM

ian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by telodaja
My memory is really going these days, perhaps someone can enlighten me. Was the whole of the stand open for use in the first game of the season against Man Utd. For some unknown reason I am sure I watched the game from the Arthur enclosure, but part of my brain seems to think part of the stand was not quite complete. Really do think I am going senile.
I am almost certain that all the stand was in use but that the back wall (onto Park Road) had still to be finished and the back of the stand was still open to the elements (see pics in CP v Liverpool programme of home game v Sunderland). Also the sides had yet to be completed. I too was in the Arthur enclosure that memorable afternoon having spent the Friday and Saturday morning at SP clearing up under the guidance of AJW himself.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Optimistic Eagle

telodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian king
I am almost certain that all the stand was in use but that the back wall (onto Park Road) had still to be finished and the back of the stand was still open to the elements (see pics in CP v Liverpool programme of home game v Sunderland). Also the sides had yet to be completed. I too was in the Arthur enclosure that memorable afternoon having spent the Friday and Saturday morning at SP clearing up under the guidance of AJW himself.
Cheers Ian it was the image from the Liverpool programme that was stuck in my mind making me think part of it wasn't complete. Not as senile as I feared, now all I have to do is try and remember why i was in the enclosure as I always stood with my old Dad on the corner of the Holmesdale.

Well done on being one of AJW's team of workers, I recall reading that he spent most of the summer mucking in and helping out. A true Palace fan if ever there was one.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:00 PM

Location: currently on steep hill overlooking Hastings and the sea
DocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
i love this stand feel at home there and hate sharing with opposition.

stood by pillar to right of half way as faced for most of my terrace days and always try to get seats there or thereabouts when visiting now
Old 05-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Arthur Wait, best Chairman the club's had.

Celebrating the anniversary of the building of the stand is a cracking idea.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:12 PM

Mike Douglas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Douglas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Douglas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Douglas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Douglas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Douglas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Douglas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Douglas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Douglas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Douglas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMike Douglas came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Celebrated my 40 years earlier in 2009. I came to the final match of the previous season against Fulham. I seem to think this was James the retired legal eagle's 1st match as well.
Initially stood under the TV gantry before we got them posh seats but yes let's wish the old girl happy birthday.
Old 19-08-2009, 05:39 PM
SHUT IT SLAG

Location: We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner
Jack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJack Regan came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskin Old Boy
Arthur Wait, best Chairman the club's had.

Celebrating the anniversary of the building of the stand is a cracking idea.
Not disagreeing with you, but what sort of bloke names a stand after himself?

Could you imagine Simon Jordan demolishing the Old Stand, and building a new one and calling it the 'Simon Jordan Stand' ?

Or, The Holmesdale being called the 'Ron G Noades Stand'?

Whatever else AJW was, he wasn't shy.
The president of the Commission Mr. Delors said at press conference the other day that he wanted the European Parliament to be the democratic body of the community, he wanted the Commission to be the Executive and he wanted the Council of Ministers to be the Senate.

No. No. No.

Margaret Thatcher
Speech in Houses of Parliament
30th October 1990
Old 19-08-2009, 06:04 PM
South London VfB

Neil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Regan
Not disagreeing with you, but what sort of bloke names a stand after himself?

Could you imagine Simon Jordan demolishing the Old Stand, and building a new one and calling it the 'Simon Jordan Stand' ?

Or, The Holmesdale being called the 'Ron G Noades Stand'?

Whatever else AJW was, he wasn't shy.
I'm not certain but I don't think he did.

It was always known as the New Stand throughout the 70's.

I think it was Noades's idea around the time the Old Stand also got rebranded the Derrick Ormonde Members Stand. That one never stuck because no-one know who the hell he was.