Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 19-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil the Eagle
I'm not certain but I don't think he did.

It was always known as the New Stand throughout the 70's.

I think it was Noades's idea around the time the Old Stand also got rebranded the Derrick Ormonde Members Stand. That one never stuck because no-one know who the hell he was.
That was the way I understood it to be. Never found out who Ormonde was.
Old 19-08-2009, 06:34 PM

ammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for youammiller is just too good for you
I still call the 4 sides:

New Stand
Old Stand
Holmesdale
Whitehorse
Old 19-08-2009, 06:46 PM

Harry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is hereHarry Bassett Sam the man is here
The AJW stand was not named at the time of construction.-Having been a Palace supporter for years it was great to see it nearly completed for the Man U game. Most of the time I watched from the Whitehorse end ( the posh end of Forton Eaf) when the access was open I used to walk round and watch from the Holmesdale.--Standing on the mud/grass bank at the half way line required the skill of a mountain goat after rain,so happy birthday AJW stand.
Old 19-08-2009, 07:29 PM
South London VfB

Neil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammiller

New Stand
Old Stand
Holmesdale
Whitehorse
I used to until the Holmesdale was rebuilt, then it all got too confusing for the n00bs and I was constantly having to explain myself. Thus I caved in and called in the Arthur.

Spank me silly with a slipper, but I have been known to call the Whitehorse the Sainsburys. Only when frightfully drunk you understand.
Old 19-08-2009, 07:42 PM
The squeezed middle

PoshPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoshPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoshPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoshPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoshPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoshPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoshPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoshPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoshPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoshPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPoshPalace came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB
5,000 seated, 8,000 standing - what's the all-seater capacity now?
It's just over 10,000 all seated now.
Old 19-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
I thought that Arthur Wait only found out the stand was to be named after him about a week before it opened (v Man Utd, Aug 1969).

I seem to remember reading a very humble letter to the supporters in that historic Man United programme, apologising that not every detail might be quite finished in the stand. In that letter I'm sure he acknowledged how humble he was that it had been chosen to name the stand after him.
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 20-08-2009, 07:32 AM
Grey Haired

geoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minegeoffh : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
The Arthur Rowe Testimonial match that officially 'opened' the stand saw a home defeat to the International XI. Tommy Steele the singer/entertainer I'm sure scored their 4th or 5th goal in a 5-3 win. John Jackson made a 'feeble' attempt to aid Steele scoring.
Old 20-08-2009, 08:31 AM
Optimistic Eagle

telodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetelodaja : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammiller

New Stand
Old Stand
Holmesdale
Whitehorse
Me 2
Old 20-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Palace/Panionios

waddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is here
I do too
Old 20-08-2009, 01:27 PM

Lord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLord Flange came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPalace
It's just over 10,000 all seated now.
a tad under actually, something like 9,800 ish iirc
Old 20-08-2009, 01:44 PM

Tony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I think it's a shame that the top of the Arthur Wait is smothered in adverts. I know it's a small thing among all the other issues surrounding the club at the moment, but wouldn't it be nice to get them re-located elsewhere for the 40th anniversary (I saw a thread somehwere about how there were spaces around the pitch) and perhaps give the top a new coat of paint.

If possible, I'd also like to see the club's name added to it and possibly even the restoration of the clock. It would help make Selhurst Park look a little less tatty.
Old 20-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Landlord

Son of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSon of Selhurst came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Regan
Not disagreeing with you, but what sort of bloke names a stand after himself?

Could you imagine Simon Jordan demolishing the Old Stand, and building a new one and calling it the 'Simon Jordan Stand' ?
In Jordan's case, yes I could.

I'm surprised the whole ground is not already called "Jordan Park"
Old 20-08-2009, 10:16 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Douglas
Celebrated my 40 years earlier in 2009. I came to the final match of the previous season against Fulham. I seem to think this was James the retired legal eagle's 1st match as well.
Initially stood under the TV gantry before we got them posh seats but yes let's wish the old girl happy birthday.
I certainly recall standing under the new roof when we played Middlesbrough on 4 April 1969. The crowd that day was 43,381 which was amazing given that the seating hadn't been installed.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 21-08-2009, 10:45 PM

ian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle
I thought that Arthur Wait only found out the stand was to be named after him about a week before it opened (v Man Utd, Aug 1969).

I seem to remember reading a very humble letter to the supporters in that historic Man United programme, apologising that not every detail might be quite finished in the stand. In that letter I'm sure he acknowledged how humble he was that it had been chosen to name the stand after him.
Spot on DE.

My season ticket and ticket details contained in matchday programmes refer to the "New (Arthur Wait) Stand" and did so until Bloye took over and then it reverted to just "New Stand". Am trying to find out when "Arthur Wait " was restored to it.
Old 21-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Old member.

Shipsisourking came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipsisourking came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipsisourking came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipsisourking came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipsisourking came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipsisourking came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipsisourking came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipsisourking came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipsisourking came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipsisourking came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietShipsisourking came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
my first match at selhurst was in the arthur wait, down the front,as close to the middle as i could, seem to remember there was a members only area. the noise was great, the banter was great and i loved it. I miss the terraces.
Old 21-08-2009, 11:48 PM

Tony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTony came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
This clip from the Man Utd match in 1969 gives a decent panoramic shot of the ground including the new stand and it's enclosure as seen from the Whitehorse.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 23-08-2009, 12:14 AM

big bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffh
The Arthur Rowe Testimonial match that officially 'opened' the stand saw a home defeat to the International XI. Tommy Steele the singer/entertainer I'm sure scored their 4th or 5th goal in a 5-3 win. John Jackson made a 'feeble' attempt to aid Steele scoring.

Remember he dribbled around the whole stationary defense first. Being of a gullable age, I actually left the match convinced that Tommy Steele was a great player.
Old 23-08-2009, 12:17 AM

big bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
This clip from the Man Utd match in 1969 gives a decent panoramic shot of the ground including the new stand and it's enclosure as seen from the Whitehorse.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
\

See they hadn't tacked the clock on yet.
Old 23-08-2009, 03:05 PM
ár lá

Chocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
I think it's a shame that the top of the Arthur Wait is smothered in adverts. I know it's a small thing among all the other issues surrounding the club at the moment, but wouldn't it be nice to get them re-located elsewhere for the 40th anniversary (I saw a thread somehwere about how there were spaces around the pitch) and perhaps give the top a new coat of paint.
Yes but the club would make the red and blue too dark and paint a big horrible blue patch on the back of the stand. The clock would be a felt sticker.

Who opened their lunch?
Old 11-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Why

Born to be Sad would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningBorn to be Sad would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningBorn to be Sad would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningBorn to be Sad would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningBorn to be Sad would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningBorn to be Sad would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningBorn to be Sad would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningBorn to be Sad would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningBorn to be Sad would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningBorn to be Sad would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turningBorn to be Sad would live that day over and over, but the world won't stop turning
Not that simply

without pulling all the houses down behind the aw stand you cannot remove the pillars. whats wrong with a retro stand at a retro club: