Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 17-05-2011, 11:11 PM

Archiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Its hard to believe that whilst the stand was being built along the Park Road side of the ground, the terracing remained open. How well planned was that! It wouldnt be allowed today but back then it meant we could still have 30,000+ crowds for the end of season run in games.
Old 17-05-2011, 11:34 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Over 43,000 on Good Friday for the draw with Boro. There are some good photos of the Fulham match (showing two of the goals) with the half built stand in the background.
Old 18-05-2011, 09:02 AM
56 years and counting…

Chobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is hereChobham Eagle Sam the man is here
I had always wondered how they built the stand entirely during the closed season in 1969. Now I realise they didn't. I was standing on that side of the ground for that match against Boro in 1969 and in my memory I've always pictured standing at the front under a roof. I now realise my mermory wasn't playing tricks!
Old 18-05-2011, 10:51 AM

DavidB lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnDavidB lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnDavidB lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnDavidB lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnDavidB lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnDavidB lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnDavidB lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnDavidB lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnDavidB lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnDavidB lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawnDavidB lets the band keep playing on and on and on, til the break of dawn
68/9 was my first Palace season; I watched half a dozen games, all bar one from the terracing on that side of the ground, so the Wait stand grew around that position.

When did it start being built? I had a gap in attendance between the abandoned Blackpool match, where I don't think it had been started, to the Boro match when it was well underway.
Old 30-05-2011, 10:05 AM

Eastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEastern Boy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by waddoneagle
Always be the New Stand to me
"We're the barmy, new stand army, la la la la la!"

Oh happy days!
Old 30-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Palace/Panionios

waddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Boy
"We're the barmy, new stand army, la la la la la!"

Oh happy days!
Old 30-05-2011, 12:18 PM

Budgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB
68/9 was my first Palace season; I watched half a dozen games, all bar one from the terracing on that side of the ground, so the Wait stand grew around that position.

When did it start being built? I had a gap in attendance between the abandoned Blackpool match, where I don't think it had been started, to the Boro match when it was well underway.
If I recall correctly watching from the Holmesdale by that Blackpool game in early December 68, part of the structure at the Holmesdale end of the Arthur, was already up.

By the Fulham game the shell was up and if not all, most of the roof was on and there was a plywood fence roughly where the wall was to be built beweeen the seated part of the stand and the standing enclosure.

Again if I recall correctly the 68/69 version of the HF moved from the Holmesdale to under the newley installed roof, or part of the roof for the Cardiff home match. They were in the promotion hunt, but we tore them to pieces with Roger Hoy having a fantastc game. I am positive it was that game, although the previous weeks game when we beat Hull 2-0 after the long break due to the bad weather is a bit hazy and it could have been that game?

[Malcolm Allison, Flamboyant manager with the fedora hat 1927 - 2010 The Eagles "Godfather" RIP
Old 31-05-2011, 10:23 AM

ian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB
Started sometime between August and December 1968.

Attached are two pics, Palace v Charlton 31st August 1968 and v Blackpool, the abandoned game of 28th December. The former showing little work if any having started on the Park Road side and the latter showing the beginnings of the framework of the stand with the crane in the background and spectators standing underneath!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CP v Blackpool 28-12-1968-9.jpg (1.25 MB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg CP v Charlton 31-8-1968.jpg (1.22 MB, 117 views)
Old 31-05-2011, 10:45 AM

audreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by waddoneagle
Always be the New Stand to me
and me
Old 31-05-2011, 08:33 PM

Alex De Large : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlex De Large : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlex De Large : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlex De Large : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlex De Large : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlex De Large : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlex De Large : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlex De Large : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlex De Large : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlex De Large : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineAlex De Large : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
My first season ticket was in the terrace of the AW stand at the exhorbitant fee of £2 18s 4d !!!!!!!!!!
Old 16-02-2018, 07:04 PM

Groinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Finally got off my backside and located the technical drawings for the Arthur thanks to Kevlyons72’s PM. Interesting indeed!

Last edited by Groinstrain; 16-02-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 16-02-2018, 07:35 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Wow, just Wow.

Don't ever lose those, what a brilliant bit of Palace history that is associated to your family. Brilliant!

I haven't watched a game from that stand in probably 10+ years (last time probably Wimbledon 'away') but I always remember the mens toilets being down some stairs and always puddles on the floor!
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 16-02-2018, 08:12 PM

Groinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGroinstrain came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The Arthur bogs in full technical splendour!

Last edited by Groinstrain; 16-02-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 16-02-2018, 08:22 PM

There’s an awful lot of technical drawings, with calculations for loadings etc....quite useful for the Club if they are intending on refurbishing the structure; although I expect they have these drawings themselves.

Old 16-02-2018, 09:05 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
That's them!

Don't assume the club have them, there has been numerous changes of owners and even just club offices since then. They could be useful when they look to take down the gantry and put new floodlights on the AW roof, plus long term they are thinking about improving the concourse
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 16-02-2018, 10:32 PM

eltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
This clip from the Man Utd match in 1969 gives a decent panoramic shot of the ground including the new stand and it's enclosure as seen from the Whitehorse.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
I've just realised that our first goal in the Division is very similar to our first goal in the 1990 cup final...
Old 16-02-2018, 11:39 PM

eltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureen3676 View Post
Arthur Wait was my father. I should like to correct the comment that his company made a profit out of the construction of the Arthur Wait Stand. This is not so. In those days the clubs were all privately financed and so I believe that largely his own money was used to finance the stand. He retired from his building company at the age of 60 and decided to build the stand himself - as site agent - in the closed season. He imported much of his labour from ex-staff around the south coast where most of his building operations had been in place. Not allowing anyone to leave the job for more time than was necessary, for instance travelling to and from work, he purchased beds and all associated items to allow all the working staff to eat and sleep at Selhurst Park. During that period he lost 3stone in weight, but adored every minute. The stand was completed and ready for the start of the following season. As a family we were all immensely proud of this great achievement. And as a footnote I should like to add that AJ never took any financial rewards in any way from Crystal Palace indeed it is mooted but never proved that his personal investment in the club during the 50s, 60s and early 70s was in excess of £3m. So please - let's get the record straight. MM
Is anyone in touch with Maureen? We should get her back - have an in-depth interview - anything she remembers of her old man. Would be so fascinating.
Old 17-02-2018, 12:54 AM
EAGLES

Billyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is hereBillyd Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodside_CP View Post
The AW is my favourite stand - it looks proper retro and all it needs to be brought up to scratch is for the pillars to be removed, decent seats to be put in and the roof to be fixed
agree. on top of the seats, pillars and roof it needs a new Concourse, entrance, facilities and be steeper. Apart from that it's great.
Old 17-02-2018, 11:11 AM

CPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC since 1989 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Classic stand. How I wish the standing at the front would be returned.
Old 17-02-2018, 12:29 PM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
Had some good times standing at the back with Arron, Brummie and Philsick..

Needs a makeover