Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 09-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Palace & Whitehawk f.c.

Ismale Sam the man is hereIsmale Sam the man is hereIsmale Sam the man is hereIsmale Sam the man is hereIsmale Sam the man is hereIsmale Sam the man is hereIsmale Sam the man is hereIsmale Sam the man is hereIsmale Sam the man is hereIsmale Sam the man is hereIsmale Sam the man is here
1997 eh?? A naive young 20yo purchased his 1st season ticket front row behind the goal in the Holmesdale lower tier for £180 for 19 premier league games,memories eh??

I remember the sublime skills of Lombardo,curcic,jansen,the songs "same old dyer! Always offside!" Edworthy,Deano (Gordon),Hermann marking a red hot Bergkamp out the game at Selhurst in a 0-0,Brolins headbandage flying off V Leeds! both fans pissed themselves at that!

Despite the numerous 0-3 & 1-3 home defeats & finishing bottom it was a memorable season! Well i remember it well anyway! Am i going mad? as i've forgotten most of this 1 already!

Noel Gallagher
Old 10-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Zuffenhausen

917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here
Paul warhurst was one of the few on Lombardos wavelength when he first arrived. Unfortunately injury blighted his career but he was a very good footballer

Matt Svenson was also very good for us, despite not leaving in the best circumstances
Old 10-04-2012, 03:56 PM
bit scummish really

Radders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by 917L
Paul warhurst was one of the few on Lombardos wavelength when he first arrived. Unfortunately injury blighted his career but he was a very good footballer

Matt Svenson was also very good for us, despite not leaving in the best circumstances
Excellent point!!

Personally, I loved Warhurst before he came but injury scuppered his Palace days. He was indeed on of the few that were on Lombardo's wavelength.

Warhurst, who was originally a centre half had been chucked up front by Sheff Wed in an injury crisis. Not only did he score a shitload for em but there were some incredible goals he stuck in for them.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:04 PM

eagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is hereeagle mart Sam the man is here
A good thread. Full of good memories.

Sasa Curcic was like a slightly sedated Balotelli. He was mad, completely off his trolley – but would just produce moments of magic on the pitch….

Lombardo was different class, and another level above Curcic. Those Brighton fools seem to be waxing lyrical about Vincente….but Lombardo played for a good Italy side whilst with us and of course went on to win a lot of trophies afterwards with Lazio. I do wonder what Lombardo made of his 18 months with us… It was coup to get him, without doubt.

Now on the Man City payroll, although never hear about him…

RE: the Palace fan who saw him afterwards playing for Lazio? I think I remember that Lazio were at Villa Park in the UEFA cup final, and a Palace fan in his shirt waited by the tunnel and called out to Atillio afterwards and he popped back from under the tunnel to double-take the Palace fan then came over to shake the his hand.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:12 PM
It's a goat Don

Il Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I think it’s a shame that Lombardo and Padovano took mush of the plaudits away from Billio and Bonetti
Old 10-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
A found Warhurst a frustrating player at times. Some times it seemed he thought he was better than he was, and he’d try something clever and get himself into trouble (particularly when playing in defence). On the other hand, when he settled for the bread and butter stuff, he could look an excellent defender. And he was definitely, when playing in midfield, the one player on the same wavelength at Lombardo. Their one-two for the opening goal of the season up at Goodison remains one of my favourite Palace moments.

Oh - and I thought Bonetti was really good.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 10-04-2012, 05:02 PM
It's a goat Don

Il Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietIl Padrino came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek
Oh - and I thought Bonetti was really good.
I never saw him (for us) but he had always looked good elsewhere. He only played something like two games as a sub didnt he?
Old 10-04-2012, 05:06 PM
It's a goat Don

From the following season - just before everything went tits up...

Old 10-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Padrino
I never saw him (for us) but he had always looked good elsewhere. He only played something like two games as a sub didnt he?
Something like that - and then got an offer he couldn't refuse to go back to Italy (I think).

Also - and I may be wrong on this - but I think he may be the man responsible (as Dundee manager) for bringing Speroni to British football.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:16 PM

cockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is herecockles Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle mart
Lombardo was different class, and another level above Curcic. Those Brighton fools seem to be waxing lyrical about Vincente….but Lombardo played for a good Italy side whilst with us and of course went on to win a lot of trophies afterwards with Lazio. I do wonder what Lombardo made of his 18 months with us… It was coup to get him, without doubt.
I still can't remember how we signed him!

I know he'd been injured a lot before coming to us, and Vialli at Chelsea was a mate of his in London - but surely he could have picked a better team then - we'd only just scraped up coming 6th and winning the playoffs.

If only we'd had him in '90/'91...
Old 10-04-2012, 05:18 PM
It's a goat Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockles
I still can't remember how we signed him!

I know he'd been injured a lot before coming to us, and Vialli at Chelsea was a mate of his in London - but surely he could have picked a better team then - we'd only just scraped up coming 6th and winning the playoffs.
Was there ever much truth that Coppell was after Vialli in the 97/98 season?
Old 10-04-2012, 05:35 PM

East-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietEast-End Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

One of my all time favourite games. Went one nil down, then we were simply brilliant. So much class all over that team.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:16 PM
They didn't care enough

old git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is here
The first home win against Derby (I think) in April was a brilliant atmosphere with congas around the aisles during the game.It didn't take much to please us that season.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Old skool BBSer

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by old git
The first home win against Derby (I think) in April was a brilliant atmosphere with congas around the aisles during the game.It didn't take much to please us that season.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:08 PM
It's a goat Don

We were right by Curcic when he did that outrageous turn. Zaha-esque
Old 11-04-2012, 03:21 PM
ár lá

Chocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is hereChocky Sam the man is here
Quote:

Watch Svensson deck one of their players off the ball just as Rizzo lets fly for his 25 yarder.

Who opened their lunch?
Old 11-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Old skool BBSer

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky
Watch Svensson deck one of their players off the ball just as Rizzo lets fly for his 25 yarder.
Shut it, Nigel Spackman.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:32 PM

maestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is heremaestro Sam the man is here
I didnt realise Lombardo stayed with us for a while after we went down.

He was the best player ive ever seen in a palace shirt, he just oozed class, what made it more amazing is that he looked like a 50 year old bank manager

http://www.gurkhajustice.org.uk/
Old 11-04-2012, 11:34 PM
Dig the new breed.

Pennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses grow
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro
I didnt realise Lombardo stayed with us for a while after we went down.

He was the best player ive ever seen in a palace shirt, he just oozed class, what made it more amazing is that he looked like a 50 year old bank manager
He did indeed. What a player. Easily the best ever for us. The only one that evens runs him close is Ian Wright. Imagine those 2 in the same team!

Unfortunately it all finished for Lombardo at Swindon away when he was subbed by Venables even though he was literally running the game & trying single handedly to get us back into the game from 2-0 down. He threw his shirt off on his way to the dugout in disgust. He never played under Venables again from memory but turned out a few times after he'd been sacked.

Lombardo, Jansen & Curcic. I'm off for the tissues!

"The F.A. have acted like a bunch of chocolate soldiers." Sir Steve 1991.

"Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes." Sir Brian Clough

"We didn’t underestimate them but they were a lot better than we thought." Sir Bobby Robson
Old 12-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Borderline lunacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennyfather
He did indeed. What a player. Easily the best ever for us. The only one that evens runs him close is Ian Wright. Imagine those 2 in the same team!

Unfortunately it all finished for Lombardo at Swindon away when he was subbed by Venables even though he was literally running the game & trying single handedly to get us back into the game from 2-0 down. He threw his shirt off on his way to the dugout in disgust. He never played under Venables again from memory but turned out a few times after he'd been sacked.

Lombardo, Jansen & Curcic. I'm off for the tissues!
It ended for Lombardo because we couldn't afford to pay him anymore!