Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 22-02-2013, 01:32 AM

WestyCPFC is singing out of tune but the beat's in time WestyCPFC is singing out of tune but the beat's in time WestyCPFC is singing out of tune but the beat's in time WestyCPFC is singing out of tune but the beat's in time WestyCPFC is singing out of tune but the beat's in time WestyCPFC is singing out of tune but the beat's in time WestyCPFC is singing out of tune but the beat's in time WestyCPFC is singing out of tune but the beat's in time WestyCPFC is singing out of tune but the beat's in time WestyCPFC is singing out of tune but the beat's in time WestyCPFC is singing out of tune but the beat's in time
Ian Wright

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Interesting interview with Wrighty. I was only kid when he was at Selhurst. So was one of my favourite players growing up.

From those who remember watching him play, just how is his time in red and blue remembered? How was his move to Arsenal taken at the time?
Old 22-02-2013, 02:21 AM
Vikings No 6

Big Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is hereBig Gav Sam the man is here
When he moved to Arsenal it was like losing one of the family. Fantastic player was a joy to watch him and Bright tearing up defences
Old 22-02-2013, 02:55 AM
Keep smiling

Happy Happy FC was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsHappy Happy FC was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsHappy Happy FC was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsHappy Happy FC was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsHappy Happy FC was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsHappy Happy FC was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsHappy Happy FC was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsHappy Happy FC was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsHappy Happy FC was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsHappy Happy FC was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsHappy Happy FC was in another world, a world of 20,000 girls
Truly gutted when he left. Never felt the same way about any other player leaving the club. A brilliant player for Palace, both on and off the pitch.

Loads of memories, the goal against Brighton (the one with all the penalties). The two in the playoffs (followed by the best pitch invasion of all time). The cup final.

When anyone asks me what Ian Wright was like at Palace I always tell them about when we beat Southampton at the Dell in the Simod cup 1988. I can remember the players coming up to the Archers road end and celebrating, IW pointed at the saints fans who had been giving him stick and gave them the w@nker salute with the biggest grin on his face, I thought he's one of us

Saw the video quite some time ago. Tough upbringing made him appreciate being a footballer and a father.

Remember feeling so betrayed when he scored on his return to Selhurst and then the nightmare at Highbury. If you can forgive him for those, he was a fantastic player for Palace. Any one that says different wasn't there!
Old 22-02-2013, 06:15 AM

topper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettopper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettopper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettopper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettopper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettopper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettopper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettopper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettopper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettopper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettopper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gav
When he moved to Arsenal it was like losing one of the family. Fantastic player was a joy to watch him and Bright tearing up defences
This.

Said many times before his third at plough lane, was all "wrighty" in one goal. Skill, audacity, vision and pace.

Met him several times in Croydon whilst he was with palace an absolute gent, remembered my and other chaps names. Also met him after a match at Highfield when we (the stewards football team) were playing the gooner srewards (and arsenal ladies if i remember right) on the astro under the clock end.
He saw us from the players bar and cut short convos with hangerons to come and chat to us for half an hour after.
Old 22-02-2013, 06:24 AM

orp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is hereorp pisshead1 Sam the man is here
HHfc was at that simod cup game, you shouldve seen him celebrate in Italy when we beat sampadoria (SP ) on pens to finish 3rd( only 4 teams in tournament lol). He was well chuffed after game.
Old 22-02-2013, 07:25 AM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
I think the thing about Wright that really captured the imagination of the fans is not only the sheer excitement of what he brought to the pitch, but the respite he provided from so many years of dross. No player since, for me, has come close to Ian Wright for raw skill and deadliness. He literally struck fear into opponents.

I remember he had particular 'victims' who he used to torment, too - Colin Hendry being one. I saw him have numerous field days against Blackburn, but I missed one away game and there was a commentator on LBC who was saying 'I tell you what, Palace have this lad called Ian Wright who is absolutely tormenting Blackburn' etc etc and could barely contain himself. Devastated though I was when he left, I'm surprised he wasn't snapped up before his big season in Division One caught Arsenal's attention.
Old 22-02-2013, 07:51 AM

ob13 Sam the man is hereob13 Sam the man is hereob13 Sam the man is hereob13 Sam the man is hereob13 Sam the man is hereob13 Sam the man is hereob13 Sam the man is hereob13 Sam the man is hereob13 Sam the man is hereob13 Sam the man is hereob13 Sam the man is here
nothing on what we see from the likes of zaha any many others nowdays but used to love how he would pass round the lhs of defenders only to run round the rhs and collect it himself.him and bright together were bloody amazing and just knew exactly where the other would be all the time.great times to watch palace and was gutted when he went.abused him with the birth certificate and wankers hat songs along with thousands of palace fans at highbury.i hated him for years afterwards! it was only after he left arsenal that i really got over it. when he started creeping onto telly at prime time on a saturday nights i was really pleased for him and quite proud that we had set him on his way.
Old 22-02-2013, 08:23 AM

Golf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is hereGolf Boy Sam the man is here
I remember if the ball was heading towards him then you got that kind of silent buzz of expecation for about half a second where we all were waiting to see what might happen. It was the same with Phil Barber.
Old 22-02-2013, 08:37 AM

scro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is herescro Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob13
nothing on what we see from the likes of zaha any many others nowdays but used to love how he would pass round the lhs of defenders only to run round the rhs and collect it himself.him and bright together were bloody amazing and just knew exactly where the other would be all the time.great times to watch palace and was gutted when he went.abused him with the birth certificate and wankers hat songs along with thousands of palace fans at highbury.i hated him for years afterwards! it was only after he left arsenal that i really got over it. when he started creeping onto telly at prime time on a saturday nights i was really pleased for him and quite proud that we had set him on his way.
Nothing on zaha? I am afraid i disagree. He was more effective than Zaha. Perhaps Zaha will surpass wright one day but he hasn't come close to him yet for me.

I was about 13 or 14 when Wright left. He simply had you thinking something would happen when he got on the ball. I think that era may partly be why i feel less easily impressed than some palace fans are these days.
Old 22-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Puncheon above our weight

sydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is heresydney eagle Sam the man is here
1985 was when I first remember being taken to Selhurst by my dad even though he assures me he had been taking me long before that. Ian Wright is the first Palace player I can remember idolising.

Will always be a hero to me
Old 22-02-2013, 08:51 AM
Bombay Bad Boy

Dave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is hereDave Sam the man is here
Never meet your heros
Old 22-02-2013, 08:55 AM

Red&Blue Sussex : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRed&Blue Sussex : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRed&Blue Sussex : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRed&Blue Sussex : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRed&Blue Sussex : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRed&Blue Sussex : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRed&Blue Sussex : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRed&Blue Sussex : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRed&Blue Sussex : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRed&Blue Sussex : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRed&Blue Sussex : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Happy FC
Truly gutted when he left. Never felt the same way about any other player leaving the club. A brilliant player for Palace, both on and off the pitch.

Loads of memories, the goal against Brighton (the one with all the penalties). The two in the playoffs (followed by the best pitch invasion of all time). The cup final.

When anyone asks me what Ian Wright was like at Palace I always tell them about when we beat Southampton at the Dell in the Simod cup 1988. I can remember the players coming up to the Archers road end and celebrating, IW pointed at the saints fans who had been giving him stick and gave them the w@nker salute with the biggest grin on his face, I thought he's one of us

Saw the video quite some time ago. Tough upbringing made him appreciate being a footballer and a father.

Remember feeling so betrayed when he scored on his return to Selhurst and then the nightmare at Highbury. If you can forgive him for those, he was a fantastic player for Palace. Any one that says different wasn't there!
Goosebumps thinking back to his second against Blackburn and also coming on at Wembley and scoring with his first touch.
Old 22-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Zuffenhausen

917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here917L Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by scro
Nothing on zaha? I am afraid i disagree. He was more effective than Zaha. Perhaps Zaha will surpass wright one day but he hasn't come close to him yet for me.

I was about 13 or 14 when Wright left. He simply had you thinking something would happen when he got on the ball. I think that era may partly be why i feel less easily impressed than some palace fans are these days.
Thsi is all true, though wright was what 24 or 25 when at his peak here?

Magnificent player for us, devastating when he left (Thanks FA)

Hasnt always covered himself in glory since he left, as far as Palace are concerned
Old 22-02-2013, 09:01 AM
South London and proud

croydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietcroydonexile came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Loved him at palace,his enthusiasm was infectious. Hated him after he celebrated scoring against us at Highbury. Give me AJ any day!
Old 22-02-2013, 09:31 AM
old git

pallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is herepallet Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by croydonexile
Loved him at palace,his enthusiasm was infectious. Hated him after he celebrated scoring against us at Highbury. Give me AJ any day!
And at Selhurst, like he had won the world cup. I remember when he left, I just could not believe or understand it. Some many wonderful memories, great player.
Old 22-02-2013, 09:41 AM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestyCPFC

Interesting interview with Wrighty. I was only kid when he was at Selhurst. So was one of my favourite players growing up.

From those who remember watching him play, just how is his time in red and blue remembered? How was his move to Arsenal taken at the time?

Ian Wright came to Palace in late 1985 - in Steve Coppell's second season in charge of Palace.

If you were'nt around at the time - the early to mid-1980's were probably the most miserable years ever to watch Palace - a relegation from Divion One in 1981 and four constant years of struggle, narrowly avoiding relegation in each season and the club just shrank in size and confidence - with 30,000 plus gates in the 1979/80 season to regularly getting less than 6,000 by 1985 - watching Palace was often like visiting an elderly relative in a nursing home- you often had to force yourself to go - and usually camer away shaking your head and trying to remember them in better days.

We had a succesion of strikers who ranged from decidedly mediocre to almost criminally/comically bad - names such as Tommy Langley, Andy McCulloch, Chris Jones and Trevor Aylott will send a shiver through the spine of many us who had to watch them (or a giant belly laugh, when you reacall many of their efforts on goal) - so nobody was really expecting anything sensational when Ian Wright turned up - but right from the very start, Wrighty had something that probably most Palace players of the time lacked - raw passion to get a goal.

At first, it was like watching young Bambi trying to find his legs, Ian used to come on as a sub and in his sheer desire to get a goal, would often trip up on the ball, but his energy and at first hurried attempts on goal did bring instant returns and he immediately became a hero, as Coppell slowly shaped a Palace side that turned from annual strugglers to a real force in the Division.

The making of Ian Wright really came when Coppell signed Mark Bright a year later in 1986 - Bright was similar, in a way, to Glenn Murray of today (except quite a bit faster!), he was very strong and could hold on to a ball and be the 'target man' laying off passes to Wright and helping to fend off opposition defenders which opened up plenty of space for Wrighty to exploit.

Watching Palace had turned around from being a bit of a chore to almost pure enjoyment and Wright and Bright were at the centre of all the fun. You could often see some of the opposition defenders literally shaking with fear at the sight of them!

I remember the day Ian Wright joined Arsenal - many people say it was like the day when John F Kennedy died in 1963 and everybody can remember where they were and what they were doing (although both me and Ian Wright were born in 1963 - so we were probably making a mess in a cot back then!) and you kind of knew that watching Palace would never quite be the same again.

Many people took it badly - I remember that Ian Wright's mum, Nesta used to come and watch Palace matches and some fans went and daubed 'JUDAS' in big red paint on the side of her home (in Brockley, I think). That was a shame, because I met Ian a few times (he actually stood in the Arthur Wait a couple of times with the rest of the Palace fans when he couldn't play through injury) - he was a great laugh and made a point of looking for Joyce the Voice True, who would give him some attacking advice!

I know some Palace fans now despise him for going to Arsenal - I was sorry he went - perhaps he wouldn't ahve if Palace had actually won the FA Cup in 1990 or actually qualified for Europe in 1991 after finishing 3rd behind Arsenal and Liverpool - but Palace under Noades didn't push on and become the big club that we looke like being for a short time back then - and Ian Wright deserved to be a big name at a big club - really gutting that it could't be Palace.

Last edited by CP Satellite; 22-02-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 22-02-2013, 09:53 AM

cantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is here
He was a great player. always likely to score and was part of one of the best ever striking partnerships in English football.

Comments on earlier posts:

I remember him terrorising Hendry, a well regarded centre back, regularly.

I also think he was warned by staff about his colourful use of language, particularly regarding the Southampton game.

Other points:

In the Zimod final, his performance was surperb, his goal where he shoots early is sublime.

After some really bad years of supporting Palace with poxy crowds, mediocre players he was a joy to behold.

Last edited by cantspell; 22-02-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 22-02-2013, 10:42 AM
Made in Bromley

monkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestyCPFC

like everyone remembers what they were doing when they heard elvis or john lennon had died,or JFK was shot,I remember exactly what i was doing when i heard we'd sold ian wright,i was in my uncle's back garden in cornwall sunbathing.....and I was absolutely choked,the only player that's left that has ever really bothered me
Old 22-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Veteran

JJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Satellite
I remember the day Ian Wright joined Arsenal - many people say it was like the day when John F Kennedy died in 1963 and everybody can remember where they were and what they were doing .
I was walking from Lloyd's to Bank Station. I stopped at the paper stall to buy the Standard, and saw the headline "Graham swoops". Then saw to my horror that IW had gone, and annoyingly for only 2.5million, but that was an afterthought.

I felt like I'd been kicked in the stomach. I have never been more gutted at a player leaving. The phrase "Go on Ian!" is the one I seemed to use more than any other for around 6 years, every time he got the ball I expected something would come of it. I took a non-Palace supporting mate of mine to a game in 1988 on a Tuesday night against Ipswich. I told him to watch Ian Wright up front, because he would one day play for England. He scored both goals in a 2-0 win, and for the second one sold the Ipswich keeper such a dummy he more or less sat on his arse while IW waltzed past him. My mate was very impressed.

Personal highlights of watching IW:
- The goal against Brighton in the 2-1 penalties match is the best I've ever seen with my own eyes;
- The long-distance goal in the 3-0 win at the last ever match at Plough Lane;
- Turning Erland Johnsen (I think) inside out before a beautiful chip over Dave Beasant, on a balmy Tuesday night after Dennis Wise and Andy Gray had been sent off early on;
- His England debut against Cameroon - felt so proud for him and for Palace;
- Stabbing the ball in against Blackburn before the unmarked header late on to clinch it;
- His impact in the Cup Final - wow, talk about born for that moment! I screamed until I had no voice left when he did that.

Wilf, Victor, AJ - love them all, but the day they left (or signed for someone else in Wilf's case) still doesn't feel quite as bad as when IW left us.
Old 22-02-2013, 01:13 PM

dim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is here
Ian Wright - the thing which stood out for me was that Palace finally had a striker who in a one on one situation, you expected a goal rather than hoped for one.

As one of the loyal 6,000 in Selhurst, the difference in mindset is immense. After keeping the faith throughout the Mullery period in which every match was a little death we finally had someone who could score and put the other lot on the back foot.

There were a couple of night games at Selhurst in '87, I think, where I felt we had really turned a corner. Against West Brom and Middlesborough, we absolutely slaughtered them.