Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 22-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Die adler

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcreedy
Wright in his Palace prime was about 6 years older than Wilf is now, and whilst Wilf isn't as deadly or clinical, he has much better ball control.

Wright might have been a wonderful player for us, but he talks way too much bollocks for me to like him as a person.

Love Wilf - pure joy to watch but you cant compare the two re. Age. We have to judge them as players whilst at Palace - Otherwise you could say Southgate was better than Thorn, Young. Cannon etc Or Collymore more better than Bright etc.
Old 22-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Die adler

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by waddoneagle
Same here, can really never forgive him, wanker.
Assume you mean for the badge kiss ?

Personally I would take that 50 badge kisses for all the good memories on the pitch. Wonderful memories - think Chelsea at home, Blackburn, the Cup final, Liverpool at home. To name but a few.

Off the pitch I take your point. Not sure I would trust him - Seems like the sort of bloke who loves everybody and nobody all at the same time.
COYP!

in-exile has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Happy FC
Truly gutted when he left. Never felt the same way about any other player leaving the club. A brilliant player for Palace, both on and off the pitch.

Loads of memories, the goal against Brighton (the one with all the penalties). The two in the playoffs (followed by the best pitch invasion of all time). The cup final.

When anyone asks me what Ian Wright was like at Palace I always tell them about when we beat Southampton at the Dell in the Simod cup 1988. I can remember the players coming up to the Archers road end and celebrating, IW pointed at the saints fans who had been giving him stick and gave them the w@nker salute with the biggest grin on his face, I thought he's one of us

Saw the video quite some time ago. Tough upbringing made him appreciate being a footballer and a father.

Remember feeling so betrayed when he scored on his return to Selhurst and then the nightmare at Highbury. If you can forgive him for those, he was a fantastic player for Palace. Any one that says different wasn't there!
Highbury, Why did he play so well that day? did he need too? I was there and will forever hate him for it. Hurt so bad when he left us.

Payney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPayney came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Got my first season ticket around the time he started at Palace. 1985/86? They were great times watching that team grow and then after a couple of seasons improvement start to thrash teams. Wright was a real gem of a player.

Anyone remember Wrighty and SJ in the away section terrace at Gillingham away a few years back?
Old 22-02-2013, 04:35 PM
COYP!

Football post, so its a Maz free zone! Enjoy...
Old 22-02-2013, 04:38 PM

Nelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is hereNelson Muntz Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by in-exile
Football post, so its a Maz free zone! Enjoy...
Repped.

Described by CPFC2010 as a Palace hero.

I will happily neg rep anybody who suggests the Whitehorse is made the away fans end.
Old 22-02-2013, 05:18 PM
They didn't care enough

old git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is here
Ian Wright played for Palace ????
You would never believe it the way history has been re-written.
Anyway when my wife was in labour with my son Paul the nurse asked her if any names were lined up.My wife who had overdosed on gas and air replied "Ian Wrighty- Brighty".
Old 22-02-2013, 05:29 PM

cranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is here
Quite simply the biggest goal machine Palace ever had
Old 22-02-2013, 05:35 PM
Watching Paint Dry

WorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranesparkeagle
Quite simply the biggest goal machine Palace ever had
I think Neil Shipperley probably holds that mantle now.
Old 22-02-2013, 05:39 PM

kestoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekestoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekestoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekestoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekestoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekestoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekestoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekestoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekestoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekestoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minekestoneagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I was as devastated as everyone else when he left but he's still in my top 5 ever palace players. They guy simply never gave up on any ball. He'd chase a long punt into the corner, reach it when no-one else would have been quick enough, dart into the box and smash the ball into the back of the net. It was so obvious that he would play for England. And then there was the cup final! What an impact. The crowd were baying for him to come on and when he did....bang.
Old 22-02-2013, 05:44 PM
COYP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestoneagle
I was as devastated as everyone else when he left but he's still in my top 5 ever palace players. They guy simply never gave up on any ball. He'd chase a long punt into the corner, reach it when no-one else would have been quick enough, dart into the box and smash the ball into the back of the net. It was so obvious that he would play for England. And then there was the cup final! What an impact. The crowd were baying for him to come on and when he did....bang.
Should have started the second game!
Old 22-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is here
I was at work in my first job at a record and CD distributors when I heard he'd left. I'd been there for a year sharing an office with Spurs fans who even had the audacity to insult my support for Palace the season we finished third and even they were gutted he'd gone to Arsenal. I actually saw Ian Wright play his first ever reserve game for us. It was in the days when the reserves would play at Selhurst on a Saturday afternoon when the first team were away. Everyone in the small crowd assumed he was actually called Andy Higginbottom due to a mistake on the typewritten teamsheet that was handed out.
Old 22-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Made in Bromley

monkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub Idol
Assume you mean for the badge kiss ?

Personally I would take that 50 badge kisses for all the good memories on the pitch. Wonderful memories - think Chelsea at home, Blackburn, the Cup final, Liverpool at home. To name but a few.
I agree,I've always said,that anyone who uses this as a reason to dislike him couldn't possibly have been around as a palace fan during the 6 years of memories he gave us,one little mistake ffs.

Just to add a couple of random memories of my own,him turning several plymouth players inside out before slotting home at the whitehorse end in a 5-1 win....and an awful game away at the wombles,suddenly bang bang bang,wrighty hat trick...not an awful game anymore!!!

And may I recommend his rock n roll football show on absolute radio on saturday's...a refreshing change

Last edited by monkey; 22-02-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 22-02-2013, 07:51 PM
Dig the new breed.

Pennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses growPennyfather knows where the wild roses grow
Agree with all the posts praising Wrighty & reading all the memories of his goals on here brought wonderful memories flooding back. What a great period that was to be a Palace fan.

I like many others used to absolutely love him & when he left I was totally devastated. I was working at Midland Bank at the time & wore a black armband the following day to mourn our loss much to the amusement of other football fans once they knew why I was wearing it. There was an Arsenal fan there who said he didn't know why they'd bought him as he wasn't good enough for them. I told him he would love him after his first hat-trick which wouldn't be long coming. Low & behold 1 week later after his debut hat-trick at Southampton he loved him!

I've never felt the way I did when Wrighty left & probably won't ever again. An outstanding player with a great winning attitude. He was also so fast with his floppy legs & some of his passing was sublime.

Yes I hated him after the goals against us etc but as others have said since his apology, shirt swap with Lombardo & kissing our badge again & his goal & celebration at the Geoff Thomas charity game he is well & truly forgiven & I know choose to remember the best player I have ever had the pleasure to watch in a Palace shirt.

"The F.A. have acted like a bunch of chocolate soldiers." Sir Steve 1991.

"Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes." Sir Brian Clough

"We didn’t underestimate them but they were a lot better than we thought." Sir Bobby Robson
Old 22-02-2013, 07:57 PM
Where am i

Ollie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOllie Ox : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Loved that video, some parts were genuinely moving.
Old 22-02-2013, 10:44 PM

Newozeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewozeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewozeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewozeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewozeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewozeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewozeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewozeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewozeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewozeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineNewozeagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychokiller
I was at work in my first job at a record and CD distributors when I heard he'd left. I'd been there for a year sharing an office with Spurs fans who even had the audacity to insult my support for Palace the season we finished third and even they were gutted he'd gone to Arsenal. I actually saw Ian Wright play his first ever reserve game for us. It was in the days when the reserves would play at Selhurst on a Saturday afternoon when the first team were away. Everyone in the small crowd assumed he was actually called Andy Higginbottom due to a mistake on the typewritten teamsheet that was handed out.
Think I vaguely remember that reserve game...but then again there was always errors on resrve teamsheets!
The day he left was the day I knew we would not progress into a 'big club'....not that it bothers me that we are not a so called 'big club' ....but it would have been nice for a while as those days of 30k+ crowds were special
Old 22-02-2013, 11:02 PM
GT

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
I can’t help see old Palace season reviews and see Wrighty for a top goalscorer, match winner and a lot of what his game stood for reverberated through the club during his time here. Hungary, ambitious, potentially eratic, unpredictable but with moments of brilliance with good intentions.
I remember walking away from Plough Lane in May 91’ after his 20 min hatrick, as a 10 year old thinking “wow” a true hero, who I idolised.

On that fateful day on Monday in September 91’ my Dad sat me down when I returned home from school, and put on teletext and I saw for myself, I was gutted. First time in my life I felt cheated, and perhaps only Lombardo’s departure (under far different circumstances) came close.
May 93’ as a 12 year I left Highbury in tears, seeing a hero in my eyes hurt my one true love Crystal Palace FC. I was disconsolate and felt betrayed, it took me years to forgive him, but I can disguise the happiness he bought me in my early years of watching Palace.

I met Wrighty a few years later at a signing, and as others have said don’t meet your hero’s.
Old 22-02-2013, 11:08 PM
GT

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychokiller
Spurs fans who even had the audacity to insult my support for Palace the season we finished third.
The endless dross I endure listening to my Spurs waffle on about Spurs going on to bigger/better things. Always happy to remind them who was the last club out the two to finish third in the top league.............I'll say no more
Old 22-02-2013, 11:10 PM
Former Chairman

Uncle Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineUncle Ron : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
He was quite simply an amazing Palace goal scorer and part of the best partnership ever at Palace.

I have many happy memories of goals and celebrations

If he had been fit or even given the opportunity to play I am 100% certain we would have won the FA Cup and Alex Ferguson would have been sacked by Man Utd.

However, Ian Wright walked away from us and has always been more vocal about his relationship with Arsenal and I still can't forgive him for it
Old 22-02-2013, 11:13 PM
Over Land & Sea

imashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
You new he would score every time Brighty use to flick the ball(his back to wright) over the last defender and into the path of Wrighty and that big gold tooth smile after scoring and them racing over to the arthur in the standing days.
Gutted when he left the best partner ship we ever had but he was too big for us and arse had the bigger stage for him.
It was telepathic between the pair.