Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 22-02-2013, 11:43 PM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
In 30 years of supporting Palace, I've only ever been really gutted when 3 players left.

Wrighty in 91

& that awful week in 99, when we lost both Lombardo & Jansen.

Last edited by gold76; 23-02-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old 23-02-2013, 12:06 AM

Sick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is here
Easily the most gutted I´ve ever been about someone leaving, everything after that has been easy, I think we all knew it was the end of an era. Him scoring at Arsenal to send us down was the most hurtful thing I´ve ever experienced and by god theres some stiff competition in the Palace hurt me category.

(actually off topic but 2nd would be Cardiff SF, my Dad 81, life long Palace fan, I was desperate for the chance to take him to Wembley and see us win something significant, felt like the last chance for me and him)
Old 23-02-2013, 12:24 AM

dowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is here
I was more upset about losing Wright than I was when I heard that we had finally succumbed to selling Wilf. Don't get me wrong, I'm disappointed that he'll be leaving us, but I think that with Zaha there had been speculation for several seasons that he would be going. I can't recall the Wright transfer being dragged out for that long a period of time?

I'd also put the selling of AJ before Zaha as well.

Edited, as I've just seen a post which mentioned Matt Jansen. He was brilliant as well.
Old 23-02-2013, 12:37 AM
Ex Waddon bloke

Les Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is hereLes Butler Sam the man is here
Guess over the years seen many go Peter Taylor was one that made me understand our place in the world of football where we could not keep the best.

IW I have a love hate relation with, you have to love him for what he did and where he came from but to stab us when we were down with the shirt kiss Grrrrrrrrr..As for the celeb bullshit thats all it is ,thats a job where you have to be larger than life,thats a living he made after football good luck to him on that.

Old 23-02-2013, 09:48 AM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is here
I was gutted when Matt Jansen went because there was always the thought of what might have been. Before Venerals took over he was starting to strike up a decent partnership with Marcus Bent. Then Venerals signed Bradbury and let Bent go for a pittance
Old 23-02-2013, 10:32 AM

CPFC247 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC247 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC247 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC247 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC247 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC247 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC247 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC247 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC247 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC247 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCPFC247 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ron
However, Ian Wright walked away from us and has always been more vocal about his relationship with Arsenal and I still can't forgive him for it
Ian wright did not walk away, he was sold and to the biggest club in the South at the time.
The reason he is more vocal about arsenal is 2 fold. They are a massive club, whereas we are not and he went on to become a 'great' for them. Due to this, he is asked more about them than us and is associated more with them than us. That is just the way of the world I'm afraid.

I always wonder those who get so upset when they remember his goal celebration in 93 rather than all the brilliant memories he gave us, are the same who booed him, sung shite songs about him, gave his family grief etc etc.

And if anyone claims the goal celebration came first, then that is just a plain fact lie.
Old 23-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Over Land & Sea

imashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
In those days ex players did celebrate scoring but nowdays there is a bit more respect even loan players Vaughan good example.
We did give Wrighty alot of stick on his return so I don't blame him know Iam in my 40's.
But there has been many of what if's supporting Palace maybe one day we will find out what if we keep our best players.
Old 23-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
Can't believe he'll be 50 this year.

These transfers, Wright, Lombardo, Jansen, they leave me immune to pain when heroes leave now.
Old 23-02-2013, 01:07 PM
Keeping The Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychokiller
I was gutted when Matt Jansen went because there was always the thought of what might have been. Before Venerals took over he was starting to strike up a decent partnership with Marcus Bent. Then Venerals signed Bradbury and let Bent go for a pittance
That was a shocker of a deal.
Old 26-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Supporting CPFC 2010

Big-Griff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig-Griff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig-Griff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig-Griff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig-Griff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig-Griff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig-Griff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig-Griff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig-Griff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig-Griff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBig-Griff came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Wrighty was the biz him and brighty were un playable they run defenses ragid and will always be a part of the history of my fantastic club........that is all
Old 26-02-2013, 11:17 AM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold76
That was a shocker of a deal.
But I bet a nice little earner for Venables' dog.
Old 26-02-2013, 11:35 AM

sci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minesci-dogg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychokiller
Dont remind me..

To be fair, we did well to ever get Jansen, and he had opportunities to leave before he did.. Without his injury he could have gone to the very top.

Lee Bradbury on the other hand...

Whilst Lee played at a lower level than Bent, you would never have thought that he would score more career goals!

Bradbury made the most of his talent to score 92, whilst Bent is currently on 80 odd
Old 26-02-2013, 11:49 AM
bit scummish really

Radders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is hereRadders Sam the man is here
Once he started hitting the net for us, he just became fearless. He would shoot from anywhere, try different things and they would often work!

His 40/45 yarder at Plough Lane, chips, headers, volleys and goals created through his sheer pace. My first full season watching was 86/87, when we signed Bright. What a time to be watching.

Remember hearing when he had been sold to Arsenal for 2.5 million on the radio, was a shock and really made your heart sink. Think with the likes of Wilf, AJ, Jansen and Lombardo that you knew it would probably happen. From what I recall with Wrighty, it was almost like it came out of the blue (less media speculation then, no SSN etc) and the first you heard was when the deal was done!!!

Loved him but then hated him when Arsenal played at Selhurst and Wright was suspended and he appeared in the away seats halfway through the game standing on the seats it the middle of the gooners with them all singing his name and him lording it!
Old 28-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Up the Palace!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Ian Wright will always put number 1 first... That's just him.

He was a superb player for us though. A true legend, even if he's an arse!

Last edited by Latvian Eagle; 28-02-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 28-02-2013, 12:35 PM

salad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radders
Once he started hitting the net for us, he just became fearless. He would shoot from anywhere, try different things and they would often work!

His 40/45 yarder at Plough Lane, chips, headers, volleys and goals created through his sheer pace. My first full season watching was 86/87, when we signed Bright. What a time to be watching.

Remember hearing when he had been sold to Arsenal for 2.5 million on the radio, was a shock and really made your heart sink. Think with the likes of Wilf, AJ, Jansen and Lombardo that you knew it would probably happen. From what I recall with Wrighty, it was almost like it came out of the blue (less media speculation then, no SSN etc) and the first you heard was when the deal was done!!!

Loved him but then hated him when Arsenal played at Selhurst and Wright was suspended and he appeared in the away seats halfway through the game standing on the seats it the middle of the gooners with them all singing his name and him lording it!

That plough lane goal was superb
Old 28-02-2013, 12:45 PM

Ralph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is hereRalph Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold76
Can't believe he'll be 50 this year.

These transfers, Wright, Lombardo, Jansen, they leave me immune to pain when heroes leave now.
Even reading this gets me upset. Seeing Lomardo play for us and be THAT good was one of the highest points in my time as a fan since seeing Ian Wright come off the bench at Wembley.
Old 28-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Over Land & Sea

imashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineimashed : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radders

Yer I remember that he was in the arthur.
Old 28-02-2013, 01:42 PM

nellis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnellis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnellis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnellis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnellis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnellis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnellis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnellis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnellis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnellis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnellis came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
One of my favourite ever players. Devastated when he left.
The same with any relationship break up, it's so very painful, but then later, you only remember the good times.

A small snapshot of the vitriolic years:
Ian Wright is illegitimate, he ain't got no birth certificate,
He's got AIDS and can't get rid of it,
He's an Arsenal Bastard
Ian W4nk, W4nk, W4nk
Ian W4nk, W4nk, W4nk

*The words contained within this documentary are not necessarily the views of Nellis Plc.
Old 28-02-2013, 02:36 PM
The fat old footballer

palace ray : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace ray : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace ray : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace ray : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace ray : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace ray : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace ray : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace ray : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace ray : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace ray : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalace ray : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I was only 15 when he scored that goal at Highbury and ive never felt that pain again, when he scored and then ran over to us and kissed the badge i was inconsolable. He was an absolute hero to me when he played for us and the only other Palace player o come close that i have adored was Simon Rodger because of his loyalty to the club, when we were in financial trouble.

It used to really hurt me when Wrighty scored for Arsenal

No Palace squad has ever come close to the team of 88/92 for me.
Old 28-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by palace ray
I was only 15 when he scored that goal at Highbury and ive never felt that pain again, when he scored and then ran over to us and kissed the badge i was inconsolable. He was an absolute hero to me when he played for us and the only other Palace player o come close that i have adored was Simon Rodger because of his loyalty to the club, when we were in financial trouble.

It used to really hurt me when Wrighty scored for Arsenal

No Palace squad has ever come close to the team of 88/92 for me.
You mean the way Rodger loyally told all and sundry that he was leaving when we were in administration, only to come back with his tail between his legs when no other club would give him a contract?