Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 22-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Slip it!

Abjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Palace Play Off Final Memories

With the Final looming on Monday, we've decided to do a feature on the previous Finals that we've had. We'll be doing one a day from today and have kicked off with the two-legged 1989 final against Blackburn.

It does make me remember the days of flicking through Ceefax for a score update, getting to page 5 of 5 and seeing we'd let a goal in. Brilliant.

Being that this was a year before I started going (which is why Jason wrote it, HE'S OLD) I can't relate more than remembering it going on because my Grandad was swearing a lot about the first leg. Did anyone here go?

Here's the link: To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 22-05-2013, 12:39 PM
On my hands and knees

Gerry from Sussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGerry from Sussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGerry from Sussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGerry from Sussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGerry from Sussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGerry from Sussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGerry from Sussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGerry from Sussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGerry from Sussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGerry from Sussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGerry from Sussex came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
It was a great day and an electric performance from the team. Seeing that video though I'd forgotten how many chances Blackburn had. I think destiny was just with us that year.
Old 22-05-2013, 12:40 PM
Banned by Moderators

PalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPalaceBhoy came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Listened to the first leg on the radio. I remember the joy of McGoldricks late goal quickly turning in to pain as Blackburn got a third at the death. I really thought that was a fatal blow at the time. Bumped in to Phil Barber in Addiscombe a couple of days later and he assured me the tie was far from over and he seemingly knew his stuff. I suddenly felt so much better. The second leg was one of the best Palace moments ever. Strangely the first goal was the highlight for me, because I knew that once we got in front, we would have too much for Blackburn. Had a great view of Super Al's pass from the AW too.
Old 22-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Certified Grumpy

T.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I had trouble getting tickets for that game and am convinced that when I did get through on the 'phone it was Ron Noades who sold them to me - anyone know if he was helping out then?

During match my brother and I had to hold up my 10 year old son for long periods so that he could see!
Old 22-05-2013, 01:41 PM

Chris of Beckenham knows where the wild roses growChris of Beckenham knows where the wild roses growChris of Beckenham knows where the wild roses growChris of Beckenham knows where the wild roses growChris of Beckenham knows where the wild roses growChris of Beckenham knows where the wild roses growChris of Beckenham knows where the wild roses growChris of Beckenham knows where the wild roses growChris of Beckenham knows where the wild roses growChris of Beckenham knows where the wild roses growChris of Beckenham knows where the wild roses grow
I just remember being nervous the whole match and then elated at final whistle with everyone on the pitch. I remember Wright chucking his boots and all his kit into the crowd. In some respects it was better than Wembley 97 and Cardiff 2004 as it was mostly Palace in the ground and we had been away from top flight for so long.
Old 22-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Doting Grandfather

BaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBaldEagle96 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Got home from the away leg to find someone had knocked on the door of our house whilst I was ooop north (there was a for sale sign outside) asked for a viewing, found out I was at Blackburn (he was a Palace fan also) and offered full price for it. Sale went through without any problems. Shit drive home but a happy ending all round.
Old 22-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Slip it!

Abjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAbjekt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.C.
I had trouble getting tickets for that game and am convinced that when I did get through on the 'phone it was Ron Noades who sold them to me - anyone know if he was helping out then?
Old 23-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Slip it!

Here is today's blog, which is on the 1996 Final against Leicester.

Brids was stuck in the loo at the end of the game, probably the best place to be when that clown scored off his knee. My memory of this match was that I was right at the back and had forgotten my glasses, so saw bugger all. Small mercies.

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 23-05-2013, 11:37 AM

saxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Play-off final 1989. First leg. Lost 3-1 at Blackburn. I'm the Palace mascot

Any comments on short shorts will be met with disdain and mumblings about back in the day/1980s/etc.

Old 23-05-2013, 11:53 AM

sydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsydnsteve came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
It's a very funny mis-memory, both my son and I were sure the Blackburn home leg was under floodlights, but it was 3pm ko. Great atmosphere.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:00 PM
Emancipated

TheJudge TheJudge TheJudge TheJudge TheJudge TheJudge TheJudge TheJudge TheJudge TheJudge TheJudge
A great game. The Swindon semi final was good too. The Holmesdale terrace had a great atmosphere on big match days.
Old 23-05-2013, 12:12 PM

BinfieldEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBinfieldEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBinfieldEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBinfieldEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBinfieldEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBinfieldEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBinfieldEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBinfieldEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBinfieldEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBinfieldEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBinfieldEagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxoneagle
Play-off final 1989. First leg. Lost 3-1 at Blackburn. I'm the Palace mascot

Any comments on short shorts will be met with disdain and mumblings about back in the day/1980s/etc.

Nice to see players and officials in black boots - the proper colour for boots!!
Old 23-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Afferte mihi cervisiam

Scrumpy Sam the man is hereScrumpy Sam the man is hereScrumpy Sam the man is hereScrumpy Sam the man is hereScrumpy Sam the man is hereScrumpy Sam the man is hereScrumpy Sam the man is hereScrumpy Sam the man is hereScrumpy Sam the man is hereScrumpy Sam the man is hereScrumpy Sam the man is here
2004 - travelling up on the official coach (never again) and arriving only half an hour before kick off. Still wanting a pre match beer but not having enough time, we spotted a Heinkenen lorry on route to the ground. Necked two pints on the walk.

Getting to the ground and walking from the concourse into the seating area and just thinking "wow" when seeing the sea of red and blue.
Old 23-05-2013, 01:15 PM

saxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsaxoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinfieldEagle
Nice to see players and officials in black boots - the proper colour for boots!!
I was, too. Unlike the little tart next to me in her snazzy blue numbers.
Old 23-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Selhurst Heaven

chrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is herechrisophiex Sam the man is here
Quote:
I was, too. Unlike the little tart next to me in her snazzy blue numbers.
Eh ? That Lino on the left has black boots on
Old 23-05-2013, 02:20 PM

Richard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is hereRichard Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceBhoy
Had a great view of Super Al's pass from the AW too.
"That's the bit I like" - Brian Moore R.I.P.
Old 23-05-2013, 04:30 PM

Watching the video at the end of the second leg makes me sad that we no longer get the opportunity to celebrate on the pitch. Pitch invasions (to celebrate, not in anger) were farily common back then, especially end of season.
Old 23-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is here
Quote:
Watching the video at the end of the second leg makes me sad that we no longer get the opportunity to celebrate on the pitch. Pitch invasions (to celebrate, not in anger) were farily common back then, especially end of season.
It was traditional, up until around 1995, that we'd invade the pitch on the last home match of the season. Even if we'd had a shite season or finished mid table. It had to be done. It's such a shame that football has changed to such an extent that you're likely to be served with a banning order if you tried this now.
Old 23-05-2013, 04:51 PM
T-T-T-T-Techno Boogie

FraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietFraserH came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
My Play-off memories:

Worst - shin wanker claridge. !0 seconds before he scored my brother turned round to me and said " I have never seen a live penalty shoot out".

Best - Hopkin Looking to curl one.

Honourable mention - Shipps winner against Wet Spam. Mainly because the shammers thought they were already up and the fact Shipps now looks like he has had a severe allergic reaction!
Old 23-05-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychokiller
It was traditional, up until around 1995, that we'd invade the pitch on the last home match of the season. Even if we'd had a shite season or finished mid table. It had to be done. It's such a shame that football has changed to such an extent that you're likely to be served with a banning order if you tried this now.
Do you remember 1990 pre Cup final? Home to Man City on the final day and both fans stormed the pitch, the police horses got about 10 yards on and turned straight back around as they didn't want to be in the middle of what they thought was a mass brawl.

What actually happened was a load of back slapping and shaking hands and well wishes for the week after! Great atmosphere! (For the record, I don't recall seeing anyone at Wembley wearing a City scarf/shirt as is often reported!)