Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 10-10-2013, 12:00 PM
Certified Grumpy

T.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietT.C. came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping Giant View Post
Welcome to the shortest thread in history!

Well ok, look, I I want to put on record my absolute passion for the fact that it was us wot stopped the mighty Arsenal winning the treble in 1970/71. This was the year of thefirst FA Cup final I ever saw and actually. I think that season I saw us lose 0-2 to them too thanks to my Spurs supporting grandad agreeing to take me along. Basically at that time (in my little head) Arsenal were almighty and it was impossible to think we could have beaten them. But we did, knocking them out of the League Cup. On their own patch too (replay). This was their team:

Wilson,Rice,McNab,Kelly,McLintock,Roberts,Armstron g,Storey,Radford,Kennedy, Graham.

Hardly makeshift was it? I was only 7 and I didn't know at the time that we beat them in the League Cup. I didn't know for many years later. Anyone here remember it at the time or go to Highbury? Was much made of it at the time or was it "just the League Cup". All that sort of thing.
Yes I was there - don't remember much about the game only the tremendous achievement of that win and the ridiculous way Arsenal gave away the penalty.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Palace/Panionios

waddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is herewaddoneagle Sam the man is here
We were the first European team to visit South Africa after apartheid, A great achievement
Old 10-10-2013, 12:06 PM
ribbitt

Baron Greenback is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthBaron Greenback is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthBaron Greenback is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthBaron Greenback is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthBaron Greenback is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthBaron Greenback is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthBaron Greenback is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthBaron Greenback is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthBaron Greenback is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthBaron Greenback is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthBaron Greenback is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truth
The first English team to win at the San Siro? Anglo-Italian Cup, 1971?
Old 10-10-2013, 12:07 PM

Budgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle View Post
We were totally hammered that night with wave after wave of attacks from Arsenal who spent most of the game in our half. We scored on the break in the first half I think it was Tambling might be wrong. Then in the second a long ball was pumped forward and caught by Wilson, Queen was in their pentaly area as the ball was cleared by Wilson and for some reason John Roberts laid a punch on him and we got a penalty the ball was in our half at the time. It was one of the most one sided games I had seen I would guess we spent less than 5 minutes in their half if that.
Even better we had to go back to Highbury the following Saturday for the away league fixture. Don Howe (the Arsenal coach) ranted and raged all the rest of the week about the 0-2 loss we inflicted on them in the League cup and bragged that they would crush us 5-0. Standing at the clock end things looked grim when the scored early in the first half, but we spoilt Don's prediction by making it 1-1 straight from the kick off and then put in another fantastic defensive performance to gain a deserved 1-1 draw.

70/71 we stopped Arsenal winning the treble, we were the only team to win at Highbury all season indeed they could not beat us at Highbury despite having two chances! Bobby Tambling scored both goals in the league cup game. Indeed we played Arsenal four times that season and they only beat us once.

We lost the home league match 0-2 drew the away game 1-1 as mentioned. The league cup was a quarter final and we drew 0-0 at Selhurst in a pulsating match then won the replay 2-0.

[Malcolm Allison, Flamboyant manager with the fedora hat 1927 - 2010 The Eagles "Godfather" RIP
Old 10-10-2013, 12:25 PM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie Byrne View Post
Even better we had to go back to Highbury the following Saturday for the away league fixture. Don Howe (the Arsenal coach) ranted and raged all the rest of the week about the 0-2 loss we inflicted on them in the League cup and bragged that they would crush us 5-0. Standing at the clock end things looked grim when the scored early in the first half, but we spoilt Don's prediction by making it 1-1 straight from the kick off and then put in another fantastic defensive performance to gain a deserved 1-1 draw.

70/71 we stopped Arsenal winning the treble, we were the only team to win at Highbury all season indeed they could not beat us at Highbury despite having two chances! Bobby Tambling scored both goals in the league cup game. Indeed we played Arsenal four times that season and they only beat us once.

We lost the home league match 0-2 drew the away game 1-1 as mentioned. The league cup was a quarter final and we drew 0-0 at Selhurst in a pulsating match then won the replay 2-0.
It was a strange season for us it was the only one in that 4 season spell that we started well, after the escape the season before I think in the early season tables we went as high as 3rd. However as the season progressed we tailed away.

The loss was on the Big Match we hit the bar before they scored, the final goal was in the last minute what John Sewell was playing at in the lead up only he will know. There was a chance that the replay would have been on TV however it was the 70's the TV crews were on strike that night

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Last edited by N Herts Eagle; 10-10-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:49 PM

Budgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBudgie Byrne : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle View Post
It was a strange season for us it was the only one in that 4 season spell that we started well, after the escape the season before I think in the early season tables we went as high as 3rd. However as the season progressed we tailed away.

The loss was on the Big Match we hit the bar before they scored, the final goal was in the last minute what John Sewell was playing at in the lead up only he will know. There was a chance that the replay would have been on TV however it was the 70's the TV crews were on strike that night

To view the link you have to Register or Login
Yes we did start well and a win away against Leeds played at Leeds Road Huddersfield (Elland Rd was shut due to crowd trouble) did put us at the heady heights of 3rd. I remember the Evening News that night had the head line "Watch Palace, there' on the ball" but we were not able to maintain the good form although we were never in problems that season, although the last game a 6-0 pasting at the Dell did not see the season finish in glory. Mind you we did go onto perform well in the Anglo Italian cup and that's when the famous victory at the San Siro against Inter happened.

We had some good victories that season with the addition of the experience and class of Tambling and Birchinell making a big difference.

We were beating teams that had easy victories against us the previous season. We also had win at Old Trafford (1-0 Tambling again) and a 1-1 draw at Anfield.(Gerry Queen)

[Malcolm Allison, Flamboyant manager with the fedora hat 1927 - 2010 The Eagles "Godfather" RIP
Old 10-10-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Yes we did start well and a win away against Leeds played at Leeds Road Huddersfield (Elland Rd was shut due to crowd trouble) did put us at the heady heights of 3rd. I remember the Evening News that night had the head line "Watch Palace, there' on the ball" but we were not able to maintain the good form although we were never in problems that season, although the last game a 6-0 pasting at the Dell did not see the season finish in glory. Mind you we did go onto perform well in the Anglo Italian cup and that's when the famous victory at the San Siro against Inter happened.

We had some good victories that season with the addition of the experience and class of Tambling and Birchinell making a big difference.

We were beating teams that had easy victories against us the previous season. We also had win at Old Trafford (1-0 Tambling again) and a 1-1 draw at Anfield.(Gerry Queen)
Oh and how could I forget the classy Peter Wall, who always gets my vote as the best right back we have had.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:56 PM

pap : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepap : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepap : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepap : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepap : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepap : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepap : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepap : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepap : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepap : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepap : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Highest Premier league goal scorer to be relegated? (AJ 04/05)
Old 10-10-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Greenback View Post
The first English team to win at the San Siro? Anglo-Italian Cup, 1971?
Indeed and both teams we played and beat that season Inter and Cagliari were full of players from the Italian team who had played in the 1970 World Cup final the previous summer.

It was not a glamorous competition, but the BBC did show a number of the games and we should never undervalue our victories in the competition that year. We were up against real quality.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Mr Irony

Neckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is hereNeckinger Eagle Sam the man is here
A Palace player appears in the top ten all time international goal scorers ahead of Gerd Muller (OK, it's only Stern John).

A spy played for Palace during the Second World War (OK, I don't care if this is unproven or fiction, I just love the idea of it!)
Old 10-10-2013, 01:07 PM
chubby browns joke writer

strolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is herestrolling bones Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamTheEagle View Post
We were the first team in the league to inflict defeat on Brighton in the AMEX, another one that will never change
And that zaha's last goal for palace was against them !

In an abusive relationship with the cost of living.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:12 PM
So then I says to Mabel

JamTheEagle Sam the man is hereJamTheEagle Sam the man is hereJamTheEagle Sam the man is hereJamTheEagle Sam the man is hereJamTheEagle Sam the man is hereJamTheEagle Sam the man is hereJamTheEagle Sam the man is hereJamTheEagle Sam the man is hereJamTheEagle Sam the man is hereJamTheEagle Sam the man is hereJamTheEagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by strolling bones View Post
And that zaha's last goal for palace was against them !
Old 10-10-2013, 01:16 PM

Lords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian king View Post
Who were Woolwich Arsenal first of all!
In the same mould are Aston Villa and New-castle!
I thought the place Woolwich Arsenal was named becuase there was an Arsenal there?
Old 10-10-2013, 01:18 PM

Lords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietLords Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Oh and how could I forget the classy Peter Wall, who always gets my vote as the best right back we have had.
Thought Wally was left back, could be wrong though.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:22 PM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
I may be wrong, but during the last sojourn to the top flight, Palace knocked the holders Arsenal off the top spot with a 1-1 draw at Selhurst, a position they were never again to reach that season, and a 0-0 draw at Selhurst v Man Utd ruined their chance of a tilt for the title too. The bad news is that this opened the door for the Rentboys to win the title.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:40 PM

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Not a record as such but how long we've now stayed in the top two tiers is incredible for a club of our size.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Lest we forget

Gark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineGark Moldberg : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
We hold the British record for the number of penalties awarded in one game.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:51 PM

GreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is hereGreatGonzo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamTheEagle View Post
We were the first team in the league to inflict defeat on Brighton in the AMEX, another one that will never change
Only team in history to win a play-off match at the AMEX!
Old 10-10-2013, 02:01 PM
Unbannable

Raggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is here
The only team to finish in the last 4 of all 3 major competitions in the same season.

Another one that will almost certainly never be beaten.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Unbannable

Raggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is hereRaggy Sam the man is here
At one point we were in the Guinness Book of World Records for the fastest ever goal - Keith Smith within 6 seconds of KO.

Not sure whether we still hold that one?