Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 04-12-2018, 02:26 PM

BuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARZET EAGLE View Post
He was but only made 9 appearances for Palace in 1991/92 and was loaned out to Newcastle in that season. He cost £550000 from Swindon but was sold back for half that ten months later. I wonder if his original fee was on a sliding scale based on appearances?
Why did we bin off Bodin yet persevere with Lee Sinnott?!
Old 07-12-2018, 03:49 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARZET EAGLE View Post
He was but only made 9 appearances for Palace in 1991/92 and was loaned out to Newcastle in that season. He cost £550000 from Swindon but was sold back for half that ten months later. I wonder if his original fee was on a sliding scale based on appearances?
I'm sure the story at the time was that an extra appearance would have triggered the next instalment in the transfer fee and so (as Coppell's didn't see him as a long term option) he wasn't picked anymore.

As a (part) Welsman, I've never forgiven him for the penalty miss against Romania.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 07-12-2018, 03:58 PM
Adult Member

David of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is here
The signings we made, Bodin, Gabbiadini maybe even to a small extent Mortimer were good players but none of them were suitable for the way we played. Very strange purchases. Bodin played with 3 centre backs behind him for Wales and Swindon and was a very attacking full back. Apart from some very rare occasions that team was playing 442 with Richard Shaw a very defensive left back. Gabbiadini was really good at using his backside, shielding the ball, bringing others in and a very good finisher too. We bought him as a replacement for Wright who wanted the ball over the top or in space to turn defenders. Our purchasing was so strange in this period and ultimately led us to go down over the next couple of seasons. At times it felt like Sir Steve wanted to change the way of play but if he suffered a couple of setbacks doing that we'd go straight back to Coleman up front and get the ball up there quick
The darkest moments of our lives are not to be buried and forgotten, rather they are a memory to be called upon for inspiration to remind us of the unrelenting human spirit and our capacity to overcome the intolerable.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:03 PM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
I remember Bodin, in his short time, being absolute shit for us. Good player but just not in a Palace shirt.

Vision for Bangladesh. Please donate if you can

www.visionforbangladesh.org
Old 07-12-2018, 04:11 PM
Die adler

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledStirling View Post
I remember Bodin, in his short time, being absolute shit for us. Good player but just not in a Palace shirt.
We were direct and fullbacks needed to strong and quick and direct - Bodin was more composed and looking to pass etc.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:13 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by David of Kent View Post
The signings we made, Bodin, Gabbiadini maybe even to a small extent Mortimer were good players but none of them were suitable for the way we played. Very strange purchases. Bodin played with 3 centre backs behind him for Wales and Swindon and was a very attacking full back. Apart from some very rare occasions that team was playing 442 with Richard Shaw a very defensive left back. Gabbiadini was really good at using his backside, shielding the ball, bringing others in and a very good finisher too. We bought him as a replacement for Wright who wanted the ball over the top or in space to turn defenders. Our purchasing was so strange in this period and ultimately led us to go down over the next couple of seasons. At times it felt like Sir Steve wanted to change the way of play but if he suffered a couple of setbacks doing that we'd go straight back to Coleman up front and get the ball up there quick
Good analysis. (I also agree with Pub Idol on Bodin.).

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 07-12-2018, 04:14 PM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub Idol View Post
We were direct and fullbacks needed to strong and quick and direct - Bodin was more composed and looking to pass etc.
I remember seeing him in one game in particular, I forget against who, where even passing a ball 5 five yards was a massive challenge to him. His confidence was shot.

But his career shows that he was a far better player than we got to see.

Vision for Bangladesh. Please donate if you can

www.visionforbangladesh.org
Old 07-12-2018, 04:15 PM
Die adler

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
Lee Sinnot was terrible though. No good words on him.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:26 PM
Old skool BBSer

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
I'm sure the story at the time was that an extra appearance would have triggered the next instalment in the transfer fee and so (as Coppell's didn't see him as a long term option) he wasn't picked anymore.
Thats the story that was in the papers too.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:51 PM
Alright? Not half!

Phil's Barber Sam the man is herePhil's Barber Sam the man is herePhil's Barber Sam the man is herePhil's Barber Sam the man is herePhil's Barber Sam the man is herePhil's Barber Sam the man is herePhil's Barber Sam the man is herePhil's Barber Sam the man is herePhil's Barber Sam the man is herePhil's Barber Sam the man is herePhil's Barber Sam the man is here
Met Paul Bodin a few years ago, was my mate's best man. He was bought in by Noades and presented to an unsuspecting Coppell in a training session. Sir Steve was not impressed and the two of them never hit it off.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:12 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
It's well documented that the deal to bring Bodin to Palace from Swindon stipulated an extra payment after a certain amount of appearances and Noades demanded that he was never selected again rather than triggering the clause in the contract. I'm pretty sure that I've heard Coppell say it himself.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:18 PM
Up the Palace!!!

Latvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is hereLatvian Eagle Sam the man is here
Two more crap / strange signings from that time (reading Stuart Massey reminded me of them) were Martyn O'Connor and Damien Matthew.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:41 PM
GT

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian Eagle View Post
Two more crap / strange signings from that time (reading Stuart Massey reminded me of them) were Martyn O'Connor and Damien Matthew.
Martyn O'Connor forged a decent career for himself after Palace. Think he only played once and Smith put him at full back away to Barnsley? Never really got a look in.
Massey never had the figure or mobility to play at the very top. His main attribute was his distribution/dead ball delivery (and at the time we were very much built around our set plays) He was recommended to Peter Prentice/Coppell by Bill Smith. Went onto Oxford afterwards and helped them win promotion.