Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 24-01-2018, 01:31 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Sure he’ll cover that in the book. From my memory, after being absolutely electric in our promotion season and the beginning of our season in the top flight, as Jim Cannon said, he was hugely inconsistent. But was still a shining light of hope along with Kevin Mabbutt, in a sea of absolute darkness at the time.

I do seem to recall there were always rumours that he’d move on but never seem to happen until Coppell arrived.
Yeah, I specifically remember a 4-0 'out of the blue' home win against Oldham in 82. I think Vince & Mabbs scored twice each.
Old 24-01-2018, 01:47 PM
Call me Ishmael

ebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is hereebyeeckeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereichstuff View Post
“Brown boy on the wing” can’t wait to read it .
Not sure we'd get away with that today My hero as a lad watching Palace (just as Wilf has been for my son). So getting this book. Great interview with him in one of the Palace books on why he left and his memories of Palace. Bit of a limp ending to his career with us really. I'll dig that out tonight.
Old 24-01-2018, 02:00 PM

audreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is hereaudreytatou Sam the man is here
Quote:
“ he’s here he’s there he’s every ******* where “
“Brown boy on the wing” can’t wait to read it .
loved both songs, and, as a brown boy myself,(this song actually meant the world to me as it was at least a tiny step in the right direction as I saw it) loved singing it for Vince
Old 24-01-2018, 02:26 PM

cantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is here
Quote:
“ he’s here he’s there he’s every ******* where “it .

Loved that song so much because it rhymed!!

One of the best performances of his is when we played Middlesbrough with 9 men in a crowd less than 5,000.

He was brilliant causing havoc; winning a penalty which if it hadn’t been given would’ve caused a riot.

5,000 sounded like 20,000
Old 24-01-2018, 02:33 PM
Tunbridge Wells Massive

Dobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is hereDobbo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
Anyone recall how we managed to hold onto him until 84? Why wasn't he part of the great exodus of 81 & 82?

Was it injury? Loss of form?
Probably because his agent was linked to Vegetables.
Old 24-01-2018, 02:36 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanH View Post
I suspect a lot of it will be about his time at Pompey. Mick Quinn's book about those years was hilarious - that team sounded like a complete nightmare (on and off the pitch) with Quinn, Noel Blake, Billy Gilbert, Mick Kennedy, plus Hilaire.
Having him in a Palace shirt on the cover suggests there will be plenty about his time here you would hope. It's only reasonable Pompey would get a chunk as he had a successful spell there. Hopefully it's a good read, some really good footballers autobiographies out there and plenty of terrible ones too
Old 24-01-2018, 02:45 PM

whitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
Lovely memories. Fantastic player and I will certainly be reading this. Wanted to call my youngest son Vince also but wasn't allowed....haha.
Old 24-01-2018, 02:47 PM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantspell View Post

One of the best performances of his is when we played Middlesbrough with 9 men in a crowd less than 5,000.

He was brilliant causing havoc; winning a penalty which if it hadn’t been given would’ve caused a riot.

Remember that game. Was it Mabbutt who got sent off first and then Billy Gilbert went apeshit at the ref & soon followed? Peter Nic scored the pen that Vince one, right?
Old 24-01-2018, 02:50 PM

wrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is herewrightchipvcfc Sam the man is here
Quote:

Good days in the aurthur enclosure by the away fans remember that game
Old 24-01-2018, 04:31 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Hopefully 'interspersed' with some fab photos by my honey, sorry, Hy Money

A book 'signing' is in order methinks
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional Ł65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 24-01-2018, 04:38 PM
Adult Member

David of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is hereDavid of Kent Sam the man is here
Quote:

Remember that game. 7 players and the goalie behind the ball frantically defending (was it Mabbutt and Nicholas that were sent off?) Our tactic was to just give it to Vince and ask him to just take them on and dribble the ball down to the other half whenever he could. He did it so well ultimately in leading toward the penalty.

This was the game around the time we beat Leicester (with Lineker and Smith up front) and drew with West Ham in the FA Cup before going out
The darkest moments of our lives are not to be buried and forgotten, rather they are a memory to be called upon for inspiration to remind us of the unrelenting human spirit and our capacity to overcome the intolerable.
Old 24-01-2018, 05:17 PM

cantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by David of Kent View Post
Remember that game. 7 players and the goalie behind the ball frantically defending (was it Mabbutt and Nicholas that were sent off?) Our tactic was to just give it to Vince and ask him to just take them on and dribble the ball down to the other half whenever he could. He did it so well ultimately in leading toward the penalty.

This was the game around the time we beat Leicester (with Lineker and Smith up front) and drew with West Ham in the FA Cup before going out

Gilbert was sent off Nicholas scored the pen - and yes they were the tactics but he wad brilliant at it that day

Here’s another Vince getting sent off v spurs for pushing the ref over
Old 24-01-2018, 05:23 PM

Joeymaz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoeymaz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoeymaz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoeymaz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoeymaz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoeymaz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoeymaz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoeymaz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoeymaz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoeymaz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoeymaz : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
This has been written by my good friend and bloke I sit next to at Palace, Tom Maslona.
He has put so much hard work and effort into this would be great if everyone bought a copy. Cheers

Winner of the inaugural BBS Ashes Competition
Old 24-01-2018, 08:28 PM

Am Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

What a memorable game that was. 0-0 at 15 mins and two men down and then we went and bleedin' scored - next hour and a quarter or so was amazing and you are so right about the noise. Crowd and team become one to hang on in there and we did!
Old 24-01-2018, 09:15 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
I'm sure he will mention when Terry Venables made him buy Kenny Sansom's Triumph Stag despite the fact he already had one!

(I think that's how the story goes anyway)
Old 24-01-2018, 09:16 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyeeckeagle View Post
Not sure we'd get away with that today My hero as a lad watching Palace (just as Wilf has been for my son). So getting this book. Great interview with him in one of the Palace books on why he left and his memories of Palace. Bit of a limp ending to his career with us really. I'll dig that out tonight.

We probably wouldn't ... but at a Player of the year do a few years back Away Day Eagle and I spoke to Vince about the song and asked him what he thought of it. He said he liked it, first and foremost because he hadn't been in the first team for long and he already had his own song. He went on to say how jealous some of his team mates were - he wouldn't mention any names but they'd been first team regulars for some time.

We laughed about the incident against Spurs when he pushed over the ref and walked straight off though it gave him grief at the time.

Will be looking out for the book - he's a great bloke
Old 24-01-2018, 09:26 PM
Arse end of Nottingham.

henryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is herehenryhallandhisbasque Sam the man is here
In my head it just seems like yesterday when as a teenager, I marvelled at his skills when he first played for Palace in 77/78. Then I realise, he is nearly 60, I'm an old git of 55 with dodgy knees, and 1978 was 40 years ago.
Old 24-01-2018, 09:33 PM

PeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is herePeterH Sam the man is here
Ask him about the book on Facebook.
Old 24-01-2018, 11:29 PM
techno sapiens

the drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is herethe drexciyan Sam the man is here
My original hero. Before Zaha, before Wright, there was Vince on the wing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIMGb0p9hrQ
Old 25-01-2018, 01:40 PM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Phibian View Post
What a memorable game that was. 0-0 at 15 mins and two men down and then we went and bleedin' scored - next hour and a quarter or so was amazing and you are so right about the noise. Crowd and team become one to hang on in there and we did!
Were they sent off that early? My memory has it at the beginning of the second half. Mabbutt had committed two dodgy fouls in very quick succession near the centre circle. Then Gilbert went ape at the ref at sending him off and got his marching orders too. I seem to remember Gilbert just running off and beating Mabbutt down the tunnel.

As the game wore on we knew our only hope was a Vince penalty and he duly obliged. As someone mentioned already, the ref had to give it cos the supporters were going bananas. Nicholas just smashed it into the roof of the net. Great memory.