Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 27-01-2018, 08:50 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfy View Post
I seem to remember that Malcolm Allison was manager of the Boro at the time.
Oh yes of course! He was a really forlorn figure by that stage. His sparkle seemed to have left him. Like a great old boxing champion flogging himself at the end of his career.
Old 27-01-2018, 09:11 AM

cantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is herecantspell Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbs11 View Post
Didn’t Tony Sealy go to QPR too?

Yes
Old 31-01-2018, 08:47 PM

PK1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePK1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePK1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePK1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePK1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePK1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePK1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePK1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePK1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePK1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePK1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
The two saddest days in football for me as a kid were (1) Vince Hilaire leaving Palace and (2) him getting a load of racist abuse at Selhurst when he came back with Pompey. Everyone did it at the time, Palace were no better or worse. Among the happiest days was watching Vince single handedly take apart Leeds Utd circa 1980ish, took on several players then slotted in from a tight angle. Like Wright and Zaha after him, you expected something special whenever he got the ball. Unlike them, he had a certain floating elegance to his style. A bit like Michael Jordan, the top half seemed to stay still as he ran.
Old 31-01-2018, 09:03 PM

Polak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK1 View Post
(2) him getting a load of racist abuse at Selhurst when he came back with Pompey.
Remember him getting sent off in that game. Put their promotion on hold which was amusing
Old 31-01-2018, 09:35 PM

Sick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is hereSick Bucket Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Satellite View Post
OThere was a short documentary about him on ITV in the summer of 1976, also titled Vince - but apart from this short clip, it seems nobody has the full documentary anymore - shame because it is still amongst the most exciting times in our club's history.

Vince will always be a hero to the Palace fans that saw him play, an exhilariting player who seemed destined for greater things than actually materialised, but still great and cherished memories and evocative of one the most enjoyable eras in my time following Palace.

NB - Just realised, the building you can see outside the Palace Boardroom where Vince is signing his first full professional terms - is Lady Edridge School, roughly where the Fanzone and those houses that are in Wooderson Close are sited now.
Cool! Vince was my first and pretty much only idol, I played left wing as a kid.

In that clip Venables mentioned just coming back from Holland, I think that was the first time I saw Palace play I was born in NL (Dads from Thornton Heath), saw Palace play a local semi pro side, Rijnsburger boys. The only thing I remember from the game is Venables shouted 'give the ref some *******
verbals' to one of our players.

Anyway I want the book!
Old 04-02-2018, 06:33 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK1 View Post
The two saddest days in football for me as a kid were (1) Vince Hilaire leaving Palace and (2) him getting a load of racist abuse at Selhurst when he came back with Pompey. Everyone did it at the time, Palace were no better or worse. Among the happiest days was watching Vince single handedly take apart Leeds Utd circa 1980ish, took on several players then slotted in from a tight angle. Like Wright and Zaha after him, you expected something special whenever he got the ball. Unlike them, he had a certain floating elegance to his style. A bit like Michael Jordan, the top half seemed to stay still as he ran.
Didn’t realise Vince was racially abused on his return. . I was at that game and remember the incessant boos he got which saddened me too being my hero and all. I was in the Whitehorse family bit so I guess the more hateful abuse was lost on me. Do remember him being sent off at the end though. Wasn’t it for kicking out at one of our players?
Old 08-02-2018, 11:56 PM

simlaboy is south London and proudsimlaboy is south London and proudsimlaboy is south London and proudsimlaboy is south London and proudsimlaboy is south London and proudsimlaboy is south London and proudsimlaboy is south London and proudsimlaboy is south London and proudsimlaboy is south London and proudsimlaboy is south London and proudsimlaboy is south London and proud
The Thames programme was titled Young ,Gifted and Black , pretty certain
Old 13-02-2018, 12:23 PM

cad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minecad : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Bucket View Post
saw Palace play a local semi pro side, Rijnsburger boys.
Was at that game, a 6-0 win if I recall correctly.
Old 13-02-2018, 12:37 PM
Red with brass buttons

Jordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is hereJordan's Jacket Sam the man is here
He was a brilliant player. My second favourite growing up, after the Smurf
Old 13-02-2018, 01:17 PM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Bucket View Post
Cool! Vince was my first and pretty much only idol, I played left wing as a kid.

In that clip Venables mentioned just coming back from Holland, I think that was the first time I saw Palace play I was born in NL (Dads from Thornton Heath), saw Palace play a local semi pro side, Rijnsburger boys. The only thing I remember from the game is Venables shouted 'give the ref some *******
verbals' to one of our players.

Anyway I want the book!
At one of the matches in Holland, the legendary Wiz, who can still be seen regularly at Palace away games, ran from behind the goal to clear a certain Dave Swindlehurst goal - may have been the same game!
Old 13-02-2018, 03:25 PM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Satellite View Post
At one of the matches in Holland, the legendary Wiz, who can still be seen regularly at Palace away games, ran from behind the goal to clear a certain Dave Swindlehurst goal - may have been the same game!
Eagle Eye mention IIRC that Phil Holder wasn't best pleased as I think winning away by 7 might have been a club record!
Old 28-02-2018, 03:49 PM
Associate member of AWM

Buglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBuglebob came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Phibian View Post
The one and only player ever who could do a whole body clean diving tackle from behind and use his right buttock as a fulcrum and lift himself back up and be flying away with the ball taken from a bemused opponent in 0.55 seconds.
Yep, he was a genius at that particular move. These days of course the player losing the ball would just sit down and wait for the referee to award him a free kick.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:18 PM

big bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is here
[QUOTE=Am Phibian;14073907]The one and only player ever who could do a whole body clean diving tackle from behind and use his right buttock as a fulcrum and lift himself back up and be flying away with the ball taken from a bemused opponent in 0.55 seconds.[/QUOTE)

The best player for performing that maneuver was Peter Taylor.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:57 PM
Chubby Chops balls drop

redandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is hereredandblue Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by David of Kent View Post
Hope not. 7 years compared to 4 years of his career, many more games here, plus he had a dressing room with Sansom, Budgie, Cannon (did he have the same problems Wright had with him), Gerry Francis, crowd of 52k, being top of the league (for a week), the rise and collapse of the club, Malcolm Allison returning, Venables era, Ron coming in.....plus Billy Gilbert!! I'd say a healthy bit on his time at Pompey but an even healthier bit on his time here.
Wright was, is and always will be a cocky **** act like that with old pros you will get grief from old pros, what did he expect when he nutmegged Jim Cannon that he would get a round of applause
"And then when it was all over, a thousand Palace fans stayed on to applaud their side's warm-down and the strains of Glad All Over crashed out across Selhurst. Daft little tune .......brave little team"

Sunday Mail 7/11/2004 after 1-1 with Arsenal
Old 01-03-2018, 09:12 PM

Pikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePikester : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantspell View Post
Loved that song so much because it rhymed!!

One of the best performances of his is when we played Middlesbrough with 9 men in a crowd less than 5,000.

He was brilliant causing havoc; winning a penalty which if it hadn’t been given would’ve caused a riot.

5,000 sounded like 20,000
This is going to be another one of those matches where more people say they were there than officially attended!
I, however, was there.
1978/79 was my first season as a supporter - we went to 15 home games and Vince was sublime. The whole crowd on their toes every time he set off.
Unlike Wilf he was only one of a number of talented individuals. It seems crazy now that he wasn't a shoo-in for Player of The Year but with Sansom, Cannon, Gilbert et al we were an embarrassment of riches.
Great times, Great player. Hope it's a good book.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:13 PM

M3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is here
Apparently 6th March now and looks like the publisher has changed the front cover.
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 02-03-2018, 09:14 PM

M3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is hereM3 Eagle Sam the man is here
Old 03-03-2018, 10:31 AM

22 March now. This is like one of our transfers!!
Old 04-03-2018, 01:41 PM

eltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Eagle View Post
Apparently 6th March now and looks like the publisher has changed the front cover.
To view the link you have to Register or Login
I messaged Vince a few weeks ago and he said that there would be a few different covers depending on the audience - ie a Palace one, a Pompey one etc. I hope that's still the case.

Mind you the England one is pretty special.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:49 PM

Thanks. Really looking forward to getting this, any news on its release?