Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 22-03-2018, 11:01 PM

Odds Against : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOdds Against : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOdds Against : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOdds Against : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOdds Against : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOdds Against : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOdds Against : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOdds Against : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOdds Against : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOdds Against : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOdds Against : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEagle View Post
Forest-Palace replay - the year after we got to the Cup Final.

Seem to remember it being cancelled at least once on the night of the game.
I traveled to Nottingham 5 times in little over 3 weeks -

Replay
2nd replay
Postponed for whilst in pub in Nottingham)
Postponed waterlogged whilst in pub in Nottingham
Also started for a frozen pitch postponement but was not far north of London for this one, before finding out.

As soon as the cup tie concluded we were back for a league match which we won 1-0...

A mate of mine came with us but only made the 0-3 2nd reply and two postponements!!

Last edited by Odds Against; 22-03-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Old 22-03-2018, 11:03 PM

Odds Against : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOdds Against : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOdds Against : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOdds Against : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOdds Against : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOdds Against : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOdds Against : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOdds Against : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOdds Against : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOdds Against : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOdds Against : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
Port Vale and Watford away in very heavy fog (at Port Vale you couldn't see past the halfway line and Palace fans didn't know we'd scored until a player emerged out the fog toward us celebrating!)

Coldest has to be Hartlepool in the FA Cup

Wettest (not abandoned) Chelsea at home in the League Cup, including a puddle on the goal line

Bradford away players sploshing in rain puddles was abandoned at half time!

Hottest? Burnley away opening day (3-2)? Or the game in Turkey
I went to Hartlepool and still think standing at the top of the Holmesdale
NY Day 1980 v Norwich for a 0-0 was the coldest ever.

Hottest - Cincinnati - does that count?
Old 22-03-2018, 11:04 PM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Home to Wimbledon, high winds and horizontal rain. Lost 0-5
The infamous 0-5 has always been a painful memory for me, but I'm pretty sure the weather that day, was bright, sunny and mild (for the time of year).
The high winds and rain was when we played them later in the year, the following season (Boxing Day 85).
Still lost though 1-3.
Old 22-03-2018, 11:12 PM
jft39

west country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is herewest country boy Sam the man is here
I may have misremembered this but I think I was at the front of the Lower Holmesdale sometime in the mid 90s, getting snowed on as Palace lost abjectly to Sheffield United. I was also dreadfully hungover (assuming it happened).
Old 22-03-2018, 11:15 PM
Got any nuts?

Wolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is hereWolfnipplechips Sam the man is here
Does a dodgy stream count?

Apparently there was a lingering smell too. Could be detected in West Wickham.

Cricket wanker.
Old 22-03-2018, 11:41 PM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
Palace at Brighton January 1963. Played on peat at the Goldstone in freezing conditions with Cliff Holton scoring a cracker over their keeper from just inside their half in a 2-1 win. One of only a few games played that day in ''the big freeze''.
Old 22-03-2018, 11:54 PM

Am Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietAm Phibian came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Back in the 70s when we had proper winters every year the holmesdale terrace in -5 degrees, steps frozen, having to move up and down to avoid frostbite on the feet, well it was fer-rucking freezing. Would be a block of ice by the time I walked home.
Old 22-03-2018, 11:57 PM

Le Trapper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLe Trapper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLe Trapper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLe Trapper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLe Trapper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLe Trapper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLe Trapper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLe Trapper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLe Trapper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLe Trapper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLe Trapper : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Cliff Holton... remember him scoring from inside own half away to Watford who had Pat Jennings in goal .
Old 23-03-2018, 01:00 AM

salad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsalad fan club came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I think we played Norwich at home many years ago on New years day in very icy conditions, I think it was 0-0
Old 23-03-2018, 03:07 AM
Veteran

JJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspercpfc View Post
-Hottest was Burnley away on the opening day in 2003.
I don't think I've ever got more sunburnt at a game than at the 0-1 defeat at Swindon in the first leg of the play-off semi final in 1989.
Old 23-03-2018, 03:43 AM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
The most uncomfortably hot match I've been to was the play-off Semi Final at Swindon in 1989. We've probably played on hotter days but so many of us have rarely been packed into such a limited section of terracing in similar conditions. My discomfort was exacerbated by several blokes around us deciding to watch the match topless so you couldn't avoid your arms slapping against their putrid, sunburnt flabby flesh. Yuck.

Coldest I've been was the FA Cup 3rd Round win against Nottingham Forest in 1987. Johnny Metgod played in sheepskin gloves. I wished I'd had a pair. In fact, seeing half of the Forest team in gloves and tights was strangely incongruous given as how Cloughie had made a name for himself railing against so-called southern softies. It was bloody freezing and the Palace team to a man played without gloves, tights or any other accoutrements. If it was a psychological tactic, it worked.
Old 23-03-2018, 04:26 AM

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Hottest for me was Saints away on the opening day of 07/08 season, where we won 4-1
Old 23-03-2018, 07:29 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis View Post
Coldest I've been was the FA Cup 3rd Round win against Nottingham Forest in 1987. Johnny Metgod played in sheepskin gloves. I wished I'd had a pair. In fact, seeing half of the Forest team in gloves and tights was strangely incongruous given as how Cloughie had made a name for himself railing against so-called southern softies. It was bloody freezing and the Palace team to a man played without gloves, tights or any other accoutrements. If it was a psychological tactic, it worked.
Orange ball
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 23-03-2018, 08:18 AM

Jolly Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJolly Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJolly Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJolly Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJolly Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJolly Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJolly Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJolly Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJolly Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJolly Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietJolly Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Remember going to Chelsea away with my dad. I was about ten so was roughly 30 years ago. Standing behind the goal and I believe there was no roof. Pretty sure it was snowing and we were locked in the ground for a good twenty minutes after the match. I think we won, they probably had Dave Bessent in goal.
Old 23-03-2018, 08:38 AM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli28 View Post
Blackpool 2-2, October 2008. Combination or torrential rain and hail on an open stand next to the sea. I didn't have a coat for some reason.

Ah yes, the Gene Kelly stand, I remember it well. Up there with two other horribly wet days standing on open terraces, Arsenal away in November 1970 and Swindon at home 1976 (?).

The worst foggy day has been mentioned - Watford away - but at least the result was positive whereas Crewe at home was an abject 1-3 defeat.

Difficult to pick the coldest - there have been so many at Selhurst Park. One memorable away trip was Middlesbro in February 2012 though that might be as much for the dreadful conditions returning south after the match.
Old 23-03-2018, 08:39 AM

olly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietolly cromwell came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Lincoln City away in the 70s, the game was called off midway through the 1st half (I think) due to a frozen pitch BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Old 23-03-2018, 08:53 AM
Come on you P's

timmy heald : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetimmy heald : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetimmy heald : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetimmy heald : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetimmy heald : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetimmy heald : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetimmy heald : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetimmy heald : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetimmy heald : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetimmy heald : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetimmy heald : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Sunderland away. Weds night in 90s. Roker Park. Snowing, no shelter at away end. Lost 1 nil. Freezing all night. Horrible.

Best fish n chips outside ground though.
Old 23-03-2018, 08:58 AM

Braintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietBraintree Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli28 View Post
Blackpool 2-2, October 2008. Combination or torrential rain and hail on an open stand next to the sea. I didn't have a coat for some reason.
That would be my pick! It would have been impossible to be more wet! But nearly 10 years ago.....wow.
Old 23-03-2018, 09:11 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Plus the League Cup game vs Chelsea when Coleman's shot took an agonising age to finally get through the bog and nestle just over the line. I was proper soaked through when I got home.
Old 23-03-2018, 09:31 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
At that Chelsea game,I stood right against the back wall of the Whitehorse terrace, and actually stayed dry, as the new boxes above had little balcony's!
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013