Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 23-03-2018, 09:36 AM

WLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is hereWLYWLYAWYPWF Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEagle View Post
Forest-Palace replay - the year after we got to the Cup Final.

Seem to remember it being cancelled at least once on the night of the game.
Was up there a couple of times when it got postponed at last minute. Fecking river Trent with it's fog. Was almost in Southampton for a night game in 2007?
Had also just found parking space at Goodison in 2014 when it got called off but at least had a hotel to go back to and sink a few pints that night.
Also a good few home games that were called off at late notice where you had to trust word of mouth down the pub.
Old 23-03-2018, 09:53 AM

fish finger is just too good for youfish finger is just too good for youfish finger is just too good for youfish finger is just too good for youfish finger is just too good for youfish finger is just too good for youfish finger is just too good for youfish finger is just too good for youfish finger is just too good for youfish finger is just too good for youfish finger is just too good for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odds Against View Post
I traveled to Nottingham 5 times in little over 3 weeks -

Replay
2nd replay
Postponed for whilst in pub in Nottingham)
Postponed waterlogged whilst in pub in Nottingham
Also started for a frozen pitch postponement but was not far north of London for this one, before finding out.

As soon as the cup tie concluded we were back for a league match which we won 1-0...

A mate of mine came with us but only made the 0-3 2nd reply and two postponements!!
But you did get to see John Salako score one of Palace's best ever goals...
Old 23-03-2018, 09:56 AM

fish finger is just too good for youfish finger is just too good for youfish finger is just too good for youfish finger is just too good for youfish finger is just too good for youfish finger is just too good for youfish finger is just too good for youfish finger is just too good for youfish finger is just too good for youfish finger is just too good for youfish finger is just too good for you
Millwall away in Fa cup 3rd round in late eighties was coldest I have ever been. It was a draw with a last minute goal. But it snowed next day and kept snowing for days after so the replay kept getting postponed. Which we eventually lost.
Old 23-03-2018, 03:15 PM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Trapper View Post
Cliff Holton... remember him scoring from inside own half away to Watford who had Pat Jennings in goal .
He seemed to make a habit of it, boy could he kick a football. Particularly pleasing against his old club I guess.
Old 23-03-2018, 07:16 PM

Location: Village of Shepherdswell, which is between Dover and Canterbury.
pots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietpots1970 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Oxford away just after christmas in 1984, lost 5 nil and didn't stop snowing, looking back at that period and how awful we were I must have been mad, really puts our current position in to perspective.
Old 23-03-2018, 08:07 PM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odds Against View Post
I traveled to Nottingham 5 times in little over 3 weeks -

Replay
2nd replay
Postponed for whilst in pub in Nottingham)
Postponed waterlogged whilst in pub in Nottingham
Also started for a frozen pitch postponement but was not far north of London for this one, before finding out.

As soon as the cup tie concluded we were back for a league match which we won 1-0...

A mate of mine came with us but only made the 0-3 2nd reply and two postponements!!
I am missing the frozen pitch one living North of London it had been postponed. I got to know the fish and chip shop opposite Trent Bridge cricket ground well.
Been to many of the games mentioned but the one I remember is Swindon away in the mid 70's. Most of the games mentioned you were at least dressed for the weather. The Swindon game was beautiful sunshine shirt sleeve football weather. Forget the score but remember leaving the ground to head to the coach a thunderstorm broke full thunder lighting bouncing around I was soaked through hair dripping ( I had some then it was shoulder length ....... now I am bald) bell bottom jeans that created little puddles as the rain dripped off.
Old 23-03-2018, 08:30 PM
Born in South London

gcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is heregcwhite Sam the man is here
I think the horrible wet Friday night in Cambridge in the FA Cup deserves a mention. Soaked to the skin and held up on the motorway. Magic.
Old 23-03-2018, 08:42 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcwhite View Post
I think the horrible wet Friday night in Cambridge in the FA Cup deserves a mention. Soaked to the skin and held up on the motorway. Magic.
Delayed kick off and a nice pre-match curry just behind the home end. Mullins sent off and R3 played before Christmas for some reason IIRC?
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 23-03-2018, 08:57 PM
Benevolence personified

Vince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is hereVince Hilaire's Afro Sam the man is here
Oldham away, midweek game in the 80s was a bit windy.

Fulham used to get surprisingly cold at times, but my dad used to take me there a lot in the 80s, so not sure if there was a cold Palace game.
Old 23-03-2018, 09:28 PM

Tom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Foggiest I can remember was away at Sheffield United mid/late 80s. We could barely see the goal at the far end. Millwall were at Barnsley that day, not sure if their match was abandoned due to heavy fog?
Old 23-03-2018, 09:46 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
I remember a pre-season friendly at Craven Cottage in the late 80s when there was a truly biblical downpour, soaking us in the (then uncovered) Putney End. It was so bad that the police/stewards opened up the gates and let us all into the stand to our right which was decent of them although the rain was so heavy that it would have been cruel to leave us standing there, getting soaked, dressed in what we'd gone out in to spend a warm August afternoon in.
Old 23-03-2018, 09:49 PM

Selhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is hereSelhurst Celtic Sam the man is here
Bristol Rovers away in the cup 10 years ago when we lost on penalties. Constant rain & compounded by Kuqi missing his penalty.
Old 23-03-2018, 10:59 PM

sylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietsylvan eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
That Chelsea cup game when Coleman barely scored stood on the Holmesdale poured down all night, also when to Barnsley in January it was freezing
Old 23-03-2018, 11:03 PM
GT

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Cambridge away in the FA Cup (Friday night in late 1999) we all got absolutely drenched, and it was also a dire performance
Old 23-03-2018, 11:45 PM

dowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is heredowieslovechild Sam the man is here
Palace v Chelsea, the game where the ball spun in the mud on the goal line. George Ndah scored. I ruined a brand new leather jacket, stood in the Holmesdale in the pouring rain.
Old 24-03-2018, 12:05 AM
Since '67

ozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is here
Arsenal v Palace at highbury circa 72..... It rained the whole day, which has happened plenty of times to plenty of people. Thing that was different about this for me was I was wearing a 3/4 length sheepskin coat that got totally drenched through and dripping which must have weighed about 40kilos at the end of day.... I really struggled to get home.

I've seen at least 5 Melbourne Victory games in above 35C weather one was close to 40C.... now thats a experience and a half. In fact at Adelaide away it only got down to 33C overnight and it was our infamous Black Saturday bush fires.
Old 24-03-2018, 09:09 AM
Keeping The Faith

gold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is heregold76 Sam the man is here
The Chelsea game perhaps the wettest, also a dull 0-0 with Spurs in 95, they gave out free plastic macs

Cold ones, December 1990, about 3000 hardy souls watching us beat Bristol Rovers in the ZDS cup.

The Middlesbrough home game in 94 was freezing

And the recent Newcastle home game, I was shivering and had to borrow Stattos hat

I got badly Sunburnt at Wembley for the Watford game, it was only meant to be 18 degrees!

But the result and after party made up for that!
Old 24-03-2018, 11:34 AM

PS2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPS2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPS2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPS2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPS2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPS2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPS2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPS2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPS2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPS2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPS2 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Away to Halifax in the Third division. Special left from Selhurst Station in heavy rain. It arrived in heavy rain. Still raining by the time I got home, soaked.
Old 24-03-2018, 11:45 AM

Flinty is like ice, their footing does betrayFlinty is like ice, their footing does betrayFlinty is like ice, their footing does betrayFlinty is like ice, their footing does betrayFlinty is like ice, their footing does betrayFlinty is like ice, their footing does betrayFlinty is like ice, their footing does betrayFlinty is like ice, their footing does betrayFlinty is like ice, their footing does betrayFlinty is like ice, their footing does betrayFlinty is like ice, their footing does betray
Chelsea cup game in the pouring rain - never been so soaked. Away to Sheffield Wednesday Easter 10 years or so ago. It started snowing really heavily during the game, Matt Lawrence scored at the far end of the pitch and no-one realised until he'd got halfway back up the pitch celebrating as you couldn't see a thing!
Old 24-03-2018, 11:54 AM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
What year was the Chelsea cup game where we beat them and the ball only just crossed the line?