Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 24-03-2018, 12:50 PM

Big Patch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBig Patch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBig Patch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBig Patch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBig Patch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBig Patch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBig Patch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBig Patch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBig Patch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBig Patch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBig Patch : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyocpfc View Post
What year was the Chelsea cup game where we beat them and the ball only just crossed the line?
Yeah that was horrific. I'm guessing 91-92ish??
Old 24-03-2018, 01:00 PM
::::::::::::

JAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is hereJAS78 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyocpfc View Post
What year was the Chelsea cup game where we beat them and the ball only just crossed the line?
Old 24-03-2018, 01:04 PM

andyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is hereandyocpfc Sam the man is here
That’s the one. Bloody hell, 25 years ago. I remember after the game (I was 16) and some Chelsea adult group pushed me and said ‘you want some’......jeez.
Old 24-03-2018, 01:06 PM

Gollum Sam the man is hereGollum Sam the man is hereGollum Sam the man is hereGollum Sam the man is hereGollum Sam the man is hereGollum Sam the man is hereGollum Sam the man is hereGollum Sam the man is hereGollum Sam the man is hereGollum Sam the man is hereGollum Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by pots1970 View Post
Oxford away just after christmas in 1984, lost 5 nil and didn't stop snowing, looking back at that period and how awful we were I must have been mad, really puts our current position in to perspective.

Dreadful conditions although my recall was driving home in the thickest fog I've ever experienced (but it may have been snow !). Either way, visibility on the motorway was non-existent. a bitt-clenching, nerve-shredding drive.
And we lost 0-5 !
Old 24-03-2018, 02:22 PM

paul skinback : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepaul skinback : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepaul skinback : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepaul skinback : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepaul skinback : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepaul skinback : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepaul skinback : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepaul skinback : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepaul skinback : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepaul skinback : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepaul skinback : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
1980's, Forest away, freezing fog, hard to stay warm or see anything.

Smoke and mirrors should be the motto of our club. Been that way for decades.
Old 25-03-2018, 01:45 PM
Model for Ruddock & Molby

TWOSEAT EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWOSEAT EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWOSEAT EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWOSEAT EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWOSEAT EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWOSEAT EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWOSEAT EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWOSEAT EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWOSEAT EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWOSEAT EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietTWOSEAT EAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Boy View Post
I also had the misfortune of travelling to Everton a few years back with the high wind postponement (which I didn't think was too bad) and the Liverpool home "flashflood" postponement.
A couple of people in Lancashire died that night as a result of trees falling among other things. Mark Gardiner and I actually made it to the ground around 6.30pm (Liverpool is around 40 minutes drive for me) and the police advised the stewards to let us in after some scaffolding and a chimney stack came crashing down behind us just along Bullens Road. When the game was called off we stayed inside the ground for a while and had a chat with the safety officer and Neil Mellor, and the safety officer took us down to the pitch so I could take some photos of the ground for a friend in the US.

Funnily enough, the next day a client of mine told me that he'd seen my photo in the Daily Mail - he found the article (about how the weather had disrupted the days sporting events among other things) and sure enough there was a photo showing myself and Mark inside the ground looking totally fed up witgh a caption that read something like "These few hardy Crystal Palace fans made the 250 mile trip to Goodison, only to see the game called off". We must've been the only chaps in that rag who were not Paedo's, Towie clowns or Nazi's!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FEB 14 (GOODISON - DAILY MAIL PHOTO).jpg (95.5 KB, 53 views)
Old 25-03-2018, 02:43 PM

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
I posted this recently about the Everton game that didn’t happen:

I did the Everton away midweek game that never was, a few years ago. The journey up was absolutely fine, then as we joined the M6 north of Birmingham it was gridlock.

Unlike a lot of Palace who turned around at Stafford and gave up, I decided to drive across country toward Chester... We literally had to turnaround on some roads as big trees were coming down and blocking roads. I remember going down one particular country road that appeared more like driving through someone's farm.

I was driving far too fast in terrible conditions, but the want of going to the game was so strong. We kept our ears on the radio and my mate was on Twitter, and we were fully expecting news to come through of postponement. But the further into the journey we got, we sort of thought that 'well they can't cancel it now...'

Just as we got outside Chester to join the A55, around 7pm I think, the news of course came through that the game had been called off. We turned back and other than stopping for petrol once, I drove the entire way without a break. I think it was 12 hours in all, and it was all for nothing
Old 25-03-2018, 04:32 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
I'd remembered snow and rain and fog but forgotten high winds.

Left London early by train which broke down somewhere en-route, piled onto the next Liverpool bound train and eventually reached Lime Street. The wind was gusting at force 7 or 8 already and it was a struggle to reach the hotel. Looking back it was a miracle reaching Goodison Park, the walk from Kirkdale Station usually takes about 15 minutes but on that night took twice as long. Must have arrived about the same time that chimney pot fell down and it was a relief to get into the ground.

At least Everton had the foresight to open the bar

(And the walk back to Kirkdale wasn't quite so bad ....)
Old 28-03-2018, 07:27 PM
Made in Bromley

monkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Worst I did was Barnsley away, just before Xmas in 1981, there’s no way the game would’ve been played these days!! They shut the vast away terrace because it was thick with snow and because there was only about 50 of us they bunged us in an enclosure with home fans!! Bit scary at first but they were a friendly bunch, helped that they won 2-0 I suppose
Old 28-03-2018, 07:53 PM
Old skool BBSer

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Cambridge away in the cup. Torrential rain for the whole match, on an uncovered terrace....and we were shit.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 28-03-2018, 08:36 PM

norwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietnorwoodeagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidstoned Eagle View Post
Cambridge away in the cup. Torrential rain for the whole match, on an uncovered terrace....and we were shit.
Was that the Friday night game and problems on the M11.
Old 28-03-2018, 08:40 PM
Made in Bromley

monkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom's Old Man View Post
Foggiest I can remember was away at Sheffield United mid/late 80s. We could barely see the goal at the far end. Millwall were at Barnsley that day, not sure if their match was abandoned due to heavy fog?
I was at that one, from what I remember, we couldn’t see the goal at the other end at all.....I think we came away with a point, but we wasn’t sure
Old 28-03-2018, 09:25 PM
Old skool BBSer

Maidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is hereMaidstoned Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by norwoodeagle View Post
Was that the Friday night game and problems on the M11.
Yep. I was so ill with flu after that game.

The BBS - Where Brighton Neggers have imaginary lawyers.
Old 29-03-2018, 12:14 AM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
What was the game where it pissed down all game and we took pity on the away contingent in the corner of the Holmesdale (about 20 of them) and let them in under cover in the Arthur?

Us diehards on the Holmesdale were left to catch pneumonia
Old 29-03-2018, 12:23 AM
Lead Worshipper

Chillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is hereChillo Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by davech View Post
What was the game where it pissed down all game and we took pity on the away contingent in the corner of the Holmesdale (about 20 of them) and let them in under cover in the Arthur?

Us diehards on the Holmesdale were left to catch pneumonia
Had a similar situation at Roker Park in the mid 90's, where the rain was so bad on the terracing that the Sunderland stewards let us sit in the stand on the LHS
Old 29-03-2018, 04:01 PM

New LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is hereNew LP Sam the man is here
Oxford away on New Years Day about 1996. Open terrace, torrential rain and soaked to the skin. I think it was a draw and Dean Windass scores for them.