Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 24-03-2018, 01:05 PM

sheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is heresheepy Sam the man is here
There was a time during the admin season where if Ambrose didn't score you could almost guarantee the opposition would have kept a clean sheet.
Old 24-03-2018, 01:15 PM

cpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is herecpfc4evandeva Sam the man is here
Ambrose is a good shout. 20 goals from midfield - how many Palace players have ever achieved that?
Old 24-03-2018, 01:21 PM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
In my time I would say it is a draw between Jackson and Zaha.

Back in the day, I remember my Dad showing me a newspaper article that waxed lyrical about Jacko and how he appeared to be sent from above to keep Palace up, labelling him a saint. Very recently I heard on the radio Zaha being described as 'our Messi'. Both apt.
Old 24-03-2018, 08:40 PM

exiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is hereexiledeagle Sam the man is here
Peter Taylor - we always struggled when he didn't play - hero of mine as a player not manager
Old 25-03-2018, 10:33 AM

bubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is herebubbs11 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Eagle View Post
Tbf without Wright for most of the second half of the 89/90 season we still stayed up with relative ease.
I was going to post this. Also got to the FA Cup Final without him, bar his 6th round appearance against Cambridge.

No doubt that Wright was the guiding light who took us to heights we could only dream of, and his transfer and subsequent relegation proved how much the team was built around his effervescent spirit; however, when he was out injured or suspended, we coped I felt. Of course not as potent, but not the difference we see today in our side when a certain Mr Zaha is not available.
Old 25-03-2018, 10:53 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Speroni a couple of seasons we were shit in the Championship. Maybe he made his saves over dramatic, but it felt like every game he did at least one wonder save to keep us in it

And Warnock never liked having a sub keeper on the bench so you knew if he was f**ked then that was it for the game.

There was one game at Southampton where he had to go off for stitches (to his head) and Clint Hill had to go in goal for 15 mins and we played with 10 men until he reappeared!
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 25-03-2018, 10:59 AM
COYP!

in-exile has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorking .Eagle View Post
Speroni a couple of seasons we were shit in the Championship. Maybe he made his saves over dramatic, but it felt like every game he did at least one wonder save to keep us in it

And Warnock never liked having a sub keeper on the bench so you knew if he was f**ked then that was it for the game.

There was one game at Southampton where he had to go off for stitches (to his head) and Clint Hill had to go in goal for 15 mins and we played with 10 men until he reappeared!
At about the time Wilf first came into the team Speroni was playing like no keeper I had ever seen at the Palace, 5 or 6 one on one saves that should have been goals in one home game for sure ....
Old 25-03-2018, 11:28 AM

Olympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is hereOlympian2 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold76 View Post
I think it was Swansea home, around April 84, Cannon and Mabbutt 2-0 win, probably in front of about 6000, I think those 2 scored the previous home game too, big men for the occasion
Yeah, and I think maybe the same two scored in an equally important win against Charlton around the same time.
Old 25-03-2018, 11:40 AM
Since '67

ozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is here
Yehp Jackson came to mind for me, Twas just about the best goal keeper in Div one at the time and a different class to everyone else in the team. Single handily kept Palace up IMO. Whilst the other players lacked class they certainly had grit and determination.

John Sewell was probably as good a captain as Popovic it must be said.
Old 25-03-2018, 12:14 PM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
Jacko only missed 2 or 3 games in the whole 4 years we stayed up. Should have played for England many times, was the equal of most, barring maybe Gordon Banks, but because he played for 'unfashionable' Palace he was always overlooked for lesser keepers with more famous teams. A bit like Don Rogers, who deserved his chance at Swindon even before he came to us. Plus ca change, and all that
Old 29-04-2018, 04:57 PM

cranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is here
I think we relied on AJ more at least in the Premier league
Old 29-04-2018, 05:01 PM

cranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is herecranesparkeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Phibian View Post
Er...bottom six and 4,500 crowds in Division 2 pre Ian Wright 1985. Then we signed him. Six years later a 3rd from top finish in Division 1/The Prem and a first FA Cup Final when it was really difficult to achieve Wembley.
A few others came in during the late 80s. Start with Mark Bright. Thomas, Gray etc
Old 29-04-2018, 05:01 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad John View Post
John Stonewall Jackson. Kept us up for three seasons.
Indeed.

Biggest pair of hands. Ever. And a fantastic keeper.
Old 29-04-2018, 08:38 PM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranesparkeagle View Post
I think we relied on AJ more at least in the Premier league
Scored something like 21 out of 41 goals. Next highest was Aki with 4.
Old 29-04-2018, 08:44 PM
Haram!!!!

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
Lombardo. We coasted it when he was playing, after injury were a disaster.
Old 29-04-2018, 08:47 PM

muswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
The big job for the summer is finding a way of making us less reliant on Wilf, whilst at the same time keeping him at the club.

With Roy's knowledge, I am confident on both scores, although I would never begrudge a move for Wilf if that is what he wants.

I hope I am wrong, but don't blame me, I voted remain
Old 29-04-2018, 08:48 PM

CPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is hereCPFC.1990 Sam the man is here
David Hopkin 96/97 literally dragged us to promotion.

Julian Speroni 2009/10 produced amazing displays which stopped us being relegated.

Julian Speroni was won us many points in the Pulis season.
Old 29-04-2018, 08:49 PM

muswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemuswell eagle : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
Lombardo. We coasted it when he was playing, after injury were a disaster.
Lombardo was targeted by the Liverpool players and eventually crocked by Steve Mcmanaman in that match. I'm not sure it was even given as a foul at the time.

I hope I am wrong, but don't blame me, I voted remain
Old 29-04-2018, 11:41 PM

Gazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is hereGazza2 Sam the man is here
Don Rogers when I first started supporting the club. Even as a 6 year old I could see how important he was. Remember a 3 nil defeat at Orient on Boxing Day 1973 and the Dad's with us kids blaming it on Rogers having a quiet game.
Old 30-04-2018, 12:39 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Agree with Jacko and Peter Taylor. John for the obvious as already stated . Taylor was a catalyist he sparked the team. His loss was never more felt than in the Semi against Southampton. Where he was kicked off the park in the first 20 minutes. As soon as he went off I knew we were gone ,and, so we were .But as for Wilf it's yes .