Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 24-04-2018, 02:27 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden Eagle View Post
We actually got a good point at top half Man C, but I remember seeing their boss, at the time, Peter Reid say something like 'no offence to Palace, but we would prefer to travel to local rivals than have to go all the way down to South London, next season'.
Conversely, several years later I remember reading a senior Arsenal player (Tony Adams perhaps?) saying that the Arsenal squad hated travelling up to Oldham and that they would happily have seen us stay up instead. In fact they were disappointed in such a lame capitulation on our part.

I'd totally forgotten about Sheffield United being so involved in the final week too. What I recall most clearly is that the minute I heard that Oldham had won at Villa, I knew our demise was inevitable.
Old 24-04-2018, 02:34 PM

leslie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleslie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleslie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleslie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleslie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleslie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleslie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleslie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleslie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleslie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineleslie : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
One of my mates went to the US the day after the Ipswich game. I got a reversed charges call from somewhere on the West Coast after the Arsenal game. He'd rung his mum and she said "shame about the Palace" to which he replied "wtf" and thought she'd lost her marbles. So he rang me to discover the awful truth. I am still convinced there was a fix and I recall Ron Noades alluded to that later on ? I've been going since the sixties but that one still 'gets me'. To this day I never assume anything until it is mathematically certain. (even then I worry about a points deduction for some transgression or other!)
Old 24-04-2018, 02:42 PM
Champagne Charlie

PC of CP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePC of CP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePC of CP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePC of CP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePC of CP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePC of CP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePC of CP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePC of CP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePC of CP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePC of CP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePC of CP : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourtyTwo View Post
Not sure what caused the trouble - I think in the past it has been hinted it was between sets of Palace fans, but honestly no idea what it was.
Errr, relegation possibly..............

Seriously, must have been harrowing for you, your brother & old man at that age getting separated etc etc. Just another reason to hate our trips to The Library/Emirates.
Old 24-04-2018, 02:44 PM

Polak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietPolak came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis View Post
Conversely, several years later I remember reading a senior Arsenal player (Tony Adams perhaps?) saying that the Arsenal squad hated travelling up to Oldham and that they would happily have seen us stay up instead. In fact they were disappointed in such a lame capitulation on our part.
You could see that during the match when they got out of Geoff's way to let him have a shot but he blazed it over the bar at 1-0 down. George Graham said that he was upset that we went down on MOTD.
Old 24-04-2018, 02:44 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
Quote:
What I recall most clearly is that the minute I heard that Oldham had won at Villa, I knew our demise was inevitable.
Exactly this.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 24-04-2018, 02:49 PM
Haram!!!!

Spindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is hereSpindle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stange555 View Post
I was on a coach going to see my mates band play in Covent Garden. My then girlfriend taunted me the whole way, just whispering "Oldham" at me (the relationship didn't last long after that). I was not in the best of moods and got hammered! the coach broke down on the way home too. Gig wasn't up to much either. Crap day all round.
When you say "didn't last long" I assume you measure this in seconds?
Old 24-04-2018, 03:15 PM
per aspera ad astra!

RAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is hereRAB Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel View Post
Two words said at any time and in any context sends a shudder through me. One is 'Claridge' and the other is 'Oldham'
Quite the 2 worst feelings I have had as a Palace fan.

Couldn't face listening to the last day on the radio (I find that terribly stressful at the best of times) so took the dog for a long walk and came back when it was finished.

Just had to look at my Dad's face when I got in to know what had happened.

The dog made herself scarce pretty quickly.
Reading the posts of what Oldham means to so many, stirs the memories and the highlighted sentence in the above post and what it means to our history along with Wrexham 1977, Stockport and Hillsbro defines for me what it is to support Palace.

I remember that Saturday morning in May 1993 and the fateful Arsenal match at Highbury when Capital Gold played 'Glad All Over'. I took it to be a good omen. For years after I avoided listening to radio stations playing 60s songs on the eve or the day of crucial Palace matches. The spell was broken when I refused to believe in this mumbo jumbo any more and in May 2013 in defiance I played GAO. I won £500 on our promotion!
Old 24-04-2018, 03:18 PM
Probationary User

Euanogu is playing for a contract
Ian Wright kissing the badge on his arsenal shirt right in front of me ! I will never forgive him for that even though he was as a player a unique talent for the eagles ! cant imagine Glenn Murray ever doing that even with the abuse Wright got solely because when he signed for Arsenal he said he would never celebrate scoring against us and promptly did in front of the holmesdale I think in his first or second game for Arsenal
Old 24-04-2018, 03:31 PM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
A couple of other points.

A few weeks before the end of the season, our goal difference was comfortably better than Oldham's, so thought be worth almost an extra point.

Then they beat Wimbledon 6-2 in late March, only for the Dons to stuff us 4-0 at Selhurst (their 'home' game) a couple of weeks later, on Good Friday.

So, an 8 goal difference swing, which ultimately did for us.

And if you look at the final table, 5 of the Top 7 are no longer in the Prem, and City, Chelsea and Spurs were mid table. How things have changed !
Old 24-04-2018, 03:40 PM
Die adler

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
The most gutting four moments in my time as a Palace fan have been:

Losing the Cup Final Replay
Ian Wright leaving
1993 relegation
Losing the Cup Final.
All true - But Claridge and Charlton in 05 up there too - Especially Claridge!
Old 24-04-2018, 03:41 PM
Borderline lunacy

stevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is herestevek Sam the man is here
The final table is amazing. Only 44 points between top and bottom; 10 points between 6th and relegated; Utd winning the league with an average of two points a game etc etc.

Had we only lost 1-0 to Arsenal, we'd have gone down on goals scored.

I cycled to and from every Palace Premier League match, plus four cup games, in 2016-17 to raise money for the wonderful Contact charity, who support families with disabled children.

Read more about it here https://cyclingtheseason.wordpress.com

And read more about Contact here www.contact.org.uk
Old 24-04-2018, 03:44 PM
Die adler

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
re. Coppell and focus -He said in the Palace Echo interview that he was having an affair and lost focus that year . If Neil the Eagle is about he might confirm that - And apologies to Sir Steve if that is wrong.
Old 24-04-2018, 03:46 PM
Die adler

95 was depressing for many reasons but I recall thinking that any team that doesn't score a goal for 9 games deserves to go down. 7 is ok though
Old 24-04-2018, 04:00 PM
They didn't care enough

old git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is hereold git Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gark Moldberg View Post
I celebrated after the Ipswich game. There was no way, absolutely no possible way; that Oldham would beat Villa. A win for them would have kept them a point behind the Mancs. It was an inconceivable result.

By the final game, it was more a case of hoping that Oldham ballsed it up than us managing to save ourselves. The To-ing and fro-ing of the goals in Oldham'game were met with cheers and groans. This was a time when people with radios were keepers of information and false rumours of goals would spread through the crowd. It was a horrible afternoon.

This was my first relegation. It was also the worst.
I didn't even bother watching the villa game as I could see no way that Oldham could win. I went out for the day and when seeing the result I felt a sense of inevitability.
Old 24-04-2018, 04:10 PM
moving forward

art malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is hereart malice Sam the man is here
Quote:
Apparently Merson said as much to McGoldrick as they walked off for half-time
Old 24-04-2018, 04:35 PM

west eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwest eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub Idol View Post
95 was depressing for many reasons but I recall thinking that any team that doesn't score a goal for 9 games deserves to go down. 7 is ok though

Rick newman to the rescue!!
Old 24-04-2018, 04:38 PM

BuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBuktaBoy : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
We pulled some very big wins out of the bag that season despite our eventual drop...I recall listening to the late Bobby Moore singing our praises on Capital Radio after what appeared to be a huge 2-1 win at Ewood Park. Blackburn were spending big then and Chrissy Armstrong and Simon Rodger scored two screamers for us, with Nige saving a rare peno at the other end in spectacular fashion.

The lap of honour did happen, I was there, we all thought Palace were safe until Oldham did Villa away which killed off their title hopes - A massive scalp at the time. There was a complete air of inevitability about our fate after this with Wright always destined to play a starring role.

I agree David James was partly to blame for his shocking goalkeeping in Liverpool's mid-week loss at Boundary Park but I put the blame solely at Ron Noades door for this relegation. The squad was weak, too reliant on talented but inexperienced YTS lads and very stale through two seasons of literally no significant investment post Gabbiadini/Mortimer arrivals.

Having said all this, as much as relegation in '93 hurt, '94 season was sensational and in my lifetime - One of the best. '95 relegation was much more damaging to Palace than this one because the money and profile of English football which started getting a whole lot bigger then..
Old 24-04-2018, 04:39 PM
GT

jaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is herejaspercpfc Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Phibian View Post
Even more galling...look at the team for the Arsenal game. Pretty much the same apart from Wright, Bright and Salako that came third only 24 months earlier. How the fvckity fvck did we drop so much so quickly?

Nigel Martyn
John Humphrey
Eric Young
Richard Shaw
Gareth Southgate
Andy Thorn
Eddie McGoldrick
Simon Rodger
Geoff Thomas
Chris Armstrong
Paul A Williams
For all the love I have for Skip he was pretty awful in 92/93 and struggled for fitness for much of the campaign, coupled with the recent passing of his father.
Southgate was one of the few bright sparks during that season but our midfield was so lightweight since Gray had left in early 92' and we desperately missed Salako.
McGoldrick was probably our best player that campaign and had finally added goals to his game (Remember the Noades 10k bet which he won by October?) Shaw's form was patchy and defensively we shipped too many goals, when defensively we had been so resolute in previous campaigns. Armstrong exceeded all expectations and Williams just didn't get going and had various injuries.
The early season draws never helped us. We drew 8 out of our first 13 games only amassing one win in that period and we had so many injuries that Sir Steve had no option but to introduce some of the youth team (likes of Bowry, Watts, Ndah & co)
Old 24-04-2018, 04:43 PM

dim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is heredim Sam the man is here
Still numb.
Old 24-04-2018, 04:58 PM

CJ PLUM Sam the man is hereCJ PLUM Sam the man is hereCJ PLUM Sam the man is hereCJ PLUM Sam the man is hereCJ PLUM Sam the man is hereCJ PLUM Sam the man is hereCJ PLUM Sam the man is hereCJ PLUM Sam the man is hereCJ PLUM Sam the man is hereCJ PLUM Sam the man is hereCJ PLUM Sam the man is here
Interesting that from that founding season of the Premier League only 9 teams are currently still members whilst only 7 have been ever present.