Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 05-05-2018, 12:49 AM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
Fulham 19th April 1969

As promised.

Fulham, 19th April 1969. Maybe the original promotion party.

Victory here would almost certainly mean promotion to the top division for the first time in our history. A crowd of over 36,000 was expecting a celebration. Fulham had just been relegated for the 2nd season running and were the sacrificial lambs.

But this was Palace..... 2-0 down at HT to goals from two of the most lumbering, overweight players ever to plod around the pitch (Brian Dear and Frank Large) and an appearance from a sadly past-it Johnny Byrne for them had us struggling. Then the come-back. Goals from Steve Kember and Mark Lazarus got us level, and Cliff Jackson drove home the winner. Pandemonium.

All on the pitch at the end, celebrating promotion to the top division for the first time ever in front of the Main Stand. Players stripping off and throwing their kit to the crowd from the Directors' Box. And the icing on the cake - our main promotion rivals, Charlton, had lost at home. Promotion sealed. A magic day.

Who else was there?
Old 05-05-2018, 12:53 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Yep - was there.

I always thought Johnny Byrne actually scored... mind playing tricks.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:58 AM
Shields Utd Futsal Club

Location: Between Jamaica and St Maarten but Sutton for the summer
Timbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is hereTimbo Sam the man is here
Just before my time although I had been to Derby at home earlier that season (I think) with my older brother

Stood on the mud at the back of the Whitehorse end
Old 05-05-2018, 01:10 AM

12bus sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark12bus sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark12bus sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark12bus sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark12bus sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark12bus sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark12bus sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark12bus sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark12bus sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark12bus sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark12bus sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
Stood on the mud on the Whitehorse, got within centimeters of Bobby Woodruff’s sock, and went home with an a totally unrealistic belief of what being a Palace fan was about. Brilliant dat
Old 05-05-2018, 01:36 AM
Since '67

ozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is here
I was at the Millwall (riot at Norwood Junction) one, I was at the Charlton away (Ahoy Palace keep it up) one, I was at the Middlesborough Good Friday game, I was at the Oxford smashed coaches one....... But I bloody missed that one dammit.

I'd only just turned 14 so something must have happened at home.

Last edited by ozzieEagle; 05-05-2018 at 01:39 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:11 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzieEagle View Post
I was at the Millwall (riot at Norwood Junction) one, I was at the Charlton away (Ahoy Palace keep it up) one, I was at the Middlesborough Good Friday game, I was at the Oxford smashed coaches one....... But I bloody missed that one dammit.

I'd only just turned 14 so something must have happened at home.
I was at all of them ,and Fulham . The roof was on the AW and that was all . When the third went in an old wooden crash barrier, yep wood, broke and about 20 of us went down in a heap ,happy days. I can still remember thinking christ we are actually in division one.*

* rumour has it that there was no football in England before the Premier League. But there is an ever decreasing number of witnesses who remember seeing top flight football before this. They worshipped a God called St Donrogers.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:36 PM

palaceboy1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalaceboy1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalaceboy1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalaceboy1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalaceboy1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalaceboy1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalaceboy1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalaceboy1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalaceboy1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalaceboy1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minepalaceboy1 : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Yup was in the Arthur halfway line with my girlfriend (now wife ) sent her home at full time and I stayed on and celebrated .
Old 05-05-2018, 03:53 PM

nibalama Sam the man is herenibalama Sam the man is herenibalama Sam the man is herenibalama Sam the man is herenibalama Sam the man is herenibalama Sam the man is herenibalama Sam the man is herenibalama Sam the man is herenibalama Sam the man is herenibalama Sam the man is herenibalama Sam the man is here
Was in the Whitehorse.I'll never forget that day.Going on the pitch at the end and watching some of the players taking off their shirts and chucking them to our fans. Then checking out the Blackburn away result on the Light Programme the midweek after and then the open top parade and getting a plastic claret and blue hat thrown to me by Colin Taylor on the junction of Bridgstock and London Road.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:21 PM

Lee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by davech View Post
As promised.

Fulham, 19th April 1969. Maybe the original promotion party.

Victory here would almost certainly mean promotion to the top division for the first time in our history. A crowd of over 36,000 was expecting a celebration. Fulham had just been relegated for the 2nd season running and were the sacrificial lambs.

But this was Palace..... 2-0 down at HT to goals from two of the most lumbering, overweight players ever to plod around the pitch (Brian Dear and Frank Large) and an appearance from a sadly past-it Johnny Byrne for them had us struggling. Then the come-back. Goals from Steve Kember and Mark Lazarus got us level, and Cliff Jackson drove home the winner. Pandemonium.

All on the pitch at the end, celebrating promotion to the top division for the first time ever in front of the Main Stand. Players stripping off and throwing their kit to the crowd from the Directors' Box. And the icing on the cake - our main promotion rivals, Charlton, had lost at home. Promotion sealed. A magic day.

Who else was there?
I was and remember fans running on with champagne bottles letting the players drink it. Happy Happy days
Old 05-05-2018, 05:37 PM
Made in Bromley

monkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Haha nice one Dave, the over 60’s thread!!

I’ll leave you old timers to it
Old 05-05-2018, 06:57 PM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post

Old 06-05-2018, 08:24 AM
Legal Imbecile and BBS Prophet of Doom (Semi-Retired)

James Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is hereJames Sam the man is here
This was the match that transformed me from a casual supporter into a dedicated fan. I went along with a girl who I really liked, hoping to cement the relationship, and left realising that I loved this club more than her. I lost sight of her when we all went on to the pitch after the game and didn't see her again.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:36 PM

Pikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post

To view the link you have to Register or Login

Glorious days starting the Palace love affair and that match was one of my favourites on the Holmesdale.
"That’s the problem with these pre-planned celebrations. You can send out the invitations, arrange the play list, tailor the entire occasion for your guest of honour and it can still all fall flat. Crystal Palace are the worst kind of people to invite to share your revelry."
Old 07-05-2018, 10:22 PM
In a nutshell

Percy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is here
love that song every time I hear it transported back to that fantastic promotion run in way back in 69

"Why go to learn the words of fools?" Steve Marriott/Ronnie Lane
Old 07-05-2018, 10:48 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Happy days

Quite a relief after the Good Friday (and early kick off) bore draw with Boro (maybe Pulis was managing Boro even then). We were on the pitch (again) and much later in the Addington Hotel. Hard to believe we were in Division One for the very first time.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:58 PM

Pikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy Dalton View Post
love that song every time I hear it transported back to that fantastic promotion run in way back in 69
Same here, actually sends shivers down my spine thinking about those days, colourful rosette stalls, peanut shells all over the terraces, plastic caps, the claret and blue stripes etc, etc.
"That’s the problem with these pre-planned celebrations. You can send out the invitations, arrange the play list, tailor the entire occasion for your guest of honour and it can still all fall flat. Crystal Palace are the worst kind of people to invite to share your revelry."
Old 07-05-2018, 11:21 PM

Rocky Bullitt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRocky Bullitt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRocky Bullitt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRocky Bullitt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRocky Bullitt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRocky Bullitt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRocky Bullitt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRocky Bullitt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRocky Bullitt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRocky Bullitt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietRocky Bullitt came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Great thread, brings back some memories. Was in the Arthur, can't remember much except for charging onto the pitch at the end and getting within a gnats whisker of John Sewell's shin pad.

Fabulous day. 79 and 89 were both special but, like all young lads, you never forget the first time
Old 08-05-2018, 12:03 AM

spiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietspiny norman came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Remember the Palace goals and running on the pitch at the end going mental! Great memories!
Old 08-05-2018, 12:05 AM
Old and jaded

Finally found it!!!!!

Old 08-05-2018, 12:09 AM
In a nutshell

Percy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikie Punisher View Post
Same here, actually sends shivers down my spine thinking about those days, colourful rosette stalls, peanut shells all over the terraces, plastic caps, the claret and blue stripes etc, etc.

"Why go to learn the words of fools?" Steve Marriott/Ronnie Lane