Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 08-05-2018, 12:11 AM

fire striker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefire striker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefire striker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefire striker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefire striker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefire striker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefire striker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefire striker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefire striker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefire striker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minefire striker : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
My second game following Portsmouth, only 8 and cant really remember the game other than being down 2-0 at half time and eventually winning 3-2.
This memory won me two tickets to Fulham Palace from Radio London about 10 years ago.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:14 AM
In a nutshell

Percy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskin Old Boy View Post
Happy days

Quite a relief after the Good Friday (and early kick off) bore draw with Boro (maybe Pulis was managing Boro even then). We were on the pitch (again) and much later in the Addington Hotel. Hard to believe we were in Division One for the very first time.
Yes 11am and not for Tv either. Pitch was rock hard barely a blade of grass and it was an early Easter heatwave (April 4th if I remember correctly) over 40k who says we are not a big club ! Then next day home again to Pompey another high 30000 gate almost 80000 watched Palace two days running, thankfully admission prices were cheap. Vital 3-1 victory which saw us almost there.

Very heady days indeed

"Why go to learn the words of fools?" Steve Marriott/Ronnie Lane
Old 08-05-2018, 11:00 PM
more senior than you

orpingtoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietorpingtoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietorpingtoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietorpingtoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietorpingtoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietorpingtoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietorpingtoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietorpingtoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietorpingtoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietorpingtoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietorpingtoneagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I was 8 and I was there......don’t remember anything about the game but the rush on the pitch at the end, stood in AW near corner
Old 08-05-2018, 11:46 PM

Archiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
The smell of white horse linament, John Henty, Canadian Pacific, we won 3-2. The only game I ever wore a rosette to.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:04 AM

wighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I was there standing on the Holmesdale terrace near the Arthur Wait side. Fantastic memories. I had a rosette too and my scarf got mangled in the celebrations after the match.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:46 AM

whitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkwhitey52 sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
Great memories. The Arthur was just being built and had nothing but a roof. We all went and stood and sang under there as all sound was lost on the open Holmesdale terrace. A stirring second half comeback on a bonehard pitch which was mostly earth rather than grass. And then we all charged onto it at the final whistle. Happy days......
Old 09-05-2018, 01:50 AM

Louis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is hereLouis Sam the man is here
One question about Selhurst capacity for those that remember this time …

In the late 70s and early 80s when I started supporting Palace, we sometimes got crowds of over 40,000 (obviously the 51,000 v Burnley in 1979 is the record attendance).

The crowd for the Fulham game was 36,000 … was the ground full? If so, what happened to increase the capacity by 15,000 between 1969 and 1979?
Old 09-05-2018, 08:54 AM

old geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is hereold geezer Sam the man is here
Missed that game as my Dad made me take a Saturday job to earn spending money for a Spanish holiday - but what a season
Old 09-05-2018, 09:03 AM

Maiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is hereMaiden Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
One question about Selhurst capacity for those that remember this time …

In the late 70s and early 80s when I started supporting Palace, we sometimes got crowds of over 40,000 (obviously the 51,000 v Burnley in 1979 is the record attendance).

The crowd for the Fulham game was 36,000 … was the ground full? If so, what happened to increase the capacity by 15,000 between 1969 and 1979?
I started going to Selhurst Park the season after (69/70), but whilst unsure of actual capacity at the time, I believe we got 43000 odd for the game Vs M'Boro during the promotion run in ? I think the Arthur Waite stand for being in the process of being constructed at the time.
For our very First game in the top league Vs Man Utd, we got 49000 odd at SP (which I'm sure was the record attendance until the Burnley game)
Old 09-05-2018, 09:10 AM

alf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietalf came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I was there but not sure where I was standing, possibly in the 'Arfer' that day. Went on the pitch at the end.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:45 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden Eagle View Post
I started going to Selhurst Park the season after (69/70), but whilst unsure of actual capacity at the time, I believe we got 43000 odd for the game Vs M'Boro during the promotion run in ? I think the Arthur Waite stand for being in the process of being constructed at the time.
For our very First game in the top league Vs Man Utd, we got 49000 odd at SP (which I'm sure was the record attendance until the Burnley game)
That's correct Maiden. The Man Utd game was the official record until Burnley,which I still think was more than stated But , we always got good crowds back then. In the cup run season we were getting 30k plus against teams like Halifax ,in the third division.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:05 PM

big bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE View Post
That's correct Maiden. The Man Utd game was the official record until Burnley .
No, Chelsea was the official record until the Burnley match. We broke the old record against Man Utd in our first match in Div One and then later on in the season in December we broke it against Chelsea.
As for the Fulham match, the Whitehorse was fairly packed so we ended up watching it from the Old Stand Enclosure. You could walk around the ground in those days. Remember an old boy going on the pitch with his walking stick congratulating Mark Lazurus when he scored and Lazurus helping him off. Also a chunk of slate coming off the roof of the Old Stand and injuring someone. The attendance I thought was very disappointing. It was the biggest match in our history and after getting 40 plus v Boro I would have expected the same. Was there ever any television footage of that match? Another thing that happened that day that wouldn't happen now was that our manager Bert Head wasn't present. He missed our most important match ever( up until then) to get the slow train up to Scotland in order to scout some local talent.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:52 AM
Since '67

ozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE View Post
I was at all of them ,and Fulham . The roof was on the AW and that was all . When the third went in an old wooden crash barrier, yep wood, broke and about 20 of us went down in a heap ,happy days. I can still remember thinking christ we are actually in division one.*

There was another game that you may have been at between that Fulham one and the first Man United game in the 1st Division. That was the pre season friendly at the Sports Center v Arsenal.

One of the few games I saw together with my Father.

God did I plaster Forest Hill/Catford Border with "Palace Div 1" and a silver paint spray
Old 12-05-2018, 08:04 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad John View Post
No, Chelsea was the official record until the Burnley match. We broke the old record against Man Utd in our first match in Div One and then later on in the season in December we broke it against Chelsea.
As for the Fulham match, the Whitehorse was fairly packed so we ended up watching it from the Old Stand Enclosure. You could walk around the ground in those days. Remember an old boy going on the pitch with his walking stick congratulating Mark Lazurus when he scored and Lazurus helping him off. Also a chunk of slate coming off the roof of the Old Stand and injuring someone. The attendance I thought was very disappointing. It was the biggest match in our history and after getting 40 plus v Boro I would have expected the same. Was there ever any television footage of that match? Another thing that happened that day that wouldn't happen now was that our manager Bert Head wasn't present. He missed our most important match ever( up until then) to get the slow train up to Scotland in order to scout some local talent.
Ah you are right John. How can i forget the Chelsea game . Lost 1 -5 and I could not get in as they had a full house and locked the gates. As I had seen them loose at home to Arsenal by the same score earlier in the season ,I can't say I was to upset.
Old 17-05-2018, 05:43 PM
Groundhopper

WestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineWestBerksPalace : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad John View Post
We might have fiddled the gate for tax reasons?
My first game was in 1970, so I wasn't there, but did Fulham bring many? They never were at Selhurst in big numbers over the years, funny club.
Hop till you drop!
Old 24-05-2018, 10:42 PM
Green man

OldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOldPeanutSeller came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Went there with my dad and stood on the Whitehorse. He bought me a claret and blue rosette on the way to the ground. When we were 2-0 down at half time, i took it off and stuffed it as far down into my coat pocket as possible, as I have never worn one before, so it was clearly bringing bad luck. So never mind Kember, Lazarus and Jackson - it was soley because of me that we got promoted. You should all be very grateful.
Old 25-05-2018, 06:55 AM

Bobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I was in the main stand fantastic game and atmosphere I’ve still got the Evening Standard paper from after the match nice memories.
Old 25-05-2018, 09:53 AM

Archiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Here you go Bobby D. Though I think this was Evening News ��
Attached Images
File Type: png 75B24598-ABAB-4B48-B569-F59963C4ADA2.png (650.7 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by Archiebald Leitch; 25-05-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 25-05-2018, 07:07 PM

Bobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I have a copy of both papers here they are...To view the link you have to Register or LoginTo view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 25-05-2018, 07:48 PM

68johnners : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine68johnners : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine68johnners : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine68johnners : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine68johnners : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine68johnners : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine68johnners : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine68johnners : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine68johnners : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine68johnners : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine68johnners : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I was there standing on the Homesdale having moved from the Arthur Wait enclosure earlier in the season while it was under construction.
It looked over at half time then the come back, when the final whistle went everyone just ran on to the pitch and i followed the one and only time i have.
Fantastic day