Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 25-05-2018, 08:38 PM
Probationary User

DBG sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkDBG sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkDBG sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkDBG sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkDBG sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkDBG sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkDBG sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkDBG sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkDBG sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkDBG sings up the sun in a dawn so very darkDBG sings up the sun in a dawn so very dark
I was at the Fulham game with my dad and also at the first game in the top flight v Man U. Recently picked up the programme for the Manu game in a shop for £2!
Palace: John Jackson, Sewell (Capt), Loughlan, Payne, McCormick, Hynd, Kember, Woodruff, Cliff Jackson, Queen, Taylor, Blythe
Man U: Rimmer, Dunne, Burns, Crerand, Foulkes, Sadler, Morgan, Kidd, Charlrton, Law, Best.
Standing on the Holmesdale at half time thinking, blimey, we're 2-0 up against the European Champions. Sadly it didn't last, but we did hold on to a 2-2 draw.

I'm sure there's been lots of threads about this but … anyone remember the lady selling bags of Percy Dalton peanuts in their shells on the Holmesdale Terrace?
Old 25-05-2018, 09:16 PM

tony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
There were changes in the Palace team Hoy played in place of Payne and Lazarus played at 7 was replaced by Tony Taylor later in the second half Woodruff did not feature. Blyth was number 11.The lady was Mrs Mincella. (may have spelt it wrong)
Old 25-05-2018, 10:33 PM
Probationary User

bob Dillon is AJ vs the 'weedbob Dillon is AJ vs the 'weedbob Dillon is AJ vs the 'weedbob Dillon is AJ vs the 'weedbob Dillon is AJ vs the 'weedbob Dillon is AJ vs the 'weedbob Dillon is AJ vs the 'weedbob Dillon is AJ vs the 'weedbob Dillon is AJ vs the 'weedbob Dillon is AJ vs the 'weedbob Dillon is AJ vs the 'weed
Fantastic day. I remember weird bits - one was a fan running on with a bottle of champagne before kick-off. He poured some on the ball and then offered it to Cliff Jackson, who drank some then kicked off. Also, at one point Brian Dear cleared the ball and knocked a bit off the stand that fell and injured some people below.
Old 25-05-2018, 10:40 PM

Lee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is hereLee sinnots ear Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob Dillon View Post
Fantastic day. I remember weird bits - one was a fan running on with a bottle of champagne before kick-off. He poured some on the ball and then offered it to Cliff Jackson, who drank some then kicked off. Also, at one point Brian Dear cleared the ball and knocked a bit off the stand that fell and injured some people below.
Yep my first full season and I also remember what you say above but I also remember Mark Lazarus Gavin a swig or three of the champers
Old 25-05-2018, 10:52 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
See page 88 of Roy Peskett's "The Crystal Palace Story" for a photo of David Payne taking a swig of champagne from a bottle held by Chris Wright. Also a photo on the same page of Steve Kember slotting home the first goal in the second half recovery (with the great Johnny Byrne behind him).
Old 26-05-2018, 03:39 AM

big bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is herebig bad John Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskin Old Boy View Post
See page 88 of Roy Peskett's "The Crystal Palace Story" for a photo of David Payne taking a swig of champagne from a bottle held by Chris Wright. Also a photo on the same page of Steve Kember slotting home the first goal in the second half recovery (with the great Johnny Byrne behind him).
Read or heard somewhere, that when Chris Wright stuck the bottle in Payney's mouth he chipped one of his teeth.
Old 26-05-2018, 08:29 AM
like a shot in the dark

CP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is hereCP Satellite Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikie Punisher View Post
To view the link you have to Register or Login

Glorious days starting the Palace love affair and that match was one of my favourites on the Holmesdale.
April 1969 was about 18 months before my first Palace match in the 1970/71 season - but I certainly remember the music, even as a six year old.

I had to look it up, but ‘Those were the days’, came out in August 1968, probably at the time Palace were handing out a thrashing to Cardiff away, at the start of the season.

No 1 on the day Palace beat Fulham at home, April 19th 1969, was ‘Israelites’ which I think was quite apt as Mark Lazarus scored and Palace came back from the dead.

Apparently, Desmond Dekker, Jamaican by birth - lived in South London for much of his career, later in Addiscombe and spent the remaining years of his life in Thornton Heath.

Last edited by CP Satellite; 26-05-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 26-05-2018, 09:46 AM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad John View Post
Read or heard somewhere, that when Chris Wright stuck the bottle in Payney's mouth he chipped one of his teeth.

That wouldn't surprise me. Chris W was over exuberant at the best of times.

Perhaps Payney of the BBS could ask his dad.
Old 30-05-2018, 09:39 PM

Pikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP Satellite View Post
April 1969 was about 18 months before my first Palace match in the 1970/71 season - but I certainly remember the music, even as a six year old.

I had to look it up, but ‘Those were the days’, came out in August 1968, probably at the time Palace were handing out a thrashing to Cardiff away, at the start of the season.

No 1 on the day Palace beat Fulham at home, April 19th 1969, was ‘Israelites’ which I think was quite apt as Mark Lazarus scored and Palace came back from the dead.

Apparently, Desmond Dekker, Jamaican by birth - lived in South London for much of his career, later in Addiscombe and spent the remaining years of his life in Thornton Heath.
Here's another one that brings that season's feeling flooding back:-

"That’s the problem with these pre-planned celebrations. You can send out the invitations, arrange the play list, tailor the entire occasion for your guest of honour and it can still all fall flat. Crystal Palace are the worst kind of people to invite to share your revelry."
Old 29-07-2018, 04:29 PM
In a nutshell

Percy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is herePercy Dalton Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony 1947 View Post
There were changes in the Palace team Hoy played in place of Payne and Lazarus played at 7 was replaced by Tony Taylor later in the second half Woodruff did not feature. Blyth was number 11.The lady was Mrs Mincella. (may have spelt it wrong)
Both Roger Hoy and as already mentioned David Payne played in the game. Poor Bobby Woodruff was out with a broken collar bone he sustained during the 1-1 draw at home to Oxford an evening game part of the promotion run in. From what I recall Oxford were a very physical team and did not deserve the point. Thought Bobby's injury may have damaged our promotion bid, but in reality nothing was going to stop us we were a team on fire.

Was the last game my Dad and I ever stood in the old stand enclosure, not sure why 50 years on we did that night as we normally stood on the Holmesdale?

When the players did their strip in the directors box after the game in front of the thousands on the pitch, the fans called for Bobby to appear which he did, a great favourite with fans back then. Quality centre forward who would ensure you 15 plus goals every season and his long throw was a great weapon.

"Why go to learn the words of fools?" Steve Marriott/Ronnie Lane
Old 30-07-2018, 10:46 AM

eltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dieteltron came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskin Old Boy View Post

That wouldn't surprise me. Chris W was over exuberant at the best of times.

Perhaps Payney of the BBS could ask his dad.
I can confirm that David Payne did have his tooth chipped.

He mentioned it in an interview in that excellent book Palace Heroes and Legends by BBD.
Old 30-07-2018, 02:30 PM

jhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is here
Was in what is now the AW stand, and remember running across the pitch at the final whistle. Not acceptable these days, but perfectly innocent exuberance back then. I remember the disbelief at half time when we were 0-2 down, but once we got our first early in the second, the result was never in doubt. Great day to be a Palace fan.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:23 AM

tony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
For those interested please find 'Advertiser' report of the Fulham game.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IMG_20180801_0001.pdf (1.94 MB, 81 views)
Old 01-08-2018, 10:35 AM

BERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is hereBERT'S HEAD Sam the man is here
Quote:
Cheers Tony, brings back some great memories
Old 01-08-2018, 10:41 AM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
Quote:
Thanks for that, Tony
Old 01-08-2018, 11:27 AM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Thanks for sharing Tony, have some rep
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 02-08-2018, 11:24 PM

ian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Sat in the main stand with my mother (who had gone to SP with her brother in the '30s and remembered Peter Simpson). Along with all the other memories posted that resonate with the afternoon was a radio interview with Mark Lazarus afterwards when he said "We're all goin' potty down 'ere" - sums it up!
Old 16-10-2019, 10:57 PM

plumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietplumey1969 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet

Wonder if the fan on the left is a regular on here or if anyone knows/knew him ?.

Lots of other classic photos from the era available to view on the link below.

Old 16-10-2019, 11:08 PM
Golden Oldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumey1969 View Post

Wonder if the fan on the left is a regular on here or if anyone knows/knew him ?.

Yes, that's the aforementioned Chris Wright.

A tooth was chipped in that incident.

And a good view of the part built Arthur Wait stand.
Old 17-10-2019, 04:27 PM

Hal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietHal Low came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumey1969 View Post

Some great pictures in there. What is it about B&W pics that makes them so great