Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 22-05-2018, 06:21 PM

jhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is herejhc Sam the man is here
I can only echo what others have said. He was certainly a key player in that 68/69 promotion season. I have very happy memories of those times too.
Very sad news indeed

Condolences to his friends & family.
Old 22-05-2018, 06:43 PM

desperado Sam the man is heredesperado Sam the man is heredesperado Sam the man is heredesperado Sam the man is heredesperado Sam the man is heredesperado Sam the man is heredesperado Sam the man is heredesperado Sam the man is heredesperado Sam the man is heredesperado Sam the man is heredesperado Sam the man is here
Cliff was part of Bert Head's young side at Swindon

When Bert Head became manager he brought Bobby Woodruff and Cliff Jackson who played for him at Swindon to the club

After a couple of seasons playing as the archetypal blue-arsed fly winger Bert Head converted him to a central striker role in 1968-69 season. Scored twice in a 4-0 win at Cardiff in the first game and went on to be leading scorer in the promotion season. Scored five times in our first season in Division One

RIP Cliff, you will never be forgotten
It is five!
Old 22-05-2018, 06:45 PM
Old and jaded

davech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is heredavech Sam the man is here
RIP Cliff. Sad news.

I remember your goals and 'gladiator salute' celebration well. And the decisive goal in that promotion game v Fulham. Happy memories.

Condolences and good wishes to family and friends.
Old 22-05-2018, 06:50 PM

Braders Sam the man is hereBraders Sam the man is hereBraders Sam the man is hereBraders Sam the man is hereBraders Sam the man is hereBraders Sam the man is hereBraders Sam the man is hereBraders Sam the man is hereBraders Sam the man is hereBraders Sam the man is hereBraders Sam the man is here
RIP. Cliff
Old 22-05-2018, 06:52 PM

SE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is hereSE25 exile Sam the man is here
I remember seeing Cliff regularly as a winger and that was until Bert Head decided to try him in a central role as a striker, and he was great at knocking them in. He found a new raison d'etre as a result.
Old 22-05-2018, 07:19 PM

StevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineStevePlus : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Off to the great subs' bench in the sky, with John McCormick and Colin Taylor from the 68/69 promotion year.

My best memory is Bert Head sticking him up front against Jack Charlton v Leeds in the league cup. He ran rings around Jack and I think scored as well. Remember Cliff was a slight 5 foot 9 inches, so we had to play the ball on the ground the whole game.

Thanks for the memories Cliff.
Old 22-05-2018, 07:35 PM
Wondering why it matters!

Martin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is hereMartin H Sam the man is here
RIP - great player. That photo brought back some memories too as it was on my wall as a young'un. At the time he joined my family moved up to Leicestershire but I was completely hooked by then and had to weather the storm as the only Palace fan at school etc. and TBH the only Palace fans I met were family or at the ground. Not sure that changed an awful lot over the years and I probably met more palace fans while living in NYC than I did up in Leicester and then later, near Sheffield and then Leeds.
Old 22-05-2018, 07:45 PM

Old Bill came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOld Bill came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOld Bill came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOld Bill came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOld Bill came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOld Bill came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOld Bill came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOld Bill came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOld Bill came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOld Bill came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietOld Bill came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE25 exile View Post
I remember seeing Cliff regularly as a winger and that was until Bert Head decided to try him in a central role as a striker, and he was great at knocking them in. He found a new raison d'etre as a result.
Yes, exactly as I remember it. He was a very subtle and classy player, and a very important part of the team that won promotion in 1968/69. RIP.
Old 22-05-2018, 09:11 PM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Herts Eagle View Post
Seeing what he went through 11 years ago shows what a man he was battling through it until now. Rest in Peace.
Not just one of the team that got us to the First Division for the very first time he was the top scorer that season. One of Bert Heads youngsters having him at Swindon before joining us. Played the first season in the top flight but be it through injuries catching up it was a step to far but that should not ever lessen the contribution he made to our history. The gladiator salute when he scored I guess I was not the only one to copy it on the school playing field. Condolences to a his family and friends.
Like me you have happy memories of Cliff, who was underated in my opinion.
Condolances to all his extended family.
Old 22-05-2018, 09:12 PM

Pikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is herePikie Punisher Sam the man is here
My first Palace hero, I was always first to be him when we played footie up the park.

Very sad news , RIP Cliff.
"That’s the problem with these pre-planned celebrations. You can send out the invitations, arrange the play list, tailor the entire occasion for your guest of honour and it can still all fall flat. Crystal Palace are the worst kind of people to invite to share your revelry."
Old 22-05-2018, 09:48 PM

Sleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is hereSleeping Giant Sam the man is here
One of his finest contributions, expertly winning the pen at Old Trafford that ultimately got us a famous draw. He caught my eye when I saw this, the cheek of waltzing into Best , Law & Charltonville with that kind of confidence. Was surprised to note how he slipped away a bit in the game not long afterwards albeit at that age. RIP sir. (at @1:53)

Old 22-05-2018, 10:19 PM

Mister Parks : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMister Parks : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMister Parks : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMister Parks : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMister Parks : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMister Parks : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMister Parks : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMister Parks : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMister Parks : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMister Parks : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMister Parks : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
As a 15 year old, Cardiff away and the 4-0 victory was my first away game as my Dad said he would treat me to a few away games as I didn't go on the family holiday that year. Met his daughter about 15 years ago and she said Cliff was enjoying life in SpaIn during his retirement. Cliff was the business up front that season.A sad time for the family, RIP.
Old 23-05-2018, 12:11 AM

wighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
My first Palace hero. RIP Cliff your place in Palace history will never be forgotten.
Old 23-05-2018, 12:12 AM

wighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Double post
Old 23-05-2018, 12:21 AM

Swoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietSwoonara came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
I remember a tough match against Boro, nil nil I think, on the good Friday and him scoring in the 3-1 win over Pompey the next day. It’s the only time I can ever recall us playing two days on the trot, Steve Kember got one of the others.
Old 23-05-2018, 01:28 AM

Ockleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineOckleywood : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Cliff Jackson

Always be grateful to him for throwing his shirt in my direction after the Fulham game which fortunately I was able to catch. Years later I got a chance to thank him personally for the shirt and got him to sign it.

Still got the shirt -priceless

RIP Cliff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020547.JPG (1.49 MB, 41 views)
Old 23-05-2018, 01:37 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockleywood View Post
Always be grateful to him for throwing his shirt in my direction after the Fulham game which fortunately I was able to catch. Years later I got a chance to thank him personally for the shirt and got him to sign it.

Still got the shirt -priceless

RIP Cliff
That's fantastic! You are a lucky man.

As like many posting on this thread, he scored on my first Palace game also (2-2 with Portsmouth around Christmas 1967 or 68).
Old 23-05-2018, 02:54 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Sad news . His golden period was that promotion season when Bert converted him to a central attacker. His goals were the lynch pin of that push.

I have to speak to my mate in the UK who had a dislike of Cliff as a kid.This was due to the days when you could invade the pitch at the final whistle.Turns out the ref blows for a free kick close to time . Everyone runs on , my mate up to Cliff who tells him to "Get off the bloody pitch ,the games not over" Not sure if he carried the grudge into man hood and old age.

Anyway RIP Cliff. You helped make the dream come true for a spotty teenager.
Old 23-05-2018, 06:31 PM

ian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping Giant View Post
One of his finest contributions, expertly winning the pen at Old Trafford that ultimately got us a famous draw.
Ian Ure mis-headed the ball to Cliff as Palace cleared another Man U attack(one of John Jackson's finest hours) and off he went. Alex Stepney brought him down in penalty area (long before red cards) and John Sewell's penalty kick was parried by Stepney back to John who scrambled it home. Please tell me if my memory is wrong here!
Old 23-05-2018, 06:54 PM

French Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is hereFrench Eagle Sam the man is here
As others have said, Cliff was a classy player not your usual n° 9 at the time. 68/69 promotion season he was a stand out player; RIP Cliff you'll never be forgotten.