Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 13-08-2018, 05:55 AM
Reformed Alcoholic!!

Location: Just off Pippins Bridge, very near to the town of Biffon!
Glaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGlaws Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
On This Day .... 13 August 1977

Brentford Away - League Cup 1st Round - 1st Leg

Lost 2-1

Ridiculous isn't it … I cant remember to put the bins out in the morning, but I can remember, as a 17 year old, details of a league cup game 41 years ago.

Hot, sunny day … I went to wrong train station … South Ealing … and had to walk what seemed like miles.

Crowd violence in the shape of "Chelsea Punks" appearing on the covered End terrace.

Anybody else got any recollection?

A week later I went to Millwall and watched a sublime 3-0 win.
Drebin, posing as a locksmith, enters a man's office and is greeted by the resident with …. "Who are you and how did you get in here?" to which Drebin replies, "I'm a locksmith ... and I'm a locksmith."
Old 13-08-2018, 08:42 AM

jjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is here
Recollections? Yes, arrested!
Old 13-08-2018, 12:58 PM

trent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetrent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetrent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetrent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetrent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetrent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetrent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetrent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetrent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetrent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetrent : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Was at both those games.
Brentford was great fun . Not sure it was a league cup game . It was a Saturday. Wasn’t it s friendly ????
Old 13-08-2018, 02:22 PM

dave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is heredave_who_ru Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by trent View Post
Was at both those games.
Brentford was great fun . Not sure it was a league cup game . It was a Saturday. Wasn’t it s friendly ????
It was the League Cup. We won the return leg 5-1

I went with my brother and we took our youngest brother to his first Palace game. We ended up pushing him down against the perimeter fence and standing over him as the marauding herd charged past us. It was a hot day!

Standing on the Cold Blow Lane end the following week was just as much fun although we didn't start celebrating until we were back in the car and heading down the Old Kent Road.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred. (C.P. Scott)
Old 13-08-2018, 02:26 PM

jjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is herejjeagle Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by trent View Post
Was at both those games.
Definitely the league cup. We won the second leg 5-0/5-1?? In other news, l got fined fifty quid.
Old 13-08-2018, 02:41 PM
Made in Bromley

monkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietmonkey came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaws Eagle View Post

Ridiculous isn't it … I cant remember to put the bins out in the morning, but I can remember, as a 17 year old, details of a league cup game 41 years ago.
Haha, Glad I’m not the only one, drives my mrs mad, I can remember everything about Wrexham, Carlisle or Shrewsbury away in 1981 etc, but I can’t remember what I had for dinner the day before!!
Old 17-08-2018, 01:08 PM

Paxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_who_ru View Post
It was the League Cup. We won the return leg 5-1
I seem to remember that the return leg was the night Elvis died.

The big news story on the day of the first leg was the NF march in Lewisham. Didn't some of the turnstiles at Brentford get ransacked and the gate money nicked?

In all my time of supporting CPFC, these are the only two competitive fixtures against Brentford. Remarkable when you consider the number of times we must have played each other in the old D3 (South).

Last edited by Paxton; 17-08-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 17-08-2018, 01:18 PM

Paxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePaxton : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton View Post
In all my time of supporting CPFC, these are the only two competitive fixtures against Brentford.
By competitive, I mean League, FA Cup or League Cup. There was the odd minor cup game in the 80s.
Old 17-08-2018, 01:23 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton View Post
The big news story on the day of the first leg was the NF march in Lewisham. Didn't some of the turnstiles at Brentford get ransacked and the gate money nicked?
The To view the link you have to Register or Login

To view the link you have to Register or Login

56 policemen injured, 11 of them hospitalized. Can you imagine the reaction if that happened today?
Old 17-08-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwissAtMemphis View Post

56 policemen injured, 11 of them hospitalized. Can you imagine the reaction if that happened today?
Well done for sharing the links, Elwiss - I guess plenty of people will never even have heard of it.
Old 17-08-2018, 10:03 PM

Archiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietArchiebald Leitch came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
My memory thinks it was a friendly too. Can’t remember much about the game, do remember punch ups and the light bulbs being lobbed out the train windows at some punks standing on a platform
Old 17-08-2018, 10:14 PM
Account disabled

racehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietracehorse-80s came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
League cup and yes the turnstiles were robbed , I also believe the fantastic Rachid Harkouk played from hazy memory .
Old 17-08-2018, 10:35 PM

Nth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is hereNth Kent Eagle Sam the man is here
That was a day and a half. Yes, it was the league cup and a Saturday.
Old 19-08-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse-80s View Post
League cup and yes the turnstiles were robbed , I also believe the fantastic Rachid Harkouk played from hazy memory .
Rach-iiiiiiiiiiiiiiid!!
Old 24-08-2018, 12:52 AM

Location: currently on steep hill overlooking Hastings and the sea
DocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaws Eagle View Post
Brentford Away - League Cup 1st Round - 1st Leg

Lost 2-1

Hot, sunny day … I went to wrong train station … South Ealing … and had to walk what seemed like miles.

Crowd violence in the shape of "Chelsea Punks" appearing on the covered End terrace.

Anybody else got any recollection?

A week later I went to Millwall and watched a sublime 3-0 win.
brentford gate money got hijacked>?
Old 25-08-2018, 12:23 AM
Glazed All Over

CriticalEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCriticalEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCriticalEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCriticalEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCriticalEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCriticalEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCriticalEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCriticalEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCriticalEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCriticalEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietCriticalEagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
How did we even lose the 1st leg with this line-up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brentford-2-1-cpfc-lineups-1977-lc.jpg (17.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg palace-77-78-squad.jpg (24.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 25-08-2018, 03:39 AM

Location: currently on steep hill overlooking Hastings and the sea
DocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietDocSavage came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:

i was at millwall that day with some millwall (and palace) mates i was always impressed (intimidated) back then by the large number of (very large) black fans millwall had (led by tiny black - who was very dark but far from tiny) at the end of the match the crowd split into 2 to support different sides in the NF march - I went home for supper but studying political science for my degree used this as part of my thesis (very handy thank you)
Old 28-08-2018, 01:30 PM

ElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is hereElwissAtMemphis Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalEagle View Post
How did we even lose the 1st leg with this line-up
Bloody hell. Andy McCulloch played for Brentford in that match. Now there was an archetypal terrible mid-80s Palace striker. Looking him up, he was pretty prolific for Brentford (47 goals in 128 games) before going to Sheffield Wednesday where he did almost as well. He was bloody awful for us. Does anyone know if he scored in that match?
Old 28-08-2018, 09:54 PM

Tom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineTom's Old Man : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Bloody hell. Andy McCulloch played for Brentford in that match. Now there was an archetypal terrible mid-80s Palace striker. Looking him up, he was pretty prolific for Brentford (47 goals in 128 games) before going to Sheffield Wednesday where he did almost as well. He was bloody awful for us. Does anyone know if he scored in that match?
He was proper dog shit for Palace. He certainly scored v West Ham in the FA Cup in 1984, and I think also at Millwall in the cup the following season. Didn't get many though.