Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 04-12-2018, 01:21 PM

barnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minebarnabas : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Crystal Palace v Oldham 1960/61

Worth its own thread.
To view the link you have to Register or Login
Old 04-12-2018, 01:31 PM
Watching Paint Dry

WorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is hereWorthingEagle Sam the man is here
I was thinking classic Palace when that last minute penalty was awarded...
Old 04-12-2018, 03:36 PM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Thanks not seen this before seeing such great names in action made my day
Old 04-12-2018, 05:33 PM

Marshian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMarshian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMarshian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMarshian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMarshian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMarshian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMarshian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMarshian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMarshian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMarshian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineMarshian : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Never seen Johnny Byrne footage before, great stuff
Old 05-12-2018, 06:24 PM

Keenstonian belongs to OllieKeenstonian belongs to OllieKeenstonian belongs to OllieKeenstonian belongs to OllieKeenstonian belongs to OllieKeenstonian belongs to OllieKeenstonian belongs to OllieKeenstonian belongs to OllieKeenstonian belongs to OllieKeenstonian belongs to OllieKeenstonian belongs to Ollie
Anyone have a guess at the lineup? Most of the names I recognised but not all.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:31 AM

tony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diettony 1947 came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Thank you for putting this game up ! I remember it one of my first games, Palace lost to Millwall home the previous day in front of a record crowd. Please see report of the Oldham game.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf v Oldham 61.pdf (1.64 MB, 75 views)
Old 06-12-2018, 11:36 AM
Selhurstian

EagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is hereEagleSE24 Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony 1947 View Post
Thank you for putting this game up ! I remember it one of my first games, Palace lost to Millwall home the previous day in front of a record crowd. Please see report of the Oldham game.
That's great. Thanks for posting. I love that ratings have been around for so long.

Interesting that they referred to the game as 'soccer'. My granddad, born 1923, always called it soccer too, which is why I have no issue with the term and get a little bemused when people aggressively insist we say 'football'.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:42 AM

Baffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is hereBaffled Bob 2 Sam the man is here
OP repped. What a find.

Don't think I've ever seen Byrne play for Palace. I certainly didn't live.

My old dad (RIP) used to bang on about how great he was. But he loved Stan Collymore too.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:20 PM

Rob Harmer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRob Harmer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRob Harmer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRob Harmer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRob Harmer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRob Harmer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRob Harmer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRob Harmer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRob Harmer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRob Harmer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineRob Harmer : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Johnny Byrne what a player. I remember skipping school to go to Wembley to watch his scheduled England debut. Between the team being announced and the game Johnny picked up an injury and didn't play!! As for the soccer v football debate, I was born in Cardiff and it was always referred to as soccer, rugby was football
Old 06-12-2018, 03:32 PM

Danny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is hereDanny_Cheviot Sam the man is here
Innocent days indeed.

You can run onto the pitch and celebrate with the players without receiving a court appearance.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:59 PM
Collecting Palace tat

Dorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is hereDorking .Eagle Sam the man is here
Just brilliant, the 3 sides of grass banks, the ball that plays like a medicine ball, the rotten pitch, Summersby and Byrne, and all the boys invading the pitch after a goal! Amazing stuff, right up there with the footage of that game at The Nest that turned up a year ago!
"Crystal Palace is cult viewing, like a late night TV show that only a few people know about, like a precious record that was never number one but makes everybody who knows it want to dance and sing… and sometimes cry." Tony, 3-7-2001

"Well, as I said before, we are only 6 points behind 4th from bottom with the prize of an additional £65 million (minimum) if we stay up. So, we'd be bonkers if that wasn't the top priority. Nobody's giving up on staying in this league." CPFC2010, 5-11-2013
Old 06-12-2018, 09:11 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Really was almost a different sport back then.

Defo red card for the Palace player at the end there! Nobody batted an eyelid! Imagine doing that today - he would be hung and quartered.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:12 AM

DARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is hereDARZET EAGLE Sam the man is here
Fabulous treat, for me it was just like yesterday with my Palace heroes. We had some very decent players in that team, particularly with Vic Rouse in goal, Roy Summersby and of course the great Johnny Byrne.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:22 AM

KYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietKYLIE MINEAGLE came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
There would be premier league sides would kill for a crowd like that,and it was Div 4. Flat hats, cigarettes and rattles. Blokes scoring goals and getting on with instead of making stupid signs or pre rehearsed dance routines. Wonder what would happen if you brought a rattle into a game today.
Old 19-12-2018, 12:06 AM
For ancient football

Granada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGranada allover came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
What a find! Byrne in his pomp. I started watching in March 63, just after the great man was sold to West Ham. Such was the hysteria that 11000 turned up for his first game back, a friendly against Leicester I think in 1967. I can still see him standing on the centre circle about to kick off and thinking - it's really him. Though it really wasn't, even though, for months, we willed him to put in a performance like this one against Oldham. They always said, in his heyday, he was one step ahead of his team-mates and you can see it here. Great balance, will o' the wisp turns and a thunderous shot, on a glue-pot of a pitch. Leaves you misty-eyed.

Last edited by Granada allover; 19-12-2018 at 12:21 AM.
Old 26-12-2018, 10:46 PM
I DON'T look like SJ

Jim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is hereJim Cannon Sam the man is here
Love that missed pen
Old 28-12-2018, 03:55 PM
23 years for 6174 posts

ee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o Sam the man is hereee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o Sam the man is hereee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o Sam the man is hereee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o Sam the man is hereee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o Sam the man is hereee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o Sam the man is hereee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o Sam the man is hereee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o Sam the man is hereee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o Sam the man is hereee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o Sam the man is hereee-ay-ee-ay-ee-ay-o Sam the man is here
Great stuff.

Was lucky enough to see JB play live. Wasn't there for this one though.

It took me a while to work out the camera view...of course its before the Arfur Waite cover was errected.
Old 29-12-2018, 01:15 AM

ian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietian king came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLIE MINEAGLE View Post
Wonder what would happen if you brought a rattle into a game today.
Brilliant bit of archive film, showed it to my nephew and niece, both die hard Palace fans, to let them see as it was and Johnny Byrne.

At the Cardiff game on Boxing Day there was an elderly lady with family in the Glaziers Lounge who produced an old wooden rattle (I think in Palace colours) from her bag!
Old 29-12-2018, 11:58 AM

modernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemodernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemodernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemodernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemodernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemodernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemodernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemodernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemodernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemodernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minemodernsouler : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Johnny Byrne looked world class from that.

Anyone notice the Disabled section, What a great view back then.
Old 29-12-2018, 12:11 PM

ExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is hereExiledStirling Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granada allover View Post
What a find! Byrne in his pomp. I started watching in March 63, just after the great man was sold to West Ham. Such was the hysteria that 11000 turned up for his first game back, a friendly against Leicester I think in 1967. I can still see him standing on the centre circle about to kick off and thinking - it's really him. Though it really wasn't, even though, for months, we willed him to put in a performance like this one against Oldham. They always said, in his heyday, he was one step ahead of his team-mates and you can see it here. Great balance, will o' the wisp turns and a thunderous shot, on a glue-pot of a pitch. Leaves you misty-eyed.
In the days when players could be found in pubs before a game, a good mate of mine, as a 16/17 old went up to Bryne during his second spell, as he supped a pint, and told him in no uncertain terms that he was shit. They arranged to meet outside the ground after the game. My mate turned up , Bryne did not.

Vision for Bangladesh. Please donate if you can

www.visionforbangladesh.org