Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 02-01-2003, 11:24 AM

Mal Come Ally Son Mal Come Ally Son Mal Come Ally Son Mal Come Ally Son Mal Come Ally Son Mal Come Ally Son Mal Come Ally Son Mal Come Ally Son Mal Come Ally Son Mal Come Ally Son Mal Come Ally Son
Quote:
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy
Left to right:

Back row: Thorup,

I couldn't get any further.

Dear old Borg
Old 02-01-2003, 08:47 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
OK here is my second picture. One of everyone’s favorites from when I first started going to Palace – Bobby Woodruff taken in 1968
Can anyone explain the all white kit? Maybe it was the change strip in the ‘67/’68 season? Where’s Andy Burton when you need him? I actually really like it, pure as freshly driven snow, no manufacturers logo, no sponsors, no league sponsors, no collars, no names on the back, and no trim colours. Guess I’m just a traditionalist, or a closet Leeds supporter!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bobby woodruff 2.jpg (377.6 KB, 1122 views)

Last edited by Hedgehog; 02-01-2003 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-01-2003, 02:03 PM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Love the picture if I am not mistaken from the Tropical Times Football book which I always got from my Mum and Dad for Christmas the sheer delight in opening it and finding a full page Palace Picture on Christmas morning one of the highlights as a kid.
Old 03-01-2003, 02:19 PM
bloody old fool

RtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipper
And look what he's holding! A proper bloody football. Not one of those papier mache clowns bladders that are used today. Great kit though.
Old 03-01-2003, 02:20 PM
bloody old fool

RtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipperRtS has got bluster enough for the sails of a clipper
N herts eagle. Did you get the Tropical Times football book from Jamaica?
Old 03-01-2003, 03:26 PM

N Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is hereN Herts Eagle Sam the man is here
Oooops think its last nights drink kicking in..!!!
Old 03-01-2003, 06:34 PM

Mal Come Ally Son Mal Come Ally Son Mal Come Ally Son Mal Come Ally Son Mal Come Ally Son Mal Come Ally Son Mal Come Ally Son Mal Come Ally Son Mal Come Ally Son Mal Come Ally Son Mal Come Ally Son
Hedgehog - may you never tire of your toy. Keep up the good work

Great pic of a fine player. I never understood why bert Head shunted him off to Cardiff so soon after promotion in 1969 (and yes, I do rememberthe sitter he missed against Spurs). And as RtS says, what a ball!

I seem to remember that the all white strip was first choice for us in the arly 60s. In fact, I had a pic of the promotion team of 63/64 in the all white strip after the final game of that season. Was it Oldham? Ruskin Old Boy has corrected me on that before but my memory fails me again.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:59 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
Thanks guys, I've got a ton more to come so us old 'uns can reminisce (if that is OK with the Dave – Don’t want to take up too much memory and all that?).
The Bobby Woodruff picture is from a magazine, not a book. I know I used to get something call "Shoot" (I think, or "Goal"), so I would imagine it was from that.
BTW it was defiantly taken in '68, as I had dated the page in the scrapbook (I know - Anorak kid ).
Old 03-01-2003, 07:13 PM
Sergeant Magi

Phil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girls
I would say that the team photo is taken at the start of the 69/70 season as Roger Hynd and Gerry Queen are both in it (I think they were signed just before the start of the season to bolster our first campaign in the old 1st Div). Strangely neither of the recognised left backs - John Loughlan and Eddie Presland - are in it. Other players in the squad (but not in the photo) at that time included Bob Golthorpe, Phil Hoadley, Ross Jenkins, Alan Pinkney and Tom Vansittart who all made the odd appearance around that time
Old 03-01-2003, 09:30 PM
The Spiky One

Here is today’s installment.

On the left is Steve Kember, a person I feel is never afforded the hero status he deserves. Part of two promotion winning teams 10 years apart. Twice Manager, once for sure saving us from probable oblivion. A true Palace man, and local boy made good, and 30 plus years at Selhurst Park. We can forgive him his search for the big time at Chelsea, Leicester and Vancouver, but like the prodigal son, he returned.
This picture has to be circa 1968, and was when he still had a fully functioning liver!

On the right, Mel Blyth. Someone I modeled my own game on. Mainly because my Gran used to think I looked like him. Considering I was only about 13 or so at the time, I think that was a bit far fetched, but I did kind of play on it a bit. Sorry he is looking a little faded, that’s how the photo is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg combo.jpg (96.8 KB, 668 views)

Last edited by Hedgehog; 03-01-2003 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:19 AM

wighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietwighteagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Wonderful stuff, Hedgehog, please carry on. I saw my first Palace game in 1968 and could name all of the team on the first pic you posted. That pic was in my scrapbook too!

Seeing the picture of Bobby Woodruff made me think - was he at the 1969 team reunion, or was it just for the team that won against Fulham to ensure promotion? If thats the case, I think it's sad, Bobby's contribution in that season was just as important.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:49 AM

He was there - and from the Holmesdale looking just the same as ever, apart from the grey hair

BYW the team photo must have been very very early in the 169/70 pre-season training as Colin Taylor is in it. I believe he was sold back to Walsall before the season started

Last edited by Mal Come Ally Son; 04-01-2003 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:07 PM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by Mal Come Ally Son
I believe he was sold back to Walsall before the season started
Think it was into the season although he never played in the first team.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:15 PM
Since '67

ozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is here
Remember all those scottish blokes we got from st mirren !!

that 1st team photo hedgehog, i must have stared and studied that in my formative years, to thanks for rekindeling some old fond memories.

you've got john sewell, and john mccormack in that picture as well

rusken you forgot

we call him gerry gerry
no one you see
is faster than he

to the song of flipper (bloody hell the memories a photo can bring back)

Ahh a footnote, roger hynd is one of the back row, if my memory serves me right.

Last edited by ozzieEagle; 04-01-2003 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:30 PM
Sergeant Magi

Phil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girls
Quote:
Originally posted by Ruskin Old Boy
Think it was into the season although he never played in the first team.
The team photo is the official pre-season photo for 69-70. I've since found a copy of an Evening News in a box of old cuttings, dated 5th August 1969 (a big multi-page supplement previewing Palace's first ever game in the 1st Div on 9th August against Man U. - Best, Charlton, Law et al) and that's the photo they used.

Colin Taylor had an ankle injury at the start of that season and never did play in Div 1. I think you're right that he went back to Walsall soon after.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:34 PM
Sergeant Magi

Quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog
OK here is my second picture. One of everyone’s favorites from when I first started going to Palace – Bobby Woodruff taken in 1968
Can anyone explain the all white kit? Maybe it was the change strip in the ‘67/’68 season? Where’s Andy Burton when you need him? I actually really like it, pure as freshly driven snow, no manufacturers logo, no sponsors, no league sponsors, no collars, no names on the back, and no trim colours. Guess I’m just a traditionalist, or a closet Leeds supporter!
The all white kit came in as the main kit in the mid-60's and was phased out around 67-68 when the kit in the team photo came in. There was also a reverse version of the striped kit which was light blue with claret stripes.
Old 04-01-2003, 02:03 PM
bloody old fool

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ozzieEagle
[B]Remember all those scottish blokes we got from st mirren !!

Wasn't it Morton? or was that just the Danes? I seem to remember John Loughlan came from Morton. Or am I mad now?
Old 04-01-2003, 02:10 PM
Since '67

ozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is hereozzieEagle Sam the man is here
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RtS
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by ozzieEagle
Remember all those scottish blokes we got from st mirren !!

Wasn't it Morton? or was that just the Danes? I seem to remember John Loughlan came from Morton. Or am I mad now?
Whoops i was wrong, it was morton !!!

How Palace survied those 1st 3 years in division one is beyond me, it must have been something to do with steve kember

a lot of booze has passed by my liver since then,
Old 04-01-2003, 02:14 PM
Sergeant Magi

Quote:
How Palace survied those 1st 3 years in division one is beyond me, it must have been something to do with steve kember [/B]
Mainly down to John Jackson IMHO, who was unlucky enough to be around at the same time as Gordon Banks, Ray Clemence and Peter Shilton and never did get the international recognition he richly deserved.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:18 PM
The Spiky One

Quote:
Originally posted by ozzieEagle
Whoops i was wrong, it was morton !!!

How Palace survied those 1st 3 years in division one is beyond me, it must have been something to do with steve kember

a lot of booze has passed by my liver since then,
Was Morton, and Tony Taylor was the other one that came with John Loughlan.
As for Steve Kember, OzzieEagle, I guess you have a lot in common with him (i.e. booze through liver)!
My mate had one of those light blue with thin claret stripe shirts, used to wear it down the park.