Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 11-01-2003, 01:32 PM
Sergeant Magi

Phil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girls
I would put the Johnny Byrne picture around early 1962. He won his first England cap in November 1961, against Ireland and I believe left at the end of the 61-62 season.

The photo is also wrong in saying that he was the first Fourth Division palyer to win a full international cap. He was probably the first Fourth Division player to win a full England cap but the first Fourth Division player to win a full international cap was another Palace player, goalkeeper Vic Rouse, for Wales, also against Ireland, in April 1959.
Old 11-01-2003, 04:10 PM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
OK Neckinger Eagle, I think you've just upped the stakes. I can't compete with that one. Great picture, I love it!
I wonder who had died, causing the black arm band? Also, I have never seen older kits with short sleeves, it always seemed to me that it wasn't until the 70's/80's before it became fashionable.
Old 11-01-2003, 09:01 PM

Al From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is here
Does anyone else remember the A6 size programmes from the 64/65 season? I've got a few of them. Tiny they are! Anyway this is later but, up until the 90's, arguably our finest hour. A bit creased and tatty round the edges but still brings back some good memories.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg semi.jpg (32.1 KB, 513 views)
Old 11-01-2003, 09:03 PM

Al From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is hereAl From Bromley Sam the man is here
And here's the man who helped put us into the semi's. Again, its a bit creased.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg taylor.jpg (29.1 KB, 483 views)
Old 11-01-2003, 10:19 PM
Sergeant Magi

Phil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girlsPhil O'Sophical was in another world, a world of 20,000 girls
Quote:
Originally posted by Al from Bromley
Does anyone else remember the A6 size programmes from the 64/65 season? I've got a few of them.
Me too. They cost a tanner from memory!!
Old 12-01-2003, 01:43 AM
The Spiky One

Hedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is hereHedgehog Sam the man is here
This one is for Johnny, he knows why.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg john sewell.jpg (321.5 KB, 444 views)
Old 12-01-2003, 07:14 PM
South London VfB

Neil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietNeil the Eagle came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Great pics, Hedgehog.

Here's the one that I'm guessing think Johnny was trying to post...

Old 12-01-2003, 08:42 PM
The Spiky One

Hey Neil, either your scanner is cr@p, or it's snowing.
Good to see another old away kit. I have another one coming up soon.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:45 PM
Upper Norwood Exile

PalaceFan in Alabama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceFan in Alabama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceFan in Alabama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceFan in Alabama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceFan in Alabama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceFan in Alabama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceFan in Alabama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceFan in Alabama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceFan in Alabama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceFan in Alabama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minePalaceFan in Alabama : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Quote:
Originally posted by Neil the Eagle
Great pics, Hedgehog.

Here's the one that I'm guessing think Johnny was trying to post...

Boy that is yet another trip down memory lane, great strip
Old 12-01-2003, 10:10 PM
The Spiky One

OK you have forced me to post this one. Sorry about the sellotape edges, but it is 35+ years old.
Somebody mentioned this kit earlier in the thread. Wish it was in colour, but for those of you that don't know, it was light blue with claret stripes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steve kember 3.jpg (223.7 KB, 423 views)
Old 13-01-2003, 07:03 PM

One of my most reasured possessions, a Sunderland Echo complete with match report and story of how we got stuck on the trains that famous day...and bought just half an hour after the game had finished. Not that you'd know it, but I am even in the photo of fans running from the station, though they cut my head off in the pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg echo.jpg (64.6 KB, 422 views)
Old 13-01-2003, 07:19 PM
Seldom average

Planet Palace is playing for a contract
Super Pictures Hedgehog

Roger Hind was a real hard man good to see these old snaps. Par Bartram
I remember, he used to run arround like a mad man and this was only the warm-ups before the match.
Keep them coming.
Old 13-01-2003, 07:23 PM

Is that a young James Mitchell (left) in the picture of fans on their way from the station?
Old 14-01-2003, 12:42 AM
Palace Addict

trufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is heretrufan Sam the man is here
Got to say this thread is the business, chaps! Fond memories of the Holmesdale c1971 . . . theme from the Dambusters and "We Hate Nottingham Forest" from the skinheads up the back, wasn't it? Enduring image? Packed shoulder-to-shoulder on the rain-soaked terraces, swaying to "You'll Never Walk Alone". Hmmmmm? Marvellous! Palace versus another London club? Ooh, we'll never win that one, will we mother? Huddersfield Town equal on goal difference? Avoiding relegation by a whisker. Phew! Better than small boys in the park . . . Marvellous!
Old 14-01-2003, 01:13 AM

Gollum Sam the man is hereGollum Sam the man is hereGollum Sam the man is hereGollum Sam the man is hereGollum Sam the man is hereGollum Sam the man is hereGollum Sam the man is hereGollum Sam the man is hereGollum Sam the man is hereGollum Sam the man is hereGollum Sam the man is here
These pics are fabulous and capture my boyhood era (circa late 60's) when Palace got to the 1st division for the 1st time. Wonderful times wonderful memories.
Unquestionably, our survival centred around John Jackson with the formidable John McCormick and Mel Blyth battling against the alamo in front of him.
God knows how we survived that first season.....regularly getting hammered and only conjuring up 6 wins ?
Old 14-01-2003, 04:44 AM
The Spiky One

Talking of John Jackson!
Note the lack of gloves you moden day nancy's! Wasn't until that German guy wore then, then every goalkeeper couldn't live without them. Ever see Gordon Bank's wear glove? I thought not!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg john jackson.jpg (217.6 KB, 367 views)

Last edited by Hedgehog; 14-01-2003 at 04:47 AM.
Old 14-01-2003, 05:39 AM

Lakeside HHH Glazier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLakeside HHH Glazier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLakeside HHH Glazier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLakeside HHH Glazier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLakeside HHH Glazier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLakeside HHH Glazier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLakeside HHH Glazier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLakeside HHH Glazier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLakeside HHH Glazier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLakeside HHH Glazier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineLakeside HHH Glazier : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
I have a similar pic to the Jacko one. Wonderful. Great shot of the old Whitehorse too, pre supermarket. Love the blokes on the top of the bogs ! Remember the ruckus when the match programme went up from 10p to 12.5p around that time ? Also Maurice Drewitt's away train specials that he used to run and take his entire family on ? Pesky's Piece in the programme ? Hedgehog, what about a pic of Alan Whittle, the pocket dynamo ? Better still, stick one on of Paddy Mulligan !! The kits are great - I was in London last year (live in Oz these days) and got taken to Stamford Bridge, didn't recognise the place from when it used to be a khazi, but what was impressive was in the shop (sorry Megastore) they had every Chelsea kit from the last 20 years on the walls. There were some shockers but it was a great trip down memory lane. Why can't Palace do the same ? Hy Money seemed pretty spunky to a 10 year old kid (maybe it was the name) believe it or not. Finally, bring back silk scarves !!
Old 14-01-2003, 09:15 AM
Golden Oldie

Ruskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is hereRuskin Old Boy Sam the man is here
Good on you Hedgehog...at this rate you'll inspire me to buy a scanner, take early retirement and spend the next year loading stuff here. My son found another piece of Palace memorabilia for me - a joint Palace/Swindon commerative booklet - the Bert Head connection of course, with a very young Don Rogers pic.
Old 14-01-2003, 01:52 PM

johnny belongs to Olliejohnny belongs to Olliejohnny belongs to Olliejohnny belongs to Olliejohnny belongs to Olliejohnny belongs to Olliejohnny belongs to Olliejohnny belongs to Olliejohnny belongs to Olliejohnny belongs to Olliejohnny belongs to Ollie
Fantastic photo of John Jackson,Hedgehog.Great memories come back looking at it,the white wall that divided the Whitehorse was where I always stood,I had to be right in the middle,behind the goal leaning forward over it.It wasn't always a safe place as the away support would always congregate there.Had a few scary moments that stick in my mind-a Pompey supporter who must have been 50 odd gave me a leave this end or die ultimatum,and a Reading fan minus a hand but wearing a nasty looking metal hook in it's place (I'm not making that up!) scared the crap out of me to such an extent that I legged it out of there faster than Rubins.
Old 15-01-2003, 07:49 AM

Bobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineBobby Dandruff : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
Here is the only colour photo as far as i know of our strip in 1966-67, with Barry Dyson.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barry dyson.jpg (316.2 KB, 354 views)