Home | Forums | Gallery | Twitter

CPFC BBS  

Go Back   CPFC BBS » Crystal Palace Football Club » Memory Lane

Notices

Memory Lane Memories and nostalgia about Crystal Palace F.C

Old 11-02-2003, 12:10 PM
Captain Fun.

Benzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is here
Champions 1993-94

Having recently snapped up the 93-94 review vid on Ebay for a tasty £1.99, and as someone whose Palace history doesn't stretch back quite that far, I was wondering what people's abiding memories of such a fantastic season were?

I for once would never have guessed that until Andy Thorn got injured Gareth Southgate's partner in central midfield was... Richard Shaw! There are some wonderful moments that I wish I had been around for though - beating Millwall at home, Dean Gordon's last minute thunderbolt in another home game, some splendid Nigel saves, and seeing Chris Armstrong and Paul Williams masquerade as prolific strikers!!

That said, it is amusing to see Alan Smith claim that Armstrong was destined to be better than Ian Wright!

Oh, and I now understand the phrase "What a meatball header" too. 'Bout bloody time.

http://tinyurl.com/yx6v6y9f
Old 11-02-2003, 12:20 PM

markholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proud
Happy days, playing good football & winning many plaudits. Highlight for me was the victory at home to Pompey. Despite it only being 4 games into the season it the team signalled their intentions for the campaign. So many memories:

Gordans last gasp goal at home to Derby will take some beating,
Paul Williams goal at Tranmere to take us to the top in December (which we’d remain)
Damien Matthews goal at Forest (plus the celebration afterwards) will live long in the memory.
Taking over Southend on a warm April Wednesday

Happy days, albeit tarnished by the “last stand” at home to Watford. Makes you wonder how that team struggled to climatise to the Premiership,
Old 11-02-2003, 12:39 PM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by markholmes1991
Makes you wonder how that team struggled to climatise to the Premiership,
No it doesn't. The team had a shyte manager who thought he was bigger than the team. Pure and simple.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:44 PM
Die adler

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
Armstrong was superb that season. He looked the complete player. He had exceptional pace and power and was brilliant in the air. His nickname at the club was Jordan, because he could just hang in the air for headers. I really thought he would score loads for Palace in the premier league but as soon as the 94/95 season it all went wrong. He didnt look interested anymore and apart from the cups he rarely scored.

Simon Rodger was another one that stood out for me that season. His set pieces and crossing were excellent and most people felt he would be a better player than Southgate.

The highlight of the season would have to be the 5-1 against Portmouth, the goals in that game were just incredible.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:56 PM

markholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proudmarkholmes1991 is south London and proud

Last edited by markholmes1991; 22-09-2023 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:01 PM
Back writing about Palace

Grim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietGrim Reaper came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
There were many many highlights that season but one that stands out is beating Stoke 2-0 away. Good turnout out - good weather - great result and then topped off by the tannoy announcements after the match that just about every other result had gone in our favour and we were EIGHT points clear with six weeks to go.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:04 PM
Fresh Vince of Hilaire

Psychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is herePsychokiller Sam the man is here
For me, the highlight was John Salako's hat trick v Stoke on his return from injury!
Old 11-02-2003, 01:08 PM
morale officer

Joe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mineJoe Knight : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
that 5-1 home win over portsmouth was amazing....made even more amazing by witnessing the best diving header ever from Chris Armstong. In fact, that still remains as one of my most favourite palace goals.

i'm desperately after the 91-92 season video if anyone can help.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:13 PM

Gavin Axten was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGavin Axten was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGavin Axten was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGavin Axten was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGavin Axten was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGavin Axten was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGavin Axten was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGavin Axten was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGavin Axten was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGavin Axten was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the worldGavin Axten was playing in the snow, was banging on the doors;  climbed up on the roof, the roof of the world
What a great season that was.In the 5-1 Pompey game you will probably see 2 of the best ever Palace goals scored by Armstrong and Southgate.Also the trip to Middlesbrough where we clinched the championship,what a day!!! We hired a coach,drank all day long and stopped off somewhere in the midlands and got totally wrecked after the game.The Stoke game Grim Reaper mentions was also a good day out,lots of Palace support and Stoke were near the top at the time as well(I think) but we really turned them over.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:25 PM
CPFC season ticket holder

David hopes the chip shop isn't closed, 'cos their pies are really niceDavid hopes the chip shop isn't closed, 'cos their pies are really niceDavid hopes the chip shop isn't closed, 'cos their pies are really niceDavid hopes the chip shop isn't closed, 'cos their pies are really niceDavid hopes the chip shop isn't closed, 'cos their pies are really niceDavid hopes the chip shop isn't closed, 'cos their pies are really niceDavid hopes the chip shop isn't closed, 'cos their pies are really niceDavid hopes the chip shop isn't closed, 'cos their pies are really niceDavid hopes the chip shop isn't closed, 'cos their pies are really niceDavid hopes the chip shop isn't closed, 'cos their pies are really niceDavid hopes the chip shop isn't closed, 'cos their pies are really nice
I have the video of the 5-1 against Portsmouth - what a game!

Anyone got any season reviews for sale? Please Pm me if you have any.

Cheers

Dave
Old 11-02-2003, 01:40 PM

Skin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is hereSkin Up Sam the man is here
I remember winning at Luton with an early goal and then the next day Scumwall and Forest drawing to clinch mathematical promotion for us.

The next home game was in really hot weather against Barnsley, about 20k turned up and the ques getting into the Holmesdale were stretching back quite a bit, I finally got into the ground and the terrace was heaving, I looked over to E3 (the old away bit) and there was a massive bank of empty terrace with exactly seven Barnsley fans stood on it.

About five minutes before kick off they had to open E3 for Palace fans and I assume those poor seven Barnsley must just got lost in a sea of red and blue.

Easliy the most tiny away support I've ever seen.

My favourite match has to be the 4-1 win at the Hawthorns, I was worried the squad would break up after the previous years relegation but that match early in the season showed we were too good for that leauge.

We did very well to keep hold of Martyn, Southgate, Armstrong, Gordon ect.

Best moment was Gordons last minute equalisier against Derby, what a shot!
Old 11-02-2003, 02:15 PM

Morgan is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthMorgan is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthMorgan is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthMorgan is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthMorgan is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthMorgan is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthMorgan is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthMorgan is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthMorgan is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthMorgan is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthMorgan is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truth
Too many good memories to list here.
Personally mine are:
Beating Portsmouth at home 5-1 (great goals from Armstrong & Southgate)
Beating Forest at home 2-0 (Shaw had a blinder in midfield)
Beating both Charlton & Millwall at home.
Away wins at West Bromwich (4-1), Luton (1-0), Portsmouth (1-0 - Eric Young), M'boro (3-2 to clinch the championship), Southend (2-1 - the amount of Palace there was unbelievable), Barnsley (3-1 Armstrong scored after 9 seconds I think)

The team was simply superb and should have stayed up in the Premiership.

However my two abiding memories were at Charlton in the League Cup where we were beaten 3-1. It was the first / second round. the Charlton fans were full of it singing "we are top of the league", which they were. Some wag in the Palace end screamed back "NOT FOR LONG !" How true was that

And strangely getting beat at Notts Co. We crucified them in the first 30 mins. Went two up and it could have been six or seven. Then just before half-time they get a penalty to make it 2-1. The second half was a completely different match, and they nicked it 3-2. God knows how !!

Great days !
Old 11-02-2003, 02:23 PM
Captain Fun.

Benzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is hereBenzhiyi Sam the man is here
I have to say that, having watched the vid, it amazed me to see a Palace team that can cross the ball!

Humphrey, Gordon, Salako, Rodger, even Richard Shaw could all hit a decent ball into the box - and chance we could show Black, Granville, Gray and co a copy of the video so they might learn something?

http://tinyurl.com/yx6v6y9f
Old 11-02-2003, 03:22 PM

tomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of minetomario : if all you've got to do today is find peace of mind, come round, you can take a piece of mine
One of my favorite memories was a 4-2 win at brum just after the Portsmouth victory. We played some brilliant football, Paul Williams scored his first goal for Palace, and there was a large noisy Palace support. Some of the early football we played that season was pure class.

Another favorite memory was the day we clinched the title at Middlesborough. Very drunken train journey up, wandering where Grim Reaper was, he eventually turned up at half time because he had overslept.
Old 11-02-2003, 03:25 PM

Panther Sam the man is herePanther Sam the man is herePanther Sam the man is herePanther Sam the man is herePanther Sam the man is herePanther Sam the man is herePanther Sam the man is herePanther Sam the man is herePanther Sam the man is herePanther Sam the man is herePanther Sam the man is here
Shaw even scored a good goal in an away match at either WBA or Birmingham, running onto a reverse pass from Williams and slotting home with his left foot. (That's how I remember it anyway; no doubt Benzhiyi can correct me on any detail.)
Old 11-02-2003, 03:32 PM
Die adler

Pub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is herePub Idol Sam the man is here
I went to several away games that year but for some reason the Southend one sticks in my mind. The palace away support seemed to take over most of the ground. I cant remember who scored though. Anyone care to remind me ?
Old 11-02-2003, 03:34 PM

Morgan is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthMorgan is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthMorgan is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthMorgan is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthMorgan is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthMorgan is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthMorgan is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthMorgan is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthMorgan is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthMorgan is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truthMorgan is slamming the wasps from the pure apple of truth
Armstrong got one of the goals at Southend - I think Young might have got the other
Old 11-02-2003, 04:22 PM
Veteran

JJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is hereJJ Sam the man is here
Quote:
Originally posted by tomario
One of my favorite memories was a 4-2 win at brum just after the Portsmouth victory. We played some brilliant football, Paul Williams scored his first goal for Palace, and there was a large noisy Palace support.
Jimmy Greaves was the co-commentator for that game (it wasn't live on TV but they showed the highlights). He said "Well that's an excellent goal by Crystal Palace, actually" as if we had no right to play that well.

Panther - Shaw's sidefooted goal was in that game at Birmingham.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:47 PM
Senior member & moaner

Location: Militant Wing of the Dougie Freedman Appreciation Society
Mark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Considering the number of goals Gareth Southgate scored from midfield that season, why is it every commentator treats the chances of him getting a goal for Boro or England as slightly less than Noades paying SJ to take over Selhurst? Or don't goals for Palace count?

One of my favourite memories was the evening home match against Southend (New Year?), who were at that stage one of our rivals for promotion - that bloody dates it! 0-0 until the last minute when sub Jolly stole in at the far post for the winner.

Others are Chris Coleman blowing any chances of winning West Midlands Most Popular Man of the Year with crunching tackles and a "meatball of a header" at West Brom - several thousand Eagles going "boing, boing" on the terracing.

Home against Leicester after we'd lost two games in a row at Wolves. Went an early goal down but won at the death to go top and we were never headed after that.

Winning the title at Boro the day Ayrton Senna died. Waiting on the bus after the game when a rumour spread that the team had come back on the pitch about 20 minutes after the final whistle. I doubt Ayrsome Park ever saw a rush through the turnstiles AFTER a game!

I make Cassandra look like an optimist.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:51 PM
Senior member & moaner

Location: Militant Wing of the Dougie Freedman Appreciation Society
Mark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy dietMark Gardiner came here looking for the peace and quiet; the healthy air and the healthy diet
Quote:
Originally posted by Grim Reaper
There were many many highlights that season but one that stands out is beating Stoke 2-0 away. Good turnout out - good weather - great result and then topped off by the tannoy announcements after the match that just about every other result had gone in our favour and we were EIGHT points clear with six weeks to go.
Best man at a wedding in Essex. Kept sneaking away to get the results. Spent the evening going "YES" every five minutes - Palace were going UP!! A room full of Spurs & West Ham fans had no idea...